Sign in to follow this  
bmw325i

WTB: E36 3:45 diff

Need a cheap diff case with 3:45 ratio to drop a LSD pack into.

If nothing pops up i'll mission it to silverdale and back for one from Ray.

I'd go 3.15:1 or 2.97:1 if I was you Jase. I went 3.15:1 and should have gone 2.97:1

BTW: My Ti runs an E30 medium case. Your coupe runs a different diff casing. You might have to get a different diff with the right ratio you want and swap the crown wheel & pinion into your case. Which will probably mean having to fit bearings as well. I had Diff Specs do mine with a solid spacer for the pinion bearing preload (better when you use an LSD) instead of the collapsible sleave. I supplied the diff casing and the C&P. They fitted it all & supplied all new bearings, cost me $900 + $600 for the LSD + C&P which was a swap for some parts from Brent.

Edited by *Glenn*

3.46 is an odd ratio to find in an E36 is it not?

There is an E30 3.46 but like Glenn says, it's a high ratio for E36.

I would use my 315 case thats in the car now but i want to gear it differently so it has a little more low end and not as much top end which is why i want to go for the 345-346. Anything higher than that will be too much for the open road where as the 345-346 will just.... be ok and will be a bit more fun on the track.

Ooops... I forgot you had the 3.15:1 allready. I still wish I'd gone for a 2.97:1 though. I hardly use first gear

Yeah you couldnt beat the 297 for a nice cruisey round town gearing but wheres the fun in it when you don't want to be round town cruising :P.

Ill need to stop in sometime too Glenn and show you the difference in my cars response etc since going back to the other oil.

You'll be doing just on 3,000rpm in fifth @ 100kph with the 3.45:1 , I think Tony was over 3,000 rpm with a 3.64:1

Edited by *Glenn*

I have a 3.46 in mine ;)

And although it accellerates quicker. you are getting through a lot more fuel than when your car was an auto, aren't you Peter.

You'll be doing just on 3,000rpm in fifth @ 100kph with the 3.45:1 , I think Tony was over 3,000 rpm with a 3.64:1

Yup. Indicated 100 was 3000rpm so just over at actual 100.

Good for track work, a bit tedious for most on the road.

Fuel use didn't seem to suffer too badly but I never really took too much notice.

Edited by westy

Yup, 550 to a tank if I'm LUCKY. Usually 450.

3100 at 100 kph. Whines like a dog at the moment too, need to get it checked over.

That doesn't sound like a 3.46 Peter???

Should be 2900-3000 at 100kph.

Kerry has a 3.64 in his e30, with the Getrag 220 (1:1 final drive) and said it's turning 3300rpm in 5th at 100km/h.

Fuel wouldnt really change too much. Less strain on the motor going up hills/rises etc if its pulling a higher rev. Wouldnt exactly put a LSD is a car if you were worried about fuel though would you? lol. Fuel is the best waste of money you can buy in my opinion. Lovvvvve driving.

Have a couple of 3.07`s and a few 3.46`s (8 bolt). Also 3.38 and 3.45 (6 bolt).

Call if keen.

Regards Ray

3000/3100. Never sat at 100 long enough while thinking of remembering the revs really.