Sign in to follow this  
Linden

Registration, LTSA & Baycorp

Alright guys so here is my dilemma with fighting LTSA and Baycorp:

My car got stolen in July 2008, (it was found stripped and burnt 3 weeks later) and taken away by someone a few days later

Unfortunately i forgot to cancel the rego (doh)

I got a letter just over a year later saying the rego had expired for a year, i rang them up and told them the car had been stolen over a year ago, the lady on the phone cancelled the rego and took it out of my name.

pretty much dead on 3 weeks later I received a letter from baycorp demanding $209.59 (to my old address, i had recieved the rego expired at my new one...)

I have written them letters even sent them a burnt out picture of the car, and also a police report saying the car was stolen and the contact details of the NZPolice chch Traffic Officer with all the details.

Here is my latest response from baycorp:

The vehicle was stolen and recovered before the registration expired. Whether or not you got the vehicle back after it was recovered, you were required, under the Transport (Vehicle And Driver Registration And Licensing) Act 1986 to deregister the vehicle.

As you did not de register it you remain liable for the outstanding registration fees which are not waived.

Please contact our call centre on 0800 560 505 to arrange payment of the account.

Anyone have any input cause its just starting to piss me off even more, surely it would have been better for the lady in the first place to leave it in my name and let my rego expire (no fees right?)

Linden

You said she canceled the rego, which means it was dereg'd so, no, you are not liable. Cos according to you, the lady said it was canceled - same thing as de-regd.

Edited by Shady

But if it was a year later, pretty much you left the rego out for a year so you owe them for roughly a year until you had it de-regd in 09. If it was on hold 08-09 then that would mean you wouldn't have to pay it.

Yep, if you let your rego lapse you still owe the fee from between when it ran out and when it expired.

Yeh its lame I dont have $210 to waste on those homos especially when I can prove it was stolen before the rego ran out...

Ignore Baycorp, go to the LTSA and plead your case, poverty, student(?), whatever works and keep going with them until you have exhausted everything. If you sort it with them, you can ignore Baycorp.

Been thru this sh*t with baycorp over a old "HP"...rang up one day got outstanding balance etc, paid the lot, paid and extra Dollar even 'casue I couldn't be bothered with 34cents or something.Like 8 months later they're after me for $210... $4 for the camera and the rest admin and late fees and other Bullshit, basicly told them to stick it! I'd pay the $4 right now but refuse to pay the rest as i'd asked for a closing balance and could prove I put the money thru and all their phone calls are recorded so said don't bullshit me, I got nothing but time, im only 18, I can live with a f*cked credit rating for quite some time, got put thru to the manager, came to the agreeement for the WHOLE $4 to be transfered right then and there for him. end of.

walked away from that quite happy with myself...would have paid the $210 in the end as I didnt really want bad credit ratings and sh*t! LOL just thought i'd try my luck.

When i got my first car (N13 Sentra), it was sitting outside my grandperants house for 2 years on a lapsed rego. Somehow we got it put on hindsight (cant think of a better/the correct word) hold which meant that it changed the licencing on the verhicle from 2005 to 2007 (when i got the sentra) to on hold. that ment that we didnt have to pay the full few hundred $. I wish i was the one that organised it so i had more details for you! We only ended up having to pay $30ish to do that as well, and didnt involve de-reging the car. Pretty sure we had to prove that the car hadnt moved since 2005 though

Ive been dealing with Baycorp and they're being wankers, I will try talk to LTSA again and see where i can get, I reckon its pretty f**ked up how quickly it went to baycorp from ltsa especially with an OLD address when they had been using my new one... I had to change my address with baycorp twice after contacting them also as it never got updated...

I take it you received an insurance payout? If so, check this; when the insurance company pays out they assume legal ownership of the vehicle. When they pay out they are assuming vehicle ownership - check the fine word of the policy!! That being the case, it is the job of the insuance company, as now being the legal owner (after all, they PAID you for the car, right??) to deal with matters relating to registration etc.

My wife had a car stolen a number of years ago, and we had to resort to this tactic to get the various "bodies" off our backs!

Edited by bikerchris

I use to work for Baycorp collections.

The person you are dealing with has NO interest in hearing your case. They will do whatever they can to get the money from you. This goes towards their bonus system.

As others have said. Don't bother trying to plead with baycorp. Go back through to the LTSA if possible. As Baycorp will draw the process out as long as they can to make sure they are the ones getting paid.

I walked out on this job. The techniques they teach you to recover money were quite often morally wrong in my books.

But it sounds like your going to have to pay sorry mate. If you had gone through Insurance the insurance company would have de-regd the car. In your case this process should have been done by you.

Your not the first to be caught out. LTSA and Adfit (Gym Membership Wankers) would have to be Baycorps most regular clients.

am I missing something?

shouldn't there be something like a written invoice or written payment request in between,

"the lady on the phone cancelled the rego and took it out of my name."

and

"pretty much dead on 3 weeks later I received a letter from baycorp demanding $209.59 (to my old address, i had recieved the rego expired at my new one...)"

I know that at my work we have to be able to prove that we sent invoices to the client at their postal current address

Edited by Wom