Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

E28 535i manual

Guest Simon*

Posted Image

So I went and had a look at this tonight as it lives just down the road.

From the ad:

This car has been created from a 1985 528i body and an 1987 M535i rolling gear (engine and suspension). What I wanted was a fast and powerful E28 manual without all the trimmings that come with this. In other words, a powerful machine that didn't advertise the fact (like the first European E28 M5's)

Details are:

1985 528i body ( 255,000kms)

1987 M535i engine (190,000kms)

Standard manual 5 speed gearbox

Standard 25% slip differential

16" 540i wheels

Recently resprayed

All modifications made by professional mechanics using genuine BMW parts except for two silencers on exhaust system

Looks great on the outside. Inside is clean but showing age ie cracks to dashboard.

WOF and Reg.

Nice looking old school car that runs well. I have spent a fortune putting this together but now selling as I have bought a station wagon.

The car is exactly as advertised. Very tidy for its age, 1985 - some cracks in the dashboard, a bit of wind noise around the door seals etc but everything works. No rust i could find anywhere, not under the doors, trims, arches, around sunroof, under spare wheel or carpets.

He's owned the car for 4 or 5 years and as stated has bought a wagon (a tidy blue old school Audi S6) - the engine swap is professional and the car drives very nicely, pulls hard and just has a noisy front shock.

Not mentioned in the ad is the fact he still owns the donor car, the 2.8, an auto box and full red leather interior which I'm sure would easily be negotiated into the sale.

Some of you may have the car as a fixed-price offer currently for $3k and it may come up on TM again but I have his numbers if anyone would like them.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone is interested.

Cheers :)

I would love to buy it. But, somebody must releive me of my nana car first. It's on my wish list and good to hear you like it!

Oh, did you take it for a drive?

Edited by dirtydoogle

You bet I did! It goes bloody great, I'd be happy to own it.

Oooooh soooo tempting now! Does she ride nice? God it looks great

I'm printing for sale sign out for my car now. I could do with one of these.

If only it has the mtech kit.

Thats a pretty cool car, am tempted to buy it if my E30 ends up selling, had a bit of interest in it today.. so anythings possible

I'm supprised the E28 M5 on Trademe is taking so long to sell. Seems well priced and they go for more that his asking price overseas.

I'm supprised the E28 M5 on Trademe is taking so long to sell. Seems well priced and they go for more that his asking price overseas.

I agree Phil - nice car; a very good friend of mine bought that car 5 years ago- it was a ex Japanese, Sth African build car. So has the full m-tech kit that many of the brit car's don't have. My mate spent $7k re-spraying it and sold if for $35k toa guy in Orewa. It was in mint condition when he sold it. There were only like 187 RHD made (UK) so even with the Sth African cars, rare as hens teeth.

Niche market- so much fun, goes like stink but isn't 'pretty' enough for some people for a classic car. I am figuring that car needs a new chain. BTW- the owner in Orewa re-built the suspension. It is a nice car.

Someones offered him 2500 cash so i guess it will sell.

Shame though, Would have sold in CHCH in 5 min

Hi all, just to keep you up to date, this M535i powered E28 has now taken up residence in the East Coast Bays, Auckland.

We won the TradeMe auction with a single bid of $2,800. My son and I jumped on the Intercity coach 7:45am, Saturday morning and headed down to Hastings. By 4:00pm we had taken delivery and were driving back to Auckland. With a one hour stop in Taupo we were back on the Shore by 10pm. What a fantastic drive to get to know the M535i, left a huge :-) on our faces.

The car went great other than a strange problem which I am hoping that someone on this forum may be able to advise on. My son was driving and as we hit Cambridge we noticed that the car was running a little rough. The engine had been smooth until then. When we drew up to the traffic lights in Cambridge, the engine cut out. We restarted; it ran rough and died again. The only way we could continue was by keeping the revs up. Once moving at a decent pace, the car ran well, from here we avoided using 5th and found the car moved well between 100-110km/h in 4th at 3500rpm.

When we got to Hamilton, the problem seemed to have cleared up. The car was running smoothly and idling easily at the traffic lights. The problem stayed away until we crossed the Harbour Bridge and were approaching the Upper Harbour Highway off-ramp. We were suddenly running rough again and when we stopped at the lights on Constellation drive, the car wouldn't idle and would die if we didn't keep the revs up. We got home, introduced the E28 to its E30 stable mate and tucked it into bed.

Today we got the air filter out (looks like genuine BMW) and knocked all the dust out. I also got the plugs out. They were the recommended NGK items but were pretty black and fouled (not oily, just black soot). After a quick clean they were replaced and we took the beasty for a spin. We drove around the shore for 30min, stop start and a quick blast down the motorway. We had one cut out at a traffic light on East Coast road so I am not convinced we have sorted the problem. The car is running smoothly again but I am wondering about the root cause of the problem.

I did a bit more investigating as I was worried about the M535i power plant grafted into the 528i body. What I have found is the following.

The base car is NZ new and when I ran the VIN I found that it wasn't equipped with catalytic converters. I don't know anything about the car that the M535i motor and ECU was extracted from.

I do know that there are two versions of the M535i engine, a low compression 182bhp designed to be used with catalytic converter (all US models, some euro models and all AU models) and the high compression 218bhp designed to be used without a catalytic converter (some euro models and all South African models). I don't know which engine\ECU combo is installed in this E28 and I don't know how to identify which it is either. I had a look at the ECU and it's a Bosch 0 261 200 059 (1 705 619.9) with the number 965 circled. Does this tell me anything?

What should I expect if this is a low comp unit installed into a car which doesn't have cat converter? What makes the engine low comp, is this controlled by the ECU or components within the engine itself?

I do apologise for the heap of really dumb questions, I am a total n00b when it comes to this stuff.

We would be really grateful if anyone could offer advice.

We had the car down at Murray's Bay beach today, pic attached.

Hope to see you all on the road sometime.

Cheers

Tony

post-4274-1269754100.jpg

Edited by .::Tony::.

Damn, completly missed this. Would have been all over this.

Oh and also, did you get the donor car? If so, wanna sell me the red leather?

Being that you are in Auckland I would get either two of the following members on here to look at the vehicle for you Brenthartege, or *Glenn* from Botany motor works.

They will sort that misfire problem out with minimal fuss and it stops the gessing game, sounds like a sensor problem to me, but hey like I said get somone who nows.

Good buy well done.

Id replace the DME & fuel pump relays, cheap fix & might solve it. Had similar problems with old e28 cutting out now and again due to bad fuel pump relay.

Congrats Tony, looked like a sweet buy even with your little issues. Take it to Glenn at Botany Motor Works when he gets back after April 6th if you can't find a fix yourself.

Your rough idle problem could be overfueling. I had the same thing happen on my E30 (running rough and cutting out at lights) turned out to be a faulty thermostat tricking the ECU in to thinking the engine was cold and needed more fuel.

Nice purchase BTW... you got quite the bargain.