Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Emailing large files ?

I'm trying to send another member some photos I took at Hampton Downs last weekend. The files are 12mp, but xtra keeps timing out and wont allow me to send them. I'm on broad band. Any suggestions ??

Edit: I ended up sending them 1 at a time.. bit of a pain though

Edited by *Glenn*

Gmail?

FTP?

Virtual Data Room solutions for M&A activity (sorry...work talk)

yousendit probably your best bet - or hosting them on photobucket/flickr so they resize

Gmail?

FTP?

Virtual Data Room solutions for M&A activity (sorry...work talk)

yousendit probably your best bet - or hosting them on photobucket/flickr so they resize

The person wanting them, wanted raw files 4,000 x 3,000 all my photos on flickr are 800 X 600

Edited by *Glenn*

Did you try adding them to .zip archive or something?

No I didn't... wasn't quite sure how to do that... I'm waiting for Jon to reply.. he should have got them... I sent them all individualy and they've gone through from my end

Glenn if you get really stuck give me a call, we can work something out for you.

Oh ok. Well all you do is select the group of files and right click > Send to > Compressed folder.

Oh ok. Well all you do is select the group of files and right click > Send to > Compressed folder.

Thanks guys... I'll see if hes got them first

Thanks guys... I'll see if hes got them first

It really depends on the file... Most of the time there is no point compressing jpg's (raw format might be a little different) as it doesn't reduce the file size by much at all, the files end up being about 95 - 98% of their original file size.

Two things.

1. Extend time out via Microsoft Outlook/Whatever program you're using

2. Send through webmail

Burn to disk - courier

Yes I know I can do that or burn to a stick

Zipping is very easy:

Download 7-Zip from here 7-Zip download - Is the best open source zip program and is nice and configurable

Simply select all the images then right click and select "7-Zip -> Add to archive"

Set the file type to zip, encoding method to AES-256, and use Ultra compression and zip those puppies up.

If you really want to compress like mad and save file size, set file type to 7z format, LZMA compression, AES-256 encoding, and ultra compression. Just make sure your recipient knows to download the 7-Zip program in order to open a 7z file.

Edited by pando

Zipping is very easy:

Download 7-Zip from here 7-Zip download - Is the best open source zip program and is nice and configurable

Simply select all the images then right click and select "7-Zip -> Add to archive"

Set the file type to zip, encoding method to AES-256, and use Ultra compression and zip those puppies up.

If you really want to compress like mad and save file size, set file type to 7z format, LZMA compression, AES-256 encoding, and ultra compression. Just make sure your recipient knows to download the 7-Zip program in order to open a 7z file.

Thanks for that Karl... I'll check with him first

Glenn, I have only just spotted your thread - sorry!

The problem is at my end, I forgot the inbox size for the account I gave you is very small, only about 10mb which is only enough for one of the files. I didn't appreciate quite how high your hi-res files are either!!

I have PM'd you my work address as well which has a much larger inbox and should be able to cope with the files.

Thanks for all your hard work on sending these pics through to me - it is much appreciated, +100points to the *Glenn* feedback score!!

Glenn, I have only just spotted your thread - sorry!

The problem is at my end, I forgot the inbox size for the account I gave you is very small, only about 10mb which is only enough for one of the files. I didn't appreciate quite how high your hi-res files are either!!

I have PM'd you my work address as well which has a much larger inbox and should be able to cope with the files.

Thanks for all your hard work on sending these pics through to me - it is much appreciated, +100points to the *Glenn* feedback score!!

Get a Gmail account. I got over 7 gig of room.

SP8's it won't be total size just the send and recieve file size limit. gmail is 20mb email file size limit

If your on Xtra Glen they only have a 8MB send limit but I have been able to send up to 12MB via SMTP or Outlook express/Office outlook/Windows Mail. It was put in place maily so that people couldn't send huge files from a broadband connection to a dialup one because Outlook Express trying to bring in 8MB in on dialup was like trying to pull teeth.

Sorry Clinton, that is incorrect.

Sending limit is 20Mb through both Webmail and Xtra's outgoing SMTP servers.

Sorry Clinton, that is incorrect.

Sending limit is 20Mb through both Webmail and Xtra's outgoing SMTP servers.

I've just had a quick lookski, I thought it was 8mb, obviously changed it to keep up with the times a little, but it's now saying I can send up to 25mb on YahooSextra

Edited by Clinton

That is correct yes. Once it goes through all the hoops the email size increases a fair bit due to MIME encoding etc.