Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

iPod connection

A bloke I work with has an '03 E39 NZ New. He has his iPod connected through one of those tape connector things, is that really the best option? I seem to remember they could be connected directly, or am I imagining things?

You can connect them into your car - Nino (The Cosa Nostra) did it in his e38, looked and worked mint, I think he was advertising to do if for cash awhile back.

He also was able to connect it so that the songs playing came up on the instrument cluster (where the onboard computer shows warnings.)

Edited by MS BM

A bloke I work with has an '03 E39 NZ New. He has his iPod connected through one of those tape connector things, is that really the best option? I seem to remember they could be connected directly, or am I imagining things?

Has the car got TV? If so - yes - can be connected via AV inputs in video module - as per Nino car.

Without video module - don't think it's possible

I've got the dice which uses the cd changer plugs, so even if you dont have a tv module it would still work, i know the guy who imports them over there so pm me if you need one

Good point - forgot about that one. You do lose the CD changer though -if it matters

I've just put the DICE unit into my 2002/03 530i and it works well 95% of the time.

I enquired with the Denison importers, and even before i bought it, they warned me about faults etc !!

The DICE unit shows track names on the Nave screen or the Dash, programable.

Yes, you loose the CD changer, as this unit emulates and takes place of the CD changer wiring, but why would you want a CD when you have 1000's of songs on the iPod!

My prevoius 540i I ran the Harmon Kardon drive + play, but it needed extra screen and controller, i prefer the total integration of the DICE.

I am happy to answer and questions on it - to be honest that is theirt downfall - the info available is poor :(

I purchased a Grom usb unit for mine, You can also plug your ipod into it as well, No problems with it so far and the beauty is you can also plug a thumb drive into it.

>>Clicky here<<

I purchased a Grom usb unit for mine, You can also plug your ipod into it as well, No problems with it so far and the beauty is you can also plug a thumb drive into it.

>>Clicky here<<

Yea, I looked at those too, but decided the go DICE as there is a NZ dealer, and I spend my workdays hearing sob stories from people who think they have saved a buck buying a camera overseas .... until it breaks down and they can't get service under warranty in nZ :(

I have a DICE unit it's Awesome. Richard from gargets4u will sort u out

Edited by M5V8

Probably the best solution, would be to put aside some coin for a Parrot Handsfree. They're great for the handsfree phone kit but even better you can connect your iPhone, iPod, MP3 whatever up to it and it'll work perfectly. No crackly sounds like those radio receiver solutions you find on eBay and TradeMe sometimes.

Heres some pictures from the kit in the X5.

post-5250-1275792061.jpeg

post-5250-1275792044.jpeg

We got it done by RapidRadio Auckland. Real good guys there. Always a Ferrari and something exotic there to look at while that get your car done, or an Xbox to play on.

www.rapidradio.co.nz

Probably the best solution, would be to put aside some coin for a Parrot Handsfree. They're great for the handsfree phone kit but even better you can connect your iPhone, iPod, MP3 whatever up to it and it'll work perfectly. No crackly sounds like those radio receiver solutions you find on eBay and TradeMe sometimes.

Heres some pictures from the kit in the X5.

post-5250-1275792061.jpeg

post-5250-1275792044.jpeg

We got it done by RapidRadio Auckland. Real good guys there. Always a Ferrari and something exotic there to look at while that get your car done, or an Xbox to play on.

www.rapidradio.co.nz

Fit OEM bluetooth & also integrates into OEM nav - no on dash add ons then

Ipod can then be connected via video module, behind monitor into tape or via CD

Fit OEM bluetooth & also integrates into OEM nav - no on dash add ons then

Ipod can then be connected via video module, behind monitor into tape or via CD

Yea. True.

But if you want a handsfree as well. The parrot systems are very good and not very expensive. Work really well.

Best of both worls ... get the parrot BMW integration kit. No ugly modules, Works 100% with ibus controls (steering etc etc) works over factory sound system, supports all phones and BT 2.0 upwards (BMW system doesnt) annnd its not 1200+ dollars for an obsolete module.

Best of both worls ... get the parrot BMW integration kit. No ugly modules, Works 100% with ibus controls (steering etc etc) works over factory sound system, supports all phones and BT 2.0 upwards (BMW system doesnt) annnd its not 1200+ dollars for an obsolete module.

Linky?

There is this Diy for the parrot.

>>Clicky me<<

That's a great DIY. Good solution for not as much $$$

That looks fantastic.

But that is gonna different for those with Navigation. I wonder if jochen could chime in. :)

That looks fantastic.

But that is gonna different for those with Navigation. I wonder if jochen could chime in. :)

Chime!

With navigation, and with the original OEM bluetooth the Telephone option appears in the menu.

I do not know if Parrot support this

Otherwise, if you don't care about having Telephone appear in the menu, everything else will work, because the Parrot just drives the TELM telelphone mute line of the radio 8same for nav or no nav) and responds to key presses of the steering wheel buttons (same for nav or no nav)

Of course, cable length will be a consideration!

But please refer to the Parrot website and instructions for further details.