Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

Would I lose my man card if.....

Tbh, they're fairly expensive for what they are. The cheapest 1.8 on t'me is 6k. There are manlier cars out there for <3k, and probably more value for money too...but not many cars this side of a lotus Elise offers this much rwd fun/$ IMHO.

NB I have only passengered in an Elise, so I'm not even sure my statement is valid :P

/current mx5 owner

Been thinking about picking one up myself. Although under the guise of "the gf's project car" haha!

If you buy one, people will look at you and instantly think "poof".

Wonder if they will still say 'Poof' as you own them and there (insert bogan car here) through a few twistys.

People knock them but the handle so well they surprise alot of people

As for the poof thing, Who gives a rats what people think.

My Auntie had a white one. She sold it and bought an '05 Z4 3l.

... Good call Auntie.

Guest Simon*

Seeing you're looking at MX-5's you should also consider one of these

Posted Image

Only two previous very lesbian carefree owners. Only ever given a mild tonguelashing on Sundays. Hardly ridden at all. Plenty of crotch left, but not much clutch. Obviously not stickshift but really smooth in that area.

If you're keen let your fingers do the walking

:D

^ Funniest guy on bimmersport handsdown...

Or should I say most retarded???? :P

If you buy one, people will look at you and instantly think "poof".

Perhaps I should buy one then?

Actually i'm on the fence........ from a gays point of view i STILL wouldnt drive one hah..... but then again my sister has one and once in a blue moon i drive it (where no one can see me) and f*cken love it.

$hundy says the car he's looking at doesn't look like that.

You are right, I'm looking for an na6 version. Not nb or nc. Not modified either

get a batty! WAY cooler bigger version of the mx5

I would, but, I couldn't have a car that is that good looking and full of rotang puss. Fill it with a V8.

Tbh, they're fairly expensive for what they are. The cheapest 1.8 on t'me is 6k. There are manlier cars out there for <3k, and probably more value for money too...but not many cars this side of a lotus Elise offers this much rwd fun/$ IMHO.

NB I have only passengered in an Elise, so I'm not even sure my statement is valid :P

/current mx5 owner

Not wanting a 1.8 really just an early 1.6 and I will have to check for the crankshaft problem....

Who gives a rats what people think.

X2.

They are a drivers car, people who drive cars based purely on what people think miss out on some bloody good cars :lol:

My question is how is an old automatic 320i any more manly?

Yes I do drive a Megane because they drive well and are fast... the good looks are an added bonus haha.

The only people who mock them are those who've never been for a ride in them with a decent driver, or driven one themselves.

My brother had an '89 1.6 as his gravel-toy and fun car for a couple years until recently and absolutely loved it. Yes, I did say gravel, those things balance very well, and hang the tail more than adequately for anybody.

Reason for selling; He upgraded to a near identical '90 1.6, but with a large hairdryer attached, among other goodies. Poking out 225-255 horse at the wheels, depending on boost.

And having a friend with a batmobile as well, I've gotta say that even though those specific two are of similar speed and handling, NOTHING beats cruising along on a sunny day with the top down in the mx-5.

I am ghetto.

Cars are for driving, when im blasting along on a back road and smiling ear to ear I could care less what the car looks like.

For the record I do like the look of it, as do most women, quality women.

They go well with Nos. I helped out at Wintec at an MX5 dyno day and there were some nice examples... both turbos and supercharged (the supercharged was the one with Nos!!). They go bloody well too, and are light enough to get slippery on polished concrete quite easily :lol:

^^ I agree again, as I said before function over form, you can't see the outside when your driving inside it.

Edited by Hellpina

I'm keeping an eye out for a beat up one to turn into a trackday car.

Cage, harnesses, coilovers, ET-0 wheels and some mismatched body panels with race livery and it's no longer a girly car.

Have driven a few and the grin is hard to wipe off your face. I'd find it hard to daily a stock one though. I hate to say it, but I do care what other people think to some degree! :D

Edited by _Mark_

A guy I know is turbo-ing his one... after sticking in a Lexus V8! lol should be a hellraiser to drive... I'd drive one, if I'd the cash and found the right one...

To the OP, if you have a few of these at the $2.5-3.5k mark I know a guy who may be interested.

I've had MX5's for years, bought my first one in the early 90's to replace my TR6 (why why why did I do that). They were designed from the ground up as a roadster/sports car & benefit from near perfect weight distribution, rear wheel drive & a fantastic gearbox/engine combination.

My personal favorite is the original NA 1.6 - these motors were originally designed to have turbo's (but canned, this considered too butch for their intended handbag-toting market) and are tough as hell. There is a huge aftermarket for parts/upgrades, even here in NZ.

It's too bad there are so many of them around, blame the Japanese import deluge for that. If you get over to countries like Australia they are far rarer & held in a higher regard! To be honest I hardly ever drive mine these days, my 17 year old daughter drives it & loves it (kicked arse at a Pukekohe defensive driving day a while back). When I do drive it it certainly gives me a smile but I'm glad I dont drive it everyday anymore!

Pros:

One of the best handling cars you will ever drive

Cheap to buy, cheap to run, maintain & reliable

Great in summer for a neck-up tan

Chicks like them

Cons:

Chicks like them

Underpowered (turbo/supercharged excepted)

No boot space

Gay factor

Tin-can in a crash factor

If you're going to buy one:

Get a hardtop for winter if you can.

Watch the paint on the red ones, they fade badly if not looked after ($2k paint job)

Ditto the soft-top for all MX5's

Ditto the rear windows, they dont last long (plastic)

The early NZ new ones had no power steering & manual windows (imports were better)

The early 1.6 models have a problem with the crank nose snapping off (= new engine)

Be prepared to have everyone on the motorway either sit 2" off your arse or pretend you don't exist

X2.

They are a drivers car, people who drive cars based purely on what people think miss out on some bloody good cars :lol:

My question is how is an old automatic 320i any more manly?

I am ghetto.

Cars are for driving, when im blasting along on a back road and smiling ear to ear I could care less what the car looks like.

For the record I do like the look of it, as do most women, quality women.

Well, I agree completely. The E36 has a great chassis but doesn't have anywhere near the grin factor of an mx-5.

MX-5 it is then, I shall aquire one when the oppoturnity arises