Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

NEONS......

Hey guys, i just want all your opinions on neons on cars, inside and out.

I have been wondering about hiding some white neons in the wheel wells to glow through the wheels at night but i havnt been game enough to try it.

What do you all think?

Rice. you wont catch me doing it. I used to rock them in my foot wells... took that sh*t out haha

neons... soooooooo fast and the furious, i laugh each time i see them

but to each his own, try it. if you like it then keep them, if not then take them out

IMO any neons look jap (aka rice ^). You can easily tell the glow and its obvious they're neons. Maybe LED's?

But anyway, neons on the underside of cars is now illegal. I'd assume it would stretch to neons in the wheel wells.

But anyway, neons on the underside of cars is now illegal. I'd assume it would stretch to neons in the wheel wells.

i thought they were only illegal if you could actually see the bulb?

just be carefull about when you turn them on. yeah im not to sure on the idea tbh, not sure enough to go spending the money doing it anyway

i thought they were only illegal if you could actually see the bulb?

That was the law originally I believe. The reason I said that is one episode of Motorway Patrol I saw had an officer pull over a car with neons. The officer said new law was passed recently that meant they were now illegal. Was on about 3 months ago.

Now I don't know the piece of legislation but I heard a cop say that on national TV so I took it as the truth!

i believe you can run neons if they are correct colour, ie you are allowed red on the back and white/blue possibly yellow on the front, and none on the sides. so you may as well not have them. best neons in the wheels wells = carbon ceramic brakes :D

The law hasn't changed. Cops are either ill-informed, or the lighting was the wrong colour or flashing or similar.

NZTA

I used to have blue ones on my first e30. Misguided. I have alot of the wiring and control units and some of the light bars if anyone wants them to have a play. Blue LED type with wireless remote.

Last time I read or heard about the Law in regards to "optional lights" eg neons.

No Blue or Red lights whatsoever in the front (as that can confuse people to think you are an emergancy vehicle).

Undercar neons are fine, so long as you cannot see the light, only the glow (most neons are made to be like that if installed properly) - this goes for those tyre valve cap lights also.

Only WHITE for Headlights, Reverse, Parklights & numperplate lights etc.

Only red for brake lights.

And bravo has said indicators can be red or amber, in another thread?

Basically, any lights you want, so long as you can NOT see the glow you are legal.

(I cant seem to find the rulings on the website but someone may have better luck finding them?)

Edited by Shady

I posted the link to the regs in my previous post.

As far as indicators go, rear indicators can be red or amber (but not white). Fronts and sides can be white or amber (but not red).

I posted the link to the regs in my previous post.

As far as indicators go, rear indicators can be red or amber (but not white). Fronts and sides can be white or amber (but not red).

My bad, sorry. Didnt see that :unsure:

This PFL E30 I used to see had those completely smoked tails off TM, and all the lights used to light up pink?

It was weird, but wouldn't be legal would it?

Pink? :wacko: Thats weird. I wanna buy some in the future, so I hope not! <_<

Isnt your car a semi racecar?

Don't do it, just wouldn't look right

no no for my drive car not my race car.

Just to clarify i was purely putting the idea out there. dont go thinking im turning rice or anything.

Pink? :wacko: Thats weird. I wanna buy some in the future, so I hope not! <_<

Yeah was pretty odd. I thought the smoked tails only came in PFL?

"This is a great investment which will increase the value of your car and make it look like a newer model."

:rolleyes:

That Trademe crystal look <_<

...Dont Startec make these anymore? replicas even?!

post-2618-1261426564.jpg

^ I don't think so. Reading on a few e30tech threads they were saying it is a 2nd hand ebay find these days.