Sign in to follow this  
DRTDVL

Cannonball Run 2010 - NZ Edition

Posted Image

Well folks i've been asked to do a small write up for the event and i have to say it was a lot of fun.

Matt (MLM) and I decided that the 205 would be a nice little car for the fun run and i quickly decided on the theme as i was hunting for costumes and found the evil mime outfit... At this point the logic kinda went like this...

Mimes = French

Peugeot = French

DRTDVL = Dirt Devil = Evil

Evil Mime = suits car = theme...

I then hunted and found an evil jesters outfit for Matt to wear (without telling him). This was all good and fun until i realised that they where all US sites and it wasn't going to be cheap... I then happened by random chance to stumble across Party Dudes, a costume hire website based out of Queenstown and they had both the outfits by chance... WHOOO team theme completed. Costs where very reasonable, $55/$65 for the outfits and $32 for courier fee (included return postage) plus bond. As you can see by the photos below they looked very good.

Next point of call was Shelley at Attract Signs for some driver (Evil Mime) and co-driver (Hells Jester) names for the 3/4 windows and some race numbers (666) in a funky font i found on the net. After a few delays on my side all the signage was complete and looked again fantastic!

Posted Image Posted Image

The theme was completed with a flashing orange light stolen(well borrowed) for the roof from my work for the weekend.

The event day stated at 7:30 am offically but we where there at 7:15 just to make sure we didn't miss anything, everyone was meeting at the Albany Pub as that was the official start point. It was amazing to see some of the cars that where entered, a gt40 replica (7 year build project), shelby cobra kit car, Ferrari 348, lots of mint American Muscle, and a really nice mix of new/old, jap/euro, modified/standard cars to top it all off... The only minor dissapointment was the lack of costumes, we where defiantly the standouts in the crowd - well anywhere for that matter... The best family costume went to a couple and their 2 kids, mom was Peter Pan, dad was Captian Hook, the daughter (6-7) was Tinkerbell, and the son (4-5) was dressed as a monkey, there where some 70's people (go-go girls, hippie guys) driving a big classic Oldsmobile convertable... We got a nice short safety speach from a police representive and then it was all on...

Cars where handed their mission packs as they left the car park, the missions where fairly easy (1st = drive to hampton downs and take a picture with as many drift cars in it as possible, 2nd = Drive to Tauranga Marina and find a boat and write down the name of it, etc...) the real fun came into the side/bonus point challenges, these included things like best roadkill photo, 10 points for every 69 photo, 300 points for your team and the team who's car you cover in shaving cream, steal someones personalized plate and take an interesting photo without them knowing, etc... There where also a series of landmark photos that you got bonus points for replicating the photo, these where things like the Kiwi 360 kiwifruit, the Cafe 27 (with the corrugated iron girl next to the numbers) which you can see below.

Now just to clearly state i was not speeding during the day, the first car to arrive back to the pub was before 6pm and we got there at 8:30ish... There was a very good reason for me being soo far behind the main pack also... Andrea (My girlfriend) also decided to partake in the event, and on the way to hampton downs decided that her and the 4 other girls would like to stop for breakfast... showing up at hampton downs 25 minutes behind everyone else, being the caring boyfriend i am, i decided to stay and wait for them and drive with them for the day as 600km+ by yourselves would be kinda crappy... We did how ever for some reason manage to make up time on a lot of cars for some unknown reason at the time (later turns out we missed the petting zoo where you could get the pictures of the Donkey and Lama as part of the bonus challengers).

Other challenges involved answering some questions after finding someone in a location (Bombay reststop and Mt. Maunganui). At the Mt. Maunganui question stop you received the rest of the challenges for the day, one of which involved counting the number of stairs at the small island at the beach... Please now picture an Evil Mime and Hells Jester walking/running across the sand of the beach. We where constantly being stopped to have photos taken with us, one person joked we where photographed more than the cars on the day.

We ended up in Rotarua for lunch 3 hours behind the first car!!! He did however miss the Hampton downs stop and later won the award for getting the most lost. Now this is where it got interesting, we had a minor breakdown earlier in the day where the main shifter pivot on the subframe was working itself loose and we needed to stop and tighten it up, which wasn't a problem as i had that Powerbuilt toolkit i won for Movember in the car (it's now the racecar in car toolkit - THANKS OLLIE!) the girls also stopped which we thought was nice (unbeknown to us at the time, they just need the toilet and looked back to see we had pulled over 100m behind them - they also took this time to take a photo next to the big L&P bottle at the Mt. end of Paeroa) this really played in to their favor later in the day as in the second mission book you had to go to Paeroa and get a photo with the L&P bottle... This really really pissed me off as they decided screw us they are going to skip it as they had done it and just go from Rotarua to Bombay skipping the Paeroa mission and being nice like we had been and sticking with them all day.... So they head to Bombay and we head to Paeroa...

Now we where sitting between 110 and 120 most of the time, from Rotarua to Paeroa to Bombay, for some reason we where 15 minutes behind the girls by the time we left the Bombay mission!!!!!! How the hell did that happen!

All in all it was an absolutely fantastic day with some great conversations with other competitors (no we didn't finish last!) and some great memories to boot!

Matt and I also won best costume(s) and i was kinda gutted i didn't win best sounding under 2.5ltr which went to a Rotary powered Black E30. Also best Euro went to a Supercharged E36.

More information on what other prizes can be found here:

Prizes WHOOO!

I've already started to plan my costume/theme for next year... And will highly recommend anyone else to do the event. There was 110 cars on the day. Over 4000 photos where handed in. NZPC has 4gb of photos to sort through!...

There will be a 3 page spread in next months NZ Performance car magazine for those that want more information and more/better photos of the event.

OHHH there was only 5 speeding tickets if i heard correctly at the pub afterwards, although one was a speed camera ticket at 162kph...

see you all there next year!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Nice work Heath. Slight admission - I just worked out Andrea's plate. Maybe it was seeing it on a toilet???? B)

Looks like an awesome day. Will have to book it for next year. Might get best sounding under 2.5 (2494cc)?

Sux that you have to wash the 307 - or did you make Andrea do it?

Where is all the High End Euros? :mellow:

Nice work Heath. Slight admission - I just worked out Andrea's plate. Maybe it was seeing it on a toilet???? B)

Looks like an awesome day. Will have to book it for next year. Might get best sounding under 2.5 (2494cc)?

Sux that you have to wash the 307 - or did you make Andrea do it?

Nope i did it all... Wash, and machine max... Andrea did a full leather clean/condition and cleaned the inside tho...

She had a blast also.

Naughty Lass is her plate. It's actually a friends that has a company car so she can't use it and has lent it to andrea for the last 4 years.

Where is all the High End Euros? :mellow:

Didn't get a pic of them unfortunately... Figured i would as we drove/stopped for challenges but the delay with the girls put a stop to that... Wait for next months NZ Performance car for more images... As i said 4000 photos from the contestants, also 400 from the Cannonball Photographer.

Waiting for the video's and documentaries to be completed also, they arn't due till the 18th.

You didnt get a pic of Ash's E30 rotary !!!!

You didnt get a pic of Ash's E30 rotary !!!!

Pics of bumblebee girls?

As above, didn't get many photos due to being at the back of the pack

That's awesome. Wish I was there. I must enroll for next year.

Hah! my mum and her fiance in the Bronco! i'll see if i can find the pic he was taking of you

Next year they are going to limit it to 200 cars (113 cars this year), and are thinking about making it a 2 day event.

I got a call from the event organisors last night, the 4 and rotary nationals guys asked if the Cannonball run guys would like a stand at the show and shine... They asked if they could use the pug! whoooo it's nice to know they liked the car enough to have it on the stand, unfortunately its already been used for another stands display.

Hah! my mum and her fiance in the Bronco! i'll see if i can find the pic he was taking of you

I'd love to get a copy of any pics of my car if you manage to find more than one...

Nice guys!

haha typical media... first word of the report...Labeling all participants as "Boy Racers".

not the caption!

MONSTER TEAPARTY: Car enthusiasts take a break from the Infamous CannonBall Run.

Guest Simon*

3rd Heath and MLM, well done!

E: Dumbass!

Edited by Simon*

Hey nice writeup! I was there too, thats my e36 and my brother in the e30 in that first pic.

I gotta say the day was all good fun, we were pretty much behind the whole day too, but mostly because our navigation skills sucked and we some how ended up in hamilton twice (despite the planned routes never going through hamilton).

We didnt do the theme thing cos we're useless, but will make a plan for next year haha.

Judging by the reactions of everybody I know, next years event will be MASSIVE.

looking forward to these pics and video.

What are the vehicle requirements Heath... my car be OK as it is ??

Guest Simon*

There's an old thread somewhere advertising the event, but I think all you needed was a WOF and Rego Glenn

What are the vehicle requirements Heath... my car be OK as it is ??

Your car would be fine. Only reqirements are warrent and rego. Most cars were road cars with the exception of us and a few others.