Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

e36 clutch and single mass flywheel

Clutch is starting to give up and i have always wanted to change the dual mass flywheel.

I am looking for advice or experiences with different clutches and flywheels on an e36

I'd rather go over the top with this than not enough so my first thought was to get the uuc stage 2 flywheel and clutch kit. http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/LFWLE36SH.htm

Otherwise is using an m42 single mass or m20 single mass flywheel with an e36 m3 clutch more than enough for a 328

I went stage 1 with mine on the back of the M52B28...more than adequate

i used a m20 6.5kg solid flywheel and a uprated modified m20 clutch with a m20 starter .

no problems and nice light clutch feel

Otherwise is using an m42 single mass or m20 single mass flywheel with an e36 m3 clutch more than enough for a 328

These two aren't compatable.

^^^^ +1

The M3 / M5 combo clutch can only be used with the UUC flywheel. If you go for the M42 single mass you would have to get the M42 pressure plate modded with a higher clamping pressure and the friction plate is smaller. You will also have to get the earlier release bearing which has a deeper carrier (10mm)

Edited by *Glenn*

the only problem with going m20 flywheel etc is you get the dreaded rolover in the trans (i cant stand it). i guess going with the uuc set up you would get the same because you are removing the duel mass?

the only problem with going m20 flywheel etc is you get the dreaded rolover in the trans (i cant stand it). i guess going with the uuc set up you would get the same because you are removing the duel mass?

I get nothing Kerry...no noise at all... I'm running the UUC with E36 M3 pressure plate + E34 M5 kevlar clutch plate which has a sprung centre. Gearboxes could make a difference. I'm using a Getrag 250G

Edited by *Glenn*

Whats the dreaded rollover?

its only when your stationary out of gear that you here it , you cant get away from it that im aware of john, its just the input shaft or something rolling with no load on it and it sounds like a stuffed bearing but as soon as you ad load e.g press clutch in its sweet as.

thats what the duel mass was for to stop that so i believe , the ex bosses old 6 speed done it as well once it was warm.

I get nothing Kerry...no noise at all... I'm running the UUC with E36 M3 pressure plate + E34 M5 kevlar clutch plate which has a sprung centre. Gearboxes could make a difference. I'm using a Getrag 250G

might upgrade one day to see if it fixes it but there is no issues with how it runs other than the noise so it will just stay like that for now.

mine rattles away (m20 flywheel with getrag 250 box), but then the idle is a little rough and low . bring the idle up and not so noticable .