Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Where your money goes

Sure, there are a HUGE number of people abusing the system.

But there are still a lot who genuinely need the benefit. I'd rather we had a system like ours where it was probably a little to easy to get the dole, than a place like the states where people who genuinely need it can't get it.

However I do support changes to have food vouchers given as a percentage of the dole so that the useless scumbags that spend all their cheque on fags and piss when their kids are starving are forced to provide for their dependents.

inb4 shitstorm

I was never allowed to buy ciggies with food vouchers ... made me give up smoking pretty quick, so I thank them for that ... that was like over 9 years ago though.

I'm not much of a drinker, so never bothered trying to buy booze with them.

Like you said about the States, they don't have anything like what we do and look at how many are living on the streets over there.

I don't wish for anyone to live on the streets, but people on the benefit need to show that they should be on the benefit (ie sickness or dpb) or need to show that they have at least been trying to look for work and / or do winz courses to try to better themselves.

In fact, one of the winz courses I did got me some work experience which really helped me get into the "I really want to work" mindset.

I'll admit that after been on the benefit for a few months, I became very lazy and just could not be bothered doing anything about it.

My mate was on the benefit for a number of years and he was exactly the same ... absolutely no motivation to do anything about it.

I know that's only 2 examples, but I do believe the longer you are on the unemployment benefit the more likely you are of getting complacent and not bothering to do anything about. The new reforms will encourage them to do something about it ... albeit in a bit of a harsher way than what everyone is used to.

I don't have anything against people been on a sickness benefit as long as they can show that they deserve it (and I'm pretty sure winz pays for the doctor visits, so no excuses).

I don't have anything against solo mum's or dad's been on the DPB, but only until their child or children are at primary school and don't require a parent to be home all day.

I also think that the dole shouldn't be given to anyone that hasn't worked before.

My cousin who is 20, hasn't worked in her life, won't show up to study, and probably isn't going to do anything useful anytime soon.

and yeah, lives on the dole.

People that genuinely can't work can get the IB, so it's not really picking on anyone imo.

Timing is everything and the longer you are welfare dependant the worse off you will be. I have a good friend in recruitment he says all be it people in work will tend to find finding a new job easier as they are gig fit and use to getting up everyday, there are lots of out of work people who turn down jobs because it's only $200 a week more than the dole, 30 minute drive to work, to early a start, $3k less per year than they wanted, they won't be the manager. etc etc

I think these people are the ones targeted, to easy to swing by WINZ for a grant in the PJ's when the rego runs out on the 91 Primera, why work a when you have a few kids, both unemployed WFF, accom allowance, the ascendancy isn't there to work for some, they are simply better off not working or better still sickness bene so WINZ doesn't have to hassle them.

No life though I get great satisfaction in achieving my goals and standing on my own two feet, I get great karma for it.

Edited by E39KiwiTouring

Thats exactly what it is there for. To help those who have needs...not for those that want it to be a lifestyle. Some families are 3rd generation dole bludgers. People with needs, need more support & it should be given once assesed more quickly. And the genuine needy should be getting more than they now are getting

I don't think these type of people are living cheque to cheque but are certainly abusing the system far more than those on a benefit!!!

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/6...ir-tax-english/

Sigh sigh and sigh again. On the topic of child support. How they work it out is a complete arse of an idea. Currently I pay $270 per week in child support for 1 yes 1 child. My ex works and so does her partner so their combined income as well as my child support keeps them in lets just say a rather healthy lifestyle.

I have no problem paying child support what so ever but the way its calculated sucks.

Here i am paying $$$ when some dole arse bludger that does not want to even work pays a piss arse $10 a week.

Look i can understand where there are genunie case of people being on the unemployment benefit but i would dare say there are more who are just to lazy to want to work or maybe they just got sick of paying through the nose for child support and just decided hey bugger this might as well just go on the dole.

Needless to say this is a rather contentious subject with me.

The more i try and get ahead in life by working my arse off the more i get penalized and the more i have to pay in child support, lets not forget i also have a partner to support (she does work part time).

So yeah as i said sigh and sigh again.

cliffdunedin - The gf and I combined earn around that and we are far from weathly...

Edited by DRTDVL

cliffdunedin - The gf and I combined earn around that and we are far from weathly...

I know, we are in similar circumstances too but if you had have read the whole article, it was outlining people (who are in a comfortable position) twisting the system... not normal joe bloggs family earning 100k per year.

I had to use the benefit at one stage. Was meant to be on the invalids, but, they would not pass it. Not that a broken pelvis, 8 fractured ribs, a broken sternum and sciatica is serious. Bunch of plonkers. I had to keep working as soon as physically possible, only to have long term injuries because I couldn't afford to recover

Sigh sigh and sigh again. On the topic of child support. How they work it out is a complete arse of an idea. Currently I pay $270 per week in child support for 1 yes 1 child. My ex works and so does her partner so their combined income as well as my child support keeps them in lets just say a rather healthy lifestyle.

I have no problem paying child support what so ever but the way its calculated sucks.

Here i am paying $$$ when some dole arse bludger that does not want to even work pays a piss arse $10 a week.

Look i can understand where there are genunie case of people being on the unemployment benefit but i would dare say there are more who are just to lazy to want to work or maybe they just got sick of paying through the nose for child support and just decided hey bugger this might as well just go on the dole.

Needless to say this is a rather contentious subject with me.

The more i try and get ahead in life by working my arse off the more i get penalized and the more i have to pay in child support, lets not forget i also have a partner to support (she does work part time).

So yeah as i said sigh and sigh again.

Yeap, I agree. My partners Ex (father of her kids) worked, but as soon as they had the 2nd, he quit. Then few months later they broke up. He isnt even thinking of working again cos he knows he be paying big $ to support his kids (2 kids, is more than 1?!), so instead, WINZ give her $10 a week for "CS" for Him. A big WTF!? Why not just give her all his $ so he will then want to work so he has $?!

What I was told, if the father works & pays support, its a % of his wages? Just like tax is a % - the more you earn the more you pay... correct me if wrong?

But nothing the Govt does works great. They always find a way to make good peoples life sh-t & lowlifes lifes great.

Old bludger that I know has had in the last 2 months, a set of four pirelli 215/35/18 tires put onto his 12k Subaru as it needed a WOF because it was his only means of transport to work...All his tools are also paid for by WINZ.

He is a chippy, but couldn't drive a nail into sand if his life depended on it.

It is a useless system really.

Old bludger that I know has had in the last 2 months, a set of four pirelli 215/35/18 tires put onto his 12k Subaru as it needed a WOF because it was his only means of transport to work...All his tools are also paid for by WINZ.

He is a chippy, but couldn't drive a nail into sand if his life depended on it.

It is a useless system really.

Thats BullS--t

My mrs has a hard time just getting them to help her pay for the kids stuff. If they were my kids and we lived togther I'd pay for it all. But not being my kids, I just cant afford it...couldnt cut back on my own stuff so let WINZ do it...or at least try get them too. Shes in alot of debt cos of her Ex not helping and WINZ being hopeless.

Yeap, I agree. My partners Ex (father of her kids) worked, but as soon as they had the 2nd, he quit. Then few months later they broke up. He isnt even thinking of working again cos he knows he be paying big $ to support his kids (2 kids, is more than 1?!), so instead, WINZ give her $10 a week for "CS" for Him. A big WTF!? Why not just give her all his $ so he will then want to work so he has $?!

What I was told, if the father works & pays support, its a % of his wages? Just like tax is a % - the more you earn the more you pay... correct me if wrong?

But nothing the Govt does works great. They always find a way to make good peoples life sh-t & lowlifes lifes great.

Yes it calculated on you get x amount to live on for a year which i think is around the 15k mark then anything over that you pay

18% - 1 child

24% - 2 children

27% - 3 children

30% - if you did not understand the concept of contraception and have 4 or more.

So the more you work to better yourself the more you pay. Also its calculated on the previous years wages. So if the current year your working you are getting paid less then its tough shite unless you want to go through the process of getting a review done and the minimum amount of time that takes is 3 months.

Lets not forget I also on top of my $270 a week have to fly my son down to me for the school holidays as i have him for a week every school holidays, they don't take that into account when working everything out.

I could go on and on but i would just depress myself.

So the more you work to better yourself the more you pay.

Yes, However the income amount that they will calculate from is capped at around (i forget the exact figures) $115kpa. So really, one could argue that the motivation is there to better yourself.

Lets not forget I also on top of my $270 a week have to fly my son down to me for the school holidays as i have him for a week every school holidays, they don't take that into account when working everything out.

Indeed. I'm lucky as my kids live in the same town as me, and I'm even luckier as I have a private agreement with the kids mum.

At the end of the day, i think she's just happy to be getting 20odd k out of me a year, as she knows i could easily just rejig things and pay the minimum.

Not that i would do that, but she's not to know that!

What do you do Dan??

My previous work experience is quite varied. Ranging from business account management/customer service to technical software and hardware roles in IT to vehicle importation. Also have a near complete Diploma in Business to be completed part time after hours next semester.

Thats also where I think my problem lies. Maybe my skill base is too varied and not focused on one area. Most jobs that are advertised have a very narrow role these days.

Does piss me off that a large portion of the jobs I have applied for in the last few months give you no response at all. Not even a "You failed!" email. I realise that they are inundated with applications. But how hard is it to put out a mass email. Recently I went for a dream job which was down to two people. I was not picked. But they did not even bother to call or email me! I had to contact them twice to see what was going on. They also would not give me any feedback.

No wonder AU, AUT, Massey have 100% full classes. Might as well make the most of not having a job. Get up to $300pw if you are over 25 too.

Does piss me off that a large portion of the jobs I have applied for in the last few months give you no response at all. Not even a "You failed!" email. I realise that they are inundated with applications. But how hard is it to put out a mass email. Recently I went for a dream job which was down to two people. I was not picked. But they did not even bother to call or email me! I had to contact them twice to see what was going on. They also would not give me any feedback.

+1, Telecom were good tho, took 1 day to reply then 4 days till I started

Dan - flick me your CV...

It might be lower than what you want - but i think we are looking for some more helpdesk staff.. (it's what i'd call a 1.5 level roll....)

my 2c...

All know stories of bludgers. one of my old neighbours sold "alternative medication" and claimed the dole. Never worked a day in his life. classic oxygen theif.

The paper had a small section trying to sympasize with a design graduate who was one the dole because he couldnt get the job that used his degree. The way I read it was that because he couldnt get a job he wanted he was going to sit on his arse. Jobs are out there, just may not be what you want to do. 4 friends recently moved back from OE's. No real qualifications but all have managed to find work once they actually started looking.

Child support is another thing that winds me up. I'd have no problem paying the money if I had children from an old relationship but I certainly like to know it was all going on the child and to have a say on where it went. (Correct me if this isn't the case already)

My cousin currently has 3 kids, both her and her husband/Partner are on the dole - she gets the DBP and other benefits due to them stating he's a flatmate or something.

She earns more than her brother who works 40+ hours a week as an engine reconditioner. Its disgusting.

She has never worked, she was joking around last time i saw her about 8 years ago, saying if she worked it out she would be on about 55 - 60k a year.

Yes I'm sure everyone knows someone that is getting stuff free.

What can we do though?

Guest Ari Gold

If you can't find a job in your field, suck it up. I've been labouring. Is it what I want to do rest of my life? No. Does it put money in my pocket? Hell yea it does.

Thats what I have been doing. Just sh*t odd jobs for mates.

If you can't find a job in your field, suck it up. I've been labouring. Is it what I want to do rest of my life? No. Does it put money in my pocket? Hell yea it does.

I fully agree! I have a double BSC in Comp science and Psychology...but the likliness of a job in either of those fields in Dunedin is pretty much nil. I worked in the UK and Europe for a few years but decided NZ and Dunedin is home...so i made the choice to come back to a place that has no work in my fields and have def had to broaden my horizon(work wise) and though i'm now working in a job that pays probably a third to a half of what i could make, i am enjoying my job thouroughly!!