Sign in to follow this  
briancol

Study show young drivers choose the wrong cars.

From todays MSN home page.

A new study by an Australian university found that the cars driven by most young drivers are major contributing factors in road fatalities

The study by the Monash University Accident research Centre (MUARC) looked at more than 250,000 accidents involving young people in New Zealand and Australia from 2001 to 2005 to find a connection between the types of car driven and crashed.

The study found that the most popular cars for young drivers aged 17 to 25 are major contributing factors in road fatalities.

The results of the study showed that because of the cars they choose, young people have an 11 percent greater risk of death or serious injury if they have an accident.

“These finds are quite startling and concerning,†research team member Dr Stuart Newstead said. “In Australia 181 young people were killed in car accidents in 2008.

"This age group already has the highest crash risk of any age and the type of car they were driving at the time gives them significantly lower levels of protection from death and serious injury in a crash than older motorists.â€

According to Used Cars Safety Ratings calculated by MUARC, the two most popular cars for women, early Ford Laser models (1982-88) and the Hyundai Excel (1995-2000), score only a one star safety rating.

For young male drivers, the two most popular cars are the VL and VP model Commodore (1986-1993), both of which have a Used Car Safety Ratings score of just two stars.

Dr Newstead said the poor injury protection related to a variety of factors, including the older age of the vehicle.

“Even if we just look at cars of a particular age, young people are still choosing the vehicles with worse injury protection performance,†Dr Newstead said.

“If we want to reduce the high rate of road fatalities and serious injuries in this age group, we should be taking heed of this research and looking at ways to change the car choices young people are making.â€

The results showed that among used cars, the Ford Focus, Saab 9-3 and Peugeot 307 are top rating cars in terms of safety.

So, road deaths are due to the fact that young people can only afford cheap cars that score poorly in terms of today's safety ratings?

No sh*t Sherlock... the journalist who wrote this is a muppet! I'll be sure to tell young people from now on to not buy a car until they afford the $30,000 needed to buy a new Ford Focus or Peugeot 307. :wacko:

So, road deaths are due to the fact that young people can only afford cheap cars that score poorly in terms of today's safety ratings?

No sh*t Sherlock... the journalist who wrote this is a muppet! I'll be sure to tell young people from now on to not buy a car until they afford the $30,000 needed to buy a new Ford Focus or Peugeot 307. :wacko:

Why don't you READ what is written before you start calling people muppets.

"The results showed that among used cars, the Ford Focus, Saab 9-3 and Peugeot 307 are top rating cars in terms of safety."

I think the term used here is USED cars.

+1 I agree.

Fair enough facts are facts but I don't think that getting "young people" to drive newer safer car's is the complete answer

Surely the more worrying figure and thing to focus on is the amount of people that drink drive/race/speed excessively and kill other innocent people by the stupid actions.

Any car is dangerous and has the ability to kill people in an instant in the hands of the wrong person.

Edited by braeden.

e34 is a fairly good buy as far as safty goes .

but remember half the safty issue is in passive safty (car handling/braking responce in a emergency)

and then the stupid NUT behind the wheel

Surely the more worrying figure and thing to focus on is the amount of people that drink drive/race/speed excessively and kill other innocent people by the stupid actions.

I would have to agree that these factors rate higher in the "FIX" the problem category. Cars don't kill people....people kill people

Edited by *Glenn*

zzzz zzzzz zzzzz

more pointless stats

I wonder how much they paid for that little gem of knowledge.

That test is completely irrelevant to New Zealanders for a multitude of reasons.

Maybe if cars were cheaper in Australia things would be different.

That test is completely irrelevant to New Zealanders for a multitude of reasons.

Maybe if cars were cheaper in Australia things would be different.

The country is irrelevant Graham although they do say that the sample included both Australian and NZ figures.

The main problem is young 17 to 25 year olds either can't afford decent safe cars, or as I suspect, they buy cheap shitters, lower them etc. for their "boy racer" antics.

Statistics prove that the 17-25 age group have more accidents that other age groups. Maybe if they drove safer cars, then the death and serious injury rate would be a lot lower.

The thing with Australia is that there has never been the huge volumes of 2nd hand Japanese cars like NZ has.

The demand for quality 2nd hand cars is high and so prices stay high,hence young people can only afford cheaper and as a result older cars.

So I don't think the country is irrelvant.We are very lucky in NZ to be able to buy quality late model cars for very little money.

Edited by braeden.

The country is irrelevant Graham although they do say that the sample included both Australian and NZ figures.

The main problem is young 17 to 25 year olds either can't afford decent safe cars, or as I suspect, they buy cheap shitters, lower them etc. for their "boy racer" antics.

Statistics prove that the 17-25 age group have more accidents that other age groups. Maybe if they drove safer cars, then the death and serious injury rate would be a lot lower.

No its not. We have more cars per person and cars are a lot cheaper thanks to Japanese imports. The whole time I have hated Japanese imports I have never thought of this monumental worth.

A young lady/chap that would pay 5k for a 1987 Ford Laser in Australia could buy a significantly saffer car here for 5k.

Edit. As said above :mellow:

Edited by Apex

Also. How many cars on Bimmersport have over a 3 out of 5 star safety rating?

Example: 1997 E36 2 stars out of five :unsure:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw/3_series.aspx

The diversity between the two country’s simply can’t be compared, its completely different.

Edited by Apex

Also. How many cars on Bimmersport have over a 3 out of 5 star safety rating?

Example: 1997 E36 2 stars out of five :unsure:

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw/3_series.aspx

That's not fair Graham. That means my car is unsafe.

I would rather have an accident in my car than some Jappa. I would come out with a lot less injuries.

It’s not about fairness it’s just cold hard scientific testing buy boring European people in white lab coats.

To be fair a run of the mill Japa is proven to be saffer, this Primera of the same vintage scored three stars for example.

Posted Image

Posted Image

E36 are not safe at all but imagine how bad something like an E30 would score with no air bags at all.

E30's have a 3cm long crumple zone at the front and rear, and make for massive neck injuries at even slow speeds.

Still, it's certainly not a wrong car to drive B)

Just drive better, I must say with No ABS, Air Bags, Stability Control, crash structure im a lot more cautious in the E30 than in a modern car.

To think these safe modern cars can only make future drivers less competent.

im a lot more cautious in the E30 than in a modern car.

Same here, I also regulary drive two late model Ford's, obviously I feel far safer in them but the E30 deserves attention, no stability control etc to save your ass.

Study is bullshit, stating the obvious, some people obviously have far too much time on their hands. RAHRAHRAH

End thread/

Young drivers genrally don't "choose" anything. they just get what they can afford/are given.

My mate drives a 1991 Mazda 121. She bought it for $3000. And it's considered a "nana" car. as I usually see older women driving around in them.

My god. It has no side intrution bars!

I agree with Kaz. It's not in most cases what we choose. It's what we can afford.

Personally, I'd feel so much more safer in my e39 than a 307, Saab or Focus!

I think that article is very biased. And I wonder where the author got the stats from. They sound a tad fishy to me.

According to Used Cars Safety Ratings calculated by MUARC, the two most popular cars for women, early Ford Laser models (1982-88) and the Hyundai Excel (1995-2000), score only a one star safety rating.

For young male drivers, the two most popular cars are the VL and VP model Commodore (1986-1993), both of which have a Used Car Safety Ratings score of just two stars.

Oh wow, I never knew my '89 toyota was unsafe. I'll go to the dealer tomorrow and buy a brand new volvo.

Because all young people choose to drive shitboxes, right?

We drive unsafe tin cans because we cannot afford anything else!

What do they want us to do? Get a loan to buy a brand new car?

Stupid study.

Sorry Graham, don't agree at all that the e36 isn't a safe car.

I had a head on smash in my fathers '95 320 sedan years ago. 100km straight into the front 3 quarters of a Toyota station wagon turning in front along state highway 27. Windscreen didn't smash, airbags didn't even go off and all the doors and the boot were still aligned perfectly and could open and close. The Toyota was pushed across the intersection and the couple inside needed medical attention. The car was noticeably bent and was almost unrecognisable from the front.

Thats partially the reason I have an E36 now, its one of the very few cars I actually feel safe in.

Sorry Graham, don't agree at all that the e36 isn't a safe car.

I had a head on smash in my fathers '95 320 sedan years ago. 100km straight into the front 3 quarters of a Toyota station wagon turning in front along state highway 27. Windscreen didn't smash, airbags didn't even go off and all the doors and the boot were still aligned perfectly and could open and close. The Toyota was pushed across the intersection and the couple inside needed medical attention. The car was noticeably bent and was almost unrecognisable from the front.

Thats partially the reason I have an E36 now, its one of the very few cars I actually feel safe in.

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw_3_series_1997/15.aspx

Can't argue with an official organisation. The E36 is a relatively unsafe vehicle. Coming out better off vs a Toyota doesn't really mean a lot. Especially when there are so many variables involved.

I don't know the facts, but I'm guessing that being hit at 100km/h is far worse than hitting someone at 100km/h.