Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

V8 Supercars

There is a dirty lil rumor going around that BMW and Merc will be joining the aussie V8 super car series soon.

'apparently' mercades confirm this is the case. BMW are saying nothing at this point.

f**kin win on so many levels if its true.

Guest Simon*

Epic awesomeness!

What are the current rules regarding Supercar spec? ie Engine size, N/A only presumably, weights, etc etc???

Would be interesting to see what the Europeans would enter

I read this yesterday and they are going to allow trans axle gearboxes that are rear mounted, Independent rear suspension and OHC engines. The drivers will be in a more centred position in the car for better safety. The merc prototype is being built atm apparently.

Edited by chris00

Guest Simon*

Was kinda hoping to see a stripped out M5/M3 manual sedan with worked motor :D

According to my Dad there was a story in the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday stating most of what has been said. CBF'd searching online for it but I am sure it was there. Sounds promising, but it is basically saving the series from certain death in it's current format.

If BMW and Merc can use new engines, then I guess there will be a huge change in the Fords and Holdens as well which are currently running old Windsors and small block chev engines which were designed approximately 450 years ago.

Well the Falcons are moving to a front wheel drive chassis, from memory it was the Taurus/(insert common as dog sh*t american ford sedan chassis here).

Well the Falcons are moving to a front wheel drive chassis, from memory it was the Taurus/(insert common as dog sh*t american ford sedan chassis here).

I thought that rumor ended up being rubbish, or?

No, the rumour about Falcons being canned was rubbish.

No concrete decisions have been "publicised" (note I didn't say "made"), but the news is that the Falcon is very likely to move to a FWD format at least for production cars. And yes, it was the Taurus platform that they were looking at.

But it's a similar story for Holden (not that they are going to FWD with the commie, but that they are not likely to be doing an all-Australian design like the VE when it is replaced). At least whilst GM is still in trouble. The new gen/FL VE is not going to be much different either - some minor cosmetic changes and some fuel economy and emissions improvements.

Looking forward to new V8's. But I'm with Simon - strip out an m3 or m5, throw the race motor and drivetrain/suspension in, and go.

Guest Ari Gold

Merc have already got a DTM chassis, why not include Audi as well? Holden surely could use the Opel chassis, meaning only BMW and Ford have to come up with something from scratch.

Toyota can't be too far behind if it does get opened up.... They are already in Nascar.

Can't say I am a fan of the one-off prototype (like F1) racing. I think the appeal of V8 Supercars is that they aren't that far evolved/devolved (depending on your point of view) from everyday vehicles - so a V8 M3 in the mix would be sweet. I do think it needs to be modernised and more manufacturers involved - so good on them for finally recognising this.

But more than anything else it needs to be close racing based on real production vehicles! That 1987 video of Peter Brock (VK Commodore) and Jim Richards (JPS M3) doing lap after lap door handle to door handle was brilliant. As is the 80s footage from Bathurst with Falcons, Commodores, Camaros, Jags etc.

Group A anyone?

20,000,000 Aussie commonwhore fans will be fuming about this.

Personally I'm stoked and I might actually watch more than one race a year (bathurst). I hope all the cars will still be evenly matched. It'd be boring if ze Germans just came in and cleaned up every race.

Love to see an m5 with a revised version of the v10 in there *drooooool*

It'd be boring if ze Germans just came in and cleaned up every race.

They'd just do what they did with the nissan's and get the ban stick out

20,000,000 Aussie commonwhore fans will be fuming about this.

Personally I'm stoked and I might actually watch more than one race a year (bathurst). I hope all the cars will still be evenly matched. It'd be boring if ze Germans just came in and cleaned up every race.

Love to see an m5 with a revised version of the v10 in there *drooooool*

Lol agreed. Who knew there were other rounds >.<

Somehow i dont think the V10 fits in with the whole V8 supercars thing lol

Good news indeed.

Never liked that taxi racing anyway.

Won't happen sorry boys. Skaifes 'Car of the future' implementation does not include foreign marques as he feels it will dilute all the hard work that has been done in the last decades (In regard to building the brand)

Toyota MAY be allowed in but that will prob' be it.

Also in my view it wouldn't last if Euro' marques were allowed in, all you have to do is look at how out of hand cost wise DTM and BTCC got a few years ago.

People are interpreting(sp?) Skaife & Cochranes 'Car of the future' plans wrong, it's actually designed to standardise the brands used now and make it a little easier for Toyota "maybe".

David Richards quote “To introduce a third brand, I question what the long-term outcome might be.”

Notice he says 'third brand'

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/amg-+-888--%...07/default.aspx

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/dont-fix-wha...03/default.aspx

Edited by bellicose

Did I hear right the other day while watching the V8's on tv when I think I heard the commentators saying that some cars (holden and ford) are using the same engine.

Did I hear right the other day while watching the V8's on tv when I think I heard the commentators saying that some cars (holden and ford) are using the same engine.

Not YET lol

But NZV8s are goin' to a "DART" engine (aftermarket Ford engine) in 2011 or 2012.

I love V8 supercars and hope they dont change the format too much.

So f**king there!

Havent Stone Bros got a Toyota/Lexus test car already built.

i'm with you Westy-luv the v8s-but it cant last the way it is.

Edited by 1rotty

They'd just do what they did with the nissan's and get the ban stick out

GTR's were never banned. Group A formula stopped. I dont see how people cant understand that.

I love V8 supercars and hope they dont change the format too much.

So f**king there!

+1

Had a boys weekend to bathurst last year and it was one of the best yet

GTR's were never banned. Group A formula stopped. I dont see how people cant understand that.

They are just as bad as the "I don't like the V8 Supercars because they are Holdens and Fords" people.

Where else do you see such close racing from start to finish with such a large number of cars. A top level race where the driver counts more than the car. And a race that is full of Kiwi's.

I will never own a Holden and most probably not own a Ford. But the V8 Supercars is about the racing. Not the brand names. And other than the shape they have nothing in common with the road whales anyway.

I am really interested to see where the series goes over the next few years.