Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

Thread Flaming-who's sick of it.

They are realistically only being that way because they are getting sick of having to repeat themselves on how to go about doing something. I'm sure I've done it myself with some things that I don't know (which is heaps) but come on, for f**k sake they have been doing this sort of things for longer than anyone on here.

Sure, there are different ways of doing things, which are normally more cost-effective etc but there really is no need to start taking the piss when experts repeat themselves over and over.

Its the snide comments that glenn and a few other senior members post which pisses alot of younger members I think, imo. Without those comments I think this would be a much better place.

Well I didnt think it would last long-I can hear the key turning.

Cant say I didnt try-sometimes you guys ARE you're own worst enemies.

I've thrown my key in the sink... others have keys

Ive never seen doos doos post anything useful. Who cares if they have alot of knowledge if they arent going to help anyone.

Couldn't agree more, it sometimes turns into such a negative forum, its simple nothing nice to say about it DON'T POST. Or if someone is doing a project and you don't think they have researched it enough send them a PM, politely.

It's frustrating when you see a thread you go out of control. I seem to remember an older E30 owner always being in the mix of it....

Its the snide comments that glenn and a few other senior members post which pisses alot of younger members I think, imo. Without those comments I think this would be a much better place.

So when senior people take the piss it's the end of the world?

Without them on here,this forum would go no where at all. Every post would be do a skid bol.

Well I didnt think it would last long-I can hear the key turning.

Cant say I didnt try-sometimes you guys ARE you're own worst enemies.

Good try Mark, but it is a losing battle. IMHO the biggest problem is that they see what's on the screen, but don't really understand what's been written, or spend some time looking up what some of the words actually mean.

As I said in my previous post, think about what you've written before you hit the "Add Reply" button.

As 1rotty is pretty much saying, they are next to useless when they use thier knowledge as a way to look down and bag others, rather than use it to help them out. you dont get respected by picking on people. If someone is actually going to help a lesser knowledgable person with thier questions rather than express thier concern of imcompetence which (reality check) noone cares about, then they are going to get respected and not loathed

Sorry mate but that is very definitely NOT what I am saying.

And what is happening in this thread right now proves my point exactly !! Only this time its you guys shooting yourselves in the foot.

So when senior people take the piss it's the end of the world?

Without them on here,this forum would go no where at all. Every post would be do a skid bol.

No it would be fine if you could take the piss out of them aswell. But it seems you cant without getting a warning / posting permission removed / thread lock / delete.

Theres been a few cases where glenn has been dishing out sh*t and if you throw it back at him it turns to a sh*t fest.

Some people are mature, some are not. Communication in the problem here- and unfortunately car mechanics- rarely rubs shoulders with a degree in communications.

We just need to grin and bear it really- without a bouncer at the door carrying out psycometric tests, issues will remain....

Dont expect too much from people and you will not be disappointed

Andrew, with many forums, you have to earn respect when you join. Glenn has been on here for years and to anyone who has been on here more than a year will know how much of an asset he is, he has earned respect from others, I think it is apparent that you havn't earn't it. You can't just come on in wanking about how good you are at xxxxx etc and I know everything blah blah blah without earning respect, from people that A have been on this forum far longer than you and B there is always someone with more knowledge or experience than you, otherwise nobody will take you seriously. I for one, when joining the forum didn't post for a month or two just to get the vibe etc and have now got to a point where a few years later, I have heard from several sources that I am respected by all the moderators/admin. You have to earn your stripes, so stop walking over people who are just trying to give advice in the frankest, most efficent way possible, their lives don't revolve around giving advice on a forum to inexperienced people who didn't do enough prior research. Did you ever think the way Glenn gave 'advice' to you in your thread was because of how you reacted in several other threads you made when you were wrong? The flaming can go both ways, deserved or not.

That all makes sense. But why does someone on here have to earn someone elses respect before they get help on there car that doesn't start ( for example )?

From what I have found on the majority of forums ( Kiwibiker, bimmersport, etc ) is that the majority of people who are asking for help with mechanical problems on there are asking because they cannot afford to get it fixed professionally. There is no point telling them they are not experienced because most of them already know that, and there is no point telling them they should take it into the shop because most of them cant afford it. People just want to do a bit of DIY. A little help from some knowledgable people is all they need.

I have to say the person who seems to help the inexperienced out the most on this forum is Silver fox, he sees through the bullshit and just posts helpful comments.

^ There is a difference between taking advice and thinking you know better after someone was just trying to help in the most obvious way possible. I have said enough, at the end of the day this is the internet, not the real world :rolleyes: life is too short.

Edited by Forrest

^ There is a difference between taking advice and thinking you know better after someone was just trying to help in the most obvious way possible.

Yes, but I have seen a few people on here simply ask a question and the only replies being "your suspension is clapsed" or "learn to spell"

Like I said, Thick skin. :rolleyes:

A quality I wish I had sometimes haha.

Edited by Mark247

Its funny that people on here think this :

Constructive critism = a personal attack

Its the old 'it takes 2 to tango' story.

Someone makes a comment & the op bites back. With just a little patience & thought on both sides these conflicts wouldnt happen.

And if any of this results in Glenn leaving I will personally send my boys round to throttle you.

EDIT; And you know the saddest thing? I'll bet if you all met & had a beer you'd find that you are all good people.

Edited by 1rotty

Come on guys. Unessary comments.

Edited by antil33t

Glenn,

Do not take this the wrong way, but often its the way you/other people, type things. Sometimes its the way you say, and someone people interpret it as a personal attack.

I know that its often hard to interpret the way people are saying things over the computer, e.g. scarism.

Again, this was not a personal attack aimed directly at you it was just that you brought up the matter of constructive critism = personal attacks.

and if they do take it as a personal attack send them a PM, again politely.

Rant over.

umm. please correct me if i am wrong but is this thread not as rotty1 said the exact thing we are all talking about?

I agree that alot of flaming goes on on here. There are people on here with the height of arrogance and there are people who have nothing better to do than to bag people, but we can rant all we want, it wont change anything. You are always going to get those sorts of people. IMO i think we should just get on with it, I agree about not putting in your comments if they are completely useless and sometimes insulting, but i also think that some people read too deeply into the comments and they take offence to some people who are actually trying to help.

The point i am making is there is always going to be flaming and differences in opinions but i think we should just get over it, and that no matter how smart we all think we are we should always keep an open mind about peoples opinions and ideas after all we all learn off eachother. constructive advice is one thing but bagging is just not needed. If you dont think someones idea will work or has a flaw say so in a constructive and fair way and mabey even offer an alternitive or atleast explain why you thought that.

Its the old 'it takes 2 to tango' story.

I'll bet if you all met & had a beer you'd find that you are all good people.

Party at yours mate? :D

Its funny that people on here think this :

Constructive critism = a personal attack

This is what I'm talking about. http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=27723&hl=

This guy posting obviously has very little mechanical knowledge, but the fact he bothered to post a video on youtube and link it to a thread here, to me, means he genuinely just wants some help. And the fact in a previous thread he said he got the car for $100 seems to me to mean he wants to do it on the cheap..

This is what I'm talking about. http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=27723&hl=

This guy posting obviously has very little mechanical knowledge, but the fact he bothered to post a video on youtube and link it to a thread here, to me, means he genuinely just wants some help. And the fact in a previous thread he said he got the car for $100 seems to me to mean he wants to do it on the cheap..

Yea but... "anybody knw whats going on ? " .. come on, what is that? Pretty insulting to ask for _free_ help like that I reckon.

Edited by tastic

Yea but... "anybody knw whats going on ? " .. come on, what is that? Pretty insulting to ask for _free_ help like that I reckon.

Could've just ignored him.

If he kept spamming "Help me help me" then there is the time to stur some shite.

Hes a new member cut him a little slack. sheesh.

He asks 'anyone knw whats going on?' because genuinely he doesn't, cue someone to try and help him. Not take the piss out of him, if this continues it will scare every new member away.

Other members see it as a chance to take the piss and increase the size of their internet cock.

Immature and dumb.

This is Glenn's reply.

"Yes... it won't start

What have you checked ?, have you any mechanical ability and access to tools & test equipment ???"

The first line is simply his idea of a funny opening, just his sense of humour.

The second line is trying to ascertain and eliminate what's already been checked, and finding out what the guy can check himself.

I don't see anything in this myself, but guess it could be taken the wrong way, but again, it comes down to reading what you want to into something.