Sign in to follow this  
Mavrick

Towing capacity on 540i

Morning,

I have been asked whether or not my car (e39 540i) would be capable of towing a race car, approx 2 tonne regularly.

Questions being, what is the maximum towing capacity of my car? Has anyone done a lot of towing in this range using a 540i? and What was it like as a tow vehicle?

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Guest Simon*

Dan (drftit) is your man!

PM him if he doesn't appear to post in here soon. He's using his E39 540 to tow his racecar currently

I use my 528 E39 to tow my 2002 rallycar. Rated towing capacity is 1975 kg (braked).

Performance wise it's OK but there is something in the aerodynamics of the two vehicles that can causes swaying when the speed gets up over 100km.

I'm fairly sure the swaying is unique to my setup as it was never a problem when I towed the 2002 using a Hilux ute, it's also hasn't been a problem when I've towed a Honda Civic or a MR2 behind the E39 on the the same trailer.

Got to love the (lack of) aerodynamics of the 2002's

get a workhorse :D hilux ftw :D

my 740i has a tow bar but dont want to use it. got the hilux for the big stuff

Edited by Docile

All that is required with a 540 is an occasional glance in the rear-vision mirror to remind you that something is actually there.

Has it got a warranty and or cooler?

If you could afford to I'd buy a tow unit, diesel ute or something along those lines.

That could also be the way the trailer is balanced as well

I've tried the rally car in a number of positions on the trailer, some positions are really bad but I can't seem to find a sweet spot.

On the other hand I'm not surposed to be going faster than 90 km/hr anyway so in theory I should never have a problem ;)

Yeah my BMW towbar on my E39 540 has a braked towing capacity of 1975kg's.

They tow very well. Ollie, Andy and myself had a 540 convoy to Manfield with our race cars and gear. Was a very easy run. Even through the extreme twisty stuff Ollies Irish Navman took us through.

The E39 comes standard with a cooler.

I've tried the rally car in a number of positions on the trailer, some positions are really bad but I can't seem to find a sweet spot.

On the other hand I'm not surposed to be going faster than 90 km/hr anyway so in theory I should never have a problem ;)

I know one of the guys in the targa had to put his tools and trolly jack in the front seats of the car to get it to tow nicely as the it was too light in the front. I had to put the 205 as far forward as possible to get it to behave also.

It does sound like you don't have enough weight on the draw bar. Or it may not be a very well designed trailer with the axel too far forward.

It does sound like you don't have enough weight on the draw bar. Or it may not be a very well designed trailer with the axel too far forward.

I don't know that that's it. If I run the 2002 all the way forward on the trailer, you can tell that there's way too much weight on the draw bar as the E39 has it's nose way in the air.

If I sit the 2002 back a bit it's better, too far back and it's crap again.

On the other hand it's nothing that I can't live with, more a case of I get to 105-110ish, get a wind gust and think perhaps I'm going a bit fast.

You have to watch out. I got a fine for 99 in a 100 zone on the motor way the other night.

$30 and 10 demerits. Was a bloody joke.

Mate had the same driftit, Going down a hill near national park, 2 Jetskis in tow and a poleski on the back of the ute.On the brakes to keep it under 100.

Ticket for doing 97, down a hill FFS.

My argument will always be that traveling at 90kph on the open road or motorway will only cause irritated drivers behind you to do stupid and risky things to get past you. Nobody will sit at 90kph behind you.

I guess the rule is designed to cover everyone. Including the muppets towing their two ton late 80's Haynes Hunter on an unbraked trailer behind their early 90's Toyota Hilux. Try stopping within 1km without the help of other vehicles in your way. :lol:

You only have to go down to the Half Moon Bay boat ramp on Thursday or Friday to see why the 90kph law exists. Just picture a late 80's Mitsi Sigma trying to pull up a run down old Haynes Hunter back up the ramp at low tide after it would not start. Fa alisie, Solosolo and Fuamatala are sitting on the bonnet trying to get traction while Tofalau trys to pull the trailer back over the end of the concrete ramp. :rolleyes:

Sorry went WAY off topic again with another story. B)

My argument will always be that traveling at 90kph on the open road or motorway will only cause irritated drivers behind you to do stupid and risky things to get past you. Nobody will sit at 90kph behind you.

so why do idiots with no trailer in clear conditions with very little traffic do 70 to 80 on the motorway?

what really grinds my gears is that cops do nothing about it

Morning,

I have been asked whether or not my car (e39 540i) would be capable of towing a race car, approx 2 tonne regularly.

Questions being, what is the maximum towing capacity of my car? Has anyone done a lot of towing in this range using a 540i? and What was it like as a tow vehicle?

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,

I had a towbar fitted to my 540i, I recall it was rated for 2100KG or so.

But I had to derate it to 1995 KG, because I had to remove one saftey chain eye as it was hitting my driveway

Law says >=2000KG = 2 x safety chains needed

Mate had the same driftit, Going DOWN A HILL NEAR NATIONAL PARK, 2 Jetskis in tow and a poleski on the back of the ute.On the brakes to keep it under 100.

Ticket for doing 97, down a hill FFS.

Thats why the have a 90 km speedlimit on trylers, lastnight a car got the speedwobels and tip the car and tryler over on the same hill, and we are getting delayd again when the are cleaning up the mesh

I rekon it should depend on weight of towage, weight of vehicle e.t.c.

My X5 towing 450kg (trailer & ATV very well strapped down with 10ton of strops)

If I sat on 90kph I'd be more of a danger to people than it's worth. I think the law is outdated & needs revision, on some roads I think it's stupidity to sit on 100kph (without a trailer) ESPECIALLY with late model cars today most of which have ABS, Multiple airbags, crumple zones e.t.c. e.t.c... The 100kph limit was set decades ago for cars that could only compare to wheelbarrows in today's standards. 110-120 is a much more comfortable speed & would suit areas such as the Canterbury plains e.t.c., areas of low risk & long straights.

Well, law is the law and until they are changed, we'll have to stick with it. Besides, it won't make much of a difference in travel time. Arriving few minutes earlier vs a fine, that's a easy one.

late model cars today most of which have ABS, Multiple airbags, crumple zones e.t.c. e.t.c...

I know what you're saying but there are still plenty of older cars that dont. And the other arguement is that the the road toll is still quite high, and hasn't dropped significantly enough where they would even consider raising the speed limit.