Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Took the old beast out of playday on the track

Did 4 sets of 6 laps (one of the laps is a cool down one) then i left as it started raining.

After the 1st set of laps my tyres were toast and were not offering much in the way of grip, they were FM901's, which usually do the job ok i thought..

After the grip ran out I had some close calls and also came off the track once at the hairpin, the corner that goes onto the main straight was interesting.. i found 2nd gear was too low a gear and 3rd was almost too high, but ended up using 3rd gear most of the time.. could only get to about 105mph on the straight from what I recall, but I wasn't really watching the speedo.

2x of the sets I ended up stuck behind this SIR Civic sedan that I could out corner, but couldn't out accelerate on the straight..

I saw some nice cars out there, mostly Japanese ones, but there was a red Alpina E30 in the carpark and a Red E30 M3 BMW on the track aswell as a white E30 that came in on a trailer (looked like a proper race car).

Was also this Yellow bmw that might have been a 635csi, but I didn't get a close look.

Only took a pic of my own car when I got there, sadly there wasn't anyone at the track I knew except for a guy with a Turbo Primera who's a customer of mine at work.

Posted Image

Edited by Charles28

Good stuff, good to see it out on the track and not on the road!

Car is looking nice on the new wheels.

Now that these 205/55/16 tyres are toast i'll get the correct 205/50/16 size, might help my lack of acceleration.

one thing i'm greatful for is that nothing went from with the car, this is the 3rd trackday i've been to ever and the only one where nothing went wrong with my car :)

Strange that the brakes didn't cook, all I did is flush the brake fluid and used Motul racing brake fluid, only stock pads I think, they came with the car..

I guess the fact that the car only makes 170hp (when new) could be a factor here.

The car needs alot more work really.. the steering is crap (bus style steering rack, way too much movement required), brake pedal feel is average at best.. handling somewhat ... erratic.. but I put this down to my lack of skills and the average street tyres I used.

Ideally I need a better steering rack and another 100hp.. which may mean I should buy a E36 M3.. mmm tempting..

Check the rubber bush that connects your steering column to your rack. Quite often they are worn out. See it quite a bit in the E30 series cars.

The E30 brakes are quite adequate even though they are only little single pots. Though much lighter you should see where the E30 cars hit the brakes at the end of the Puke straight. It is a great way to scare the sh*t out of unsuspecting passengers.

If you focus some more on the handling of the car you can compensate for the lack of power. I love harassing the Silvia's and Civics in my 320 series car at Puke.

any action shots?

Car looks good!

Have you ever thought of taking the white paint off the spoiler so its black again, just to break all the white?

Hi Charles

I'm the owner of the Red Alpina & Part owner of the Yellow E21 Schnitzer Turbo. I saw your car at the track yesterday. A very nice car you have there. Sounded good on the track also.

I'll say Hello next time as I was busy driving out "Custard Tart" Race Car

Cheers

Kent

Hi Charles

I'm the owner of the Red Alpina & Part owner of the Yellow E21 Schnitzer Turbo. I saw your car at the track yesterday. A very nice car you have there. Sounded good on the track also.

I'll say Hello next time as I was busy driving out "Custard Tart" Race Car

Cheers

Kent

Pics of the Schnitzer Turbo?

Posted Image

The Yellow racecar beast..sorry for a tiny pic.. I took these from another forum..

You're getting smoked by everyone!

jokes :D  Same thing happened to me. 

Edited by _Mark_

You're getting smoked by everyone!

jokes :D  Same thing happened to me. 

Hehe.. yeah pretty much it, lol even that 1600cc vtec civic slowly clawed passed me on the straight.. depressing that a nanas shopping car is quicker.. i'm sure I was having more fun in the corners though hehe.

Pics of the Schnitzer Turbo?

Photo's as requested

Edit: Can you resize your pictures and repost them please.

Edited by westy

can you possibly post bigger pictures? seriously 3224 x 2448 ?

Edited by bmw3

The red hot alpina is Kento's, such a beast.

The yellow race car is also Kento's however he has a partnership with jono an active member of the BMW car club / Rennsport if memory serves me correctly.

When did you go out? Was this on a test day or something...