Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

V8 Supercars

But the V8 Supercars is about the racing. Not the brand names. And other than the shape they have nothing in common with the road whales anyway.

I am really interested to see where the series goes over the next few years.

Would actually like to see more manufactures compete in it. I whole bunch of great things would happen for both the aussie v8s and the profile of the sport if the germans joined in.

a 550 six speed would be the go,doesnt have to be an M5 in europe they have a superstars series 5 litre rear wheel drive,audis,jags,BMW e39 M5s E60 545 and 550's...

Its not that I don't hate falcodores (but I do) - its the way in which it was done and how boring it is now. My mates don't really have falcodores (a couple do, but only because work issued them with their pen, calculator, notepad and keys to a company falcodore) so we don't rally around the "biggest race series" in Australasia. Someone made a big assumption that everyone either was blue or red. Wrong.

It went from involving everyone who is into cars (Nissans, Volvo, BMW, Holden, Ford, Toyota, Mazda...) to a series where only people who like Aussie V8s can participate. I understand that they just changed the class, but to the average joe - they banned teams other than the falcodores. I literally haven't watched the whole circus since 1992. I was sooooo into it back then for years and years.

I love racing, really enjoy it - but when I get the V8 FamilyCars being forced down my throat by the media as "here is the 34th bathurst 1000" - it gives me the shits. Its nothing like the previous bathurst races. Now we have a formula where technology is at a standstill, no innovation, ugly, slow, bad handling and the boring old V8 drone....snore!!!!

People enjoy diversity - the youtube clip of the BMW e30 M3 vs Falcodore 5.0 V8 is a great example of a race team vs race team. "Exact formula" style racing like Formula Fords, A1, NZV8 is really boring as piss. Thats why they struggle to get numbers - and therefore support. I know they are an important part of racing too - but lets get the big mashup back!

I hope like hell that the series declines to the point where they have to bring back the old formats. Most young people these days aren't interested in V8s as much - they look at them like a old retired bull in the paddock bellowing out the same old soundtrack and laugh.

I know there will always be a place for a V8 - that's all good, but at least lets have some other teams and formats allowed to bring more people back to the racing.

"biggest race series" - Can you name a bigger australasian series?

where technology is at a standstill, no innovation, - May i suggest you do some research regarding that.

slow, bad handling - As above.

Like them or not, the Holden V Ford format has become a HUGE business and the worldwide viewer figures atest to that. So i don't know how you came to make the statements you did.

Its not that I don't hate falcodores (but I do) - its the way in which it was done and how boring it is now. My mates don't really have falcodores (a couple do, but only because work issued them with their pen, calculator, notepad and keys to a company falcodore) so we don't rally around the "biggest race series" in Australasia. Someone made a big assumption that everyone either was blue or red. Wrong.

It went from involving everyone who is into cars (Nissans, Volvo, BMW, Holden, Ford, Toyota, Mazda...) to a series where only people who like Aussie V8s can participate. I understand that they just changed the class, but to the average joe - they banned teams other than the falcodores. I literally haven't watched the whole circus since 1992. I was sooooo into it back then for years and years.

I love racing, really enjoy it - but when I get the V8 FamilyCars being forced down my throat by the media as "here is the 34th bathurst 1000" - it gives me the shits. Its nothing like the previous bathurst races. Now we have a formula where technology is at a standstill, no innovation, ugly, slow, bad handling and the boring old V8 drone....snore!!!!

People enjoy diversity - the youtube clip of the BMW e30 M3 vs Falcodore 5.0 V8 is a great example of a race team vs race team. "Exact formula" style racing like Formula Fords, A1, NZV8 is really boring as piss. Thats why they struggle to get numbers - and therefore support. I know they are an important part of racing too - but lets get the big mashup back!

I hope like hell that the series declines to the point where they have to bring back the old formats. Most young people these days aren't interested in V8s as much - they look at them like a old retired bull in the paddock bellowing out the same old soundtrack and laugh.

I know there will always be a place for a V8 - that's all good, but at least lets have some other teams and formats allowed to bring more people back to the racing.

GTR's were never banned. Group A formula stopped. I dont see how people cant understand that.

so true

I wouldn't mind seeing ford/holden use their latest designs on the track....

both ford/holden use IRS nowdays, ford's V8 is DOHC.

be funny as sh*t to see an XR6 Turbo Vs the V8 holdens <.<

The cars are so limited in what they can do, to create parity. If the cars are free to use the latest and greatest technology one brand is bound to pull away and parity is lost. This is even more of a problem if you introduce other brands like BMW and Merc. They don't belong in the series at all. They have nothing in common with the existing brands. Watching one brand dominate is boring.

There is already a race series in Aussie that involve the high end cars. And you hear nothing of it. Because average Joe Dingo who is your Motorsport nut can't relate to those cars. Likeyhood is that he will never even drive one. But with the V8's Mr Dingo no doubt has a 5 year old SS or GT sitting in his driveway. This is my theory why the series is so popular anyway.

The cars are so limited in what they can do, to create parity. If the cars are free to use the latest and greatest technology one brand is bound to pull away and parity is lost. This is even more of a problem if you introduce other brands like BMW and Merc. They don't belong in the series at all. They have nothing in common with the existing brands. Watching one brand dominate is boring.

There is already a race series in Aussie that involve the high end cars. And you hear nothing of it. Because average Joe Dingo who is your Motorsport nut can't relate to those cars. Likeyhood is that he will never even drive one. But with the V8's Mr Dingo no doubt has a 5 year old SS or GT sitting in his driveway. This is my theory why the series is so popular anyway.

Agree 100%, Espcially to the 2nd point. Sums it up well

From Wikipedia: " V8 Supercars provide the closest racing of any touring car category, with the top twenty usually qualifying within one second of one another."

Boring? Maybe you should actually watch a race. Ugly? So what? Do you watch racing to whack off to gorgeous looking cars? Boring V8 drone? I'd rather hear the roar of those V8s than your modern Turbo'd quiet straight six hum.

The V8 supercar is just a shell, who gives a crap what it's based on. If they chucked a three series body on the same shell, you'd probably watch it. I love watching the NZ suzuki swift series. It's entertaining, close and they bash the crap out of each other. Who gives a crap if they're 90kw japanese hatchbacks.

Fair enough, I'd watch it more if a few different cars were chucked into the mix, providing the racing still remained as close and exciting as it is.

Really? As far as I'm concerned, the V8 loving bogan NZ youth is still pretty plentiful in 2010

Thanks for the suggestion that I do more research - its actually WORSE than I imagined...

2 valve, pushrod design? I'm not even going to start researching the suspension - I might dig up a leaf spring live axel rear end???!!!

Why do people stand for this 1954 technology being put forward as cutting edge!!!!!

<snip>

A V8 Supercar must have a front-engine design and rear-wheel drive. Every car is powered by either a 5.0 L Ford "Windsor" SVO or 5.0 L Small Block Chevrolet race engine (depending on the make) which is capable of producing between 460 and 485 kW (620 — 650 bhp) of power, but generally quoted as a little over 450 kW (600 bhp) in race trim. Engines have pushrod actuated valves and electronic fuel injection. Both Ford and Holden engines are based on racing engines from their respective US parent companies. Engines are electronically restricted to 7,500 rpm.

Broadly speaking, the engines have a capacity of 5 litres, with 2 valves per cylinder. Compression ratio is regulated to 10.5:1.

</snip>

No one accepts that the engines are cutting edge. It's not about being cutting edge. This isn't formula one. It's about providing good, close, exciting racing. And that's what the series delivers.

450kw from 5 litres? So that's 90kw per litre from an NA engine. How much is your "hi tech" twin turbo, dual overhead cam, all aluminium block straight six BMW donk from 200X producing? About 15kw per litre less than the 1950s lump of iron.

Guest Ari Gold

Those taxis are never going to get a fare if they keep racing in between those concrete walls!

Those taxis are never going to get a fare if they keep racing in between those concrete walls!

I hear what you're saying, I have the same problem. :rolleyes:

Guest Ari Gold

I hear what you're saying, I have the same problem. :rolleyes:

Chuck in the seat in the back and I'll pay you standard taxi fare for hot laps round HD. Dead serious :D

They need all the help they can get - and the help may come from Merc, BMW and Toyota!

(Nissan and Mazda won't be allowed - you watch)

And as soon as they do the series will disband due to massive parity issues and an even bigger lack of spectators due to the current ones no longer watching their favourite cars win.

Don't know why you guys hate on the series so much. If it did no longer run what other series is there to watch that has Kiwi drivers and massive competition? There is none.

Just stick to catching 10 mins of the highlights on a Sunday when your Mrs changes the channel to it by accident. Lets hope the series stays around for the real motorsport enthusiasts.

And as soon as they do the series will disband due to massive parity issues and an even bigger lack of spectators due to the current ones no longer watching their favourite cars win.

Don't know why you guys hate on the series so much. If it did no longer run what other series is there to watch that has Kiwi drivers and massive competition? There is none.

Just stick to catching 10 mins of the highlights on a Sunday when your Mrs changes the channel to it by accident. Lets hope the series stays around for the real motorsport enthusiasts.

There speaks a single man.

:rolleyes:

Hahaha so true Dave. You not have a TV in the workshop?

And the Clipsal race 2 was badass.

280000 people through the gates in a weekend. Unpopular??

X2. The last hour was bloody good, better than some Bathurst final hours of late.

All you V8 haters need to pick your dresses up off the ground and head to a V8 race! After that tell me you didn’t get a slight petrol powered testosterone hardon for the sport and the brilliant festival that is V8 supercars, the cars and the atmosphere is totally awesome live! Who goes to the sevens to watch the rugby??

I would love to see the Formula moved to a full silhouette series as it has been heading towards for a few years now, unfortunately I can’t see it happening in the next five years in-between witch time this type of thread will pop up a thousand more times and some noddy will say that the Godzilla was banned and the V8's are prehistoric.

What’s new.

Guest Simon*

I don't have any inclination to back either Red or Blue in the Supercars so feel a little removed from the action - and more than a little amused watching the antics of the competing "tribes" ;)

I am mildly interested in how the Kiwi drivers fare, but that's about it I'm afraid.

I WOULD however be interested in a more "touring car" style series with a wider range of marques than just the two Aussie (US) ones

I don't have any inclination to back either Red or Blue in the Supercars so feel a little removed from the action - and more than a little amused watching the antics of the competing "tribes" ;)

I am mildly interested in how the Kiwi drivers fare, but that's about it I'm afraid.

I WOULD however be interested in a more "touring car" style series with a wider range of marques than just the two Aussie (US) ones

What I think you guys want to see is BMW or Merc deal to the Holden and Fords. Which they no doubt would. Why ruin a series to prove this.

Reality is they won’t be based on production cars and will share lots of components between teams regardless of “manufacturer” all will have to subscribe to a formula and to a budget and testing cap and all team members will have to be Australian, if anything it wouldn’t be the competition that kills’s the sport it would be the regulations.

Will be very surprised if anything eventuates this decade, as mentioned above, they get the numbers to the events and Holden and Ford sell sh*t loads of cars and it is very entertaining as it is.

Reality is they won’t be based on production cars and will share lots of components between teams regardless of “manufacturer” all will have to subscribe to a formula and to a budget and testing cap and all team members will have to be Australian, if anything it wouldn’t be the competition that kills’s the sport it would be the regulations.

Will be very surprised if anything eventuates this decade, as mentioned above, they get the numbers to the events and Holden and Ford sell sh*t loads of cars and it is very entertaining as it is.

Too true.

I love the "technology" debate....

What "new" technology should they use?

OHC configurations have been around since 1902 from memory. [WW2 aircraft had fuel injection too on a side note.] Four valves per cylinder were on a production indian in 1908, not the first 4v head either. Independent suspension has been around for many, many years. So, none of the "technology" they "lack" is new really is it?

Pointless debate. All that "technology" and who can name the two highest hp per liter motors in the world? I'll give a hint, neither use the wonderful "new" yet 100+ year old technology.

But, in my opinion a production class series would be hugely interesting and far cheaper for the entrants.

Edited by dirtydoogle

That still doesnt get past the cart axle in the back though

I can't make an excuse for that. Just aslong as people aren't going to say they need "new" tecnology IRS.

I'm not a fan of the cart axle....it's not even there for cost purposes....they have spent hundreds of thousands developing the system.