Sign in to follow this  
BenEvans

Project M30B35-E30

Out of interest how would the handling of the car be affected by this transplant?

thats something im gunna have wait to find out.. the engine is not that much heavier so it shouldnt do much.

i am also going to place the engine as far back as humanly possible in order to counter the extra weight.

Guest Simon*

There's a really good writeup on one of the overseas forums about this swap - can't remember which one and it would be at least a couple of years since I read it.

Like you've said, mounting the block as far to the rear as possible and some clever engine mounts were involved. Otherwise his M30'ed E30 was a weapon and handled well - once suspension, wheels, etc had all been taken care of.

I have these + encapturing rings to be welded onto the brackets to encapture E36 M52 engine mounts these have been Aqua cut to suit the M30 build into a E30... give me a call Ben

post-1129-1275415010.jpg

cheers for that Jono

- with the M20B20 flywheel, i have been through alot of discussion with ppl and im told with the M20B20 starter (which seemed to fit ok) will work.

- as for the transmission, again im told the M10 will work fine and have heard of a few other success stories with them. i am aware that the drive shaft will need altering and am ok with doing t

Cheers again

Ben

i have a couple of very light weight m10 flywheels which would

work with the m30 starters. also the clutch is smaller so has less rotating mass then the m30 types.

would make an interesting alternative

m

Alriight.

Now i know ive had the car for like a week now and havent posted any pics but thats just coz im slack.

the drive up from dunedin was fantastic... no issues with the car, it ran flawlessly.

we drove from dunedin to chch the first day. chch all the way to taupo the second and then to auckland the third.

the car is actually in better condition than i expected. being a uk model i expected alot more rust, so far there is only the small amount under the windscreen (as shown in the auction) a small amout around the rear lights and on the front sills under the car.

and the paint is peeling in a few places but its not that noticable till u get up close.

overall im very happy with it and it pulls really hard and sticks to the road like glue.

anyway here are a few pics we took on the trip home. we didnt get many as we were in a hurry.

post-2580-1276337569.jpg

post-2580-1276337577.jpg

post-2580-1276337583.jpg

post-2580-1276337594.jpg

post-2580-1276337601.jpg

post-2580-1276337610.jpg

post-2580-1276337616.jpg

post-2580-1276337630.jpg

post-2580-1276337641.jpg

post-2580-1276337648.jpg

post-2580-1276337657.jpg

post-2580-1276337666.jpg

post-2580-1276337675.jpg

Edited by Ben-E30

Looks nice dude-great project.

The roadtrip beats the crap out of freight doesnt it.

What year b35 are you using?

so the plan now is to get the body back in gud shape and carry on with the 3.5ltr conversion.

im just waiting to sell my 318i and a few bits and peices b4 i can carry on.

i aquired a pfl e30 coupe shell 2day ( borrowing from Ray @ Hellbm - so cheers Ray ) to use as a template for the M30 so i can get it running and mounts made b4 i rip into the motorsport.

so getting the mounts made and the engine running is my next priority.

while doing this i will be trying to sell the 2.5ltr out of the motorsport along with the gearbox and a few other peices i wont be needing in order to get the cash required for the m30.

so thats where im at... will try to keep ya posted on any progress made.

Cheers guys

Ben

Looks nice dude-great project.

The roadtrip beats the crap out of freight doesnt it.

What year b35 are you using?

1988 - which im pretty sure is the latest generation... also the best one??

and yes.. glad i chose to drive it back lol

The one you want is the E28 3.5, the 88 will be E34 which has the lower compression. I believe 86 and 87 are the best.

Brent will pop up soon, but pretty sure it's still the low compression one.

yup you want a e28 535i , e24 635csi or e23 735i engine to get the 10;1 pistons

oh really?

i got my info from this Site

if u read the '3rd generation' section it says its the highest compression and is the most ideal for 335i conversion and it says these engines range from '87 to '92 which would include my engine??

oh really?

if u read the '3rd generation' section it says its the highest compression and is the most ideal for 335i conversion and it says these engines range from '87 to '92 which would include my engine??

Likewise-this is what I've been looking at.

What is your thinking behind using the older motors?

My thoughts had been that the chances of getting a reasonably low k gen 3 motor would be pretty good, & being the manny the jew that I am, would avoid having to do a rebuild. :P

Edited by 1rotty

oh really?

they got it wrong , the us spec engines from that era where low compression pistons but here in nz , uk and most of euro land go the full monty 218hp 10:1 cr pistons .

then they dropped it back for the e32 ,e34 models to 9;1 211hp so they could run on 91oct fuel and get better emission results etc , but they did improve the breathing with sleightly bigger valves and intake ports etc

Likewise-this is what I've been looking at.

What is your thinking behind using the older motors?

My thoughts had been that the chances of getting a reasonably low k gen 3 motor would be pretty good, & being the manny the jew that I am, would avoid having to do a rebuild. :P

what do u mean? mine is a Gen 3 motor..

and i originally brought it as a project to just clean up and rebuild most of it for fun.. i was neva going to put it in a car but obviously thats changed lol

And cheers Brent...

im not to bothered at the moment, i might end up putting a small turbo on the side so the lower compression might come in handy.

what do u mean? mine is a Gen 3 motor..

The question was for brent & david

if you use the ealier motor e28, e24, you will need to modify the sump

if you use the later e34 -e32 you shouldn't need to modify the sump

I've got a modified sump if you need one,

the right hand side of the engines between the earlier and later types have different engine bracket positions

So , maybe build thinking ahead which engines are more common to source if you need to replace.

The later engines also have better cooling galleries in the cylinder head

the later in E34 or E32 is already motronic 1.3, which would be a nice simple swapover into an E30

I started with a 635csi motor, but changed to an E32 1988

in hindsight if I had started with the later engine the conversion would have been far simpler

expect about another 25 kilos of weight in the front, as for understeer, I've noticed a slight improvement, hasn't sledged on me yet!

any probs give me a call

Jon

04 3801089

Edited by Jono51

Get the best of both if you're rebuilding anyway.

Go for the E34 block and sump for mount points, the E28 head for better combustion chamber using E34 valves, get the std cam reground for more overlap, E28 pistons, get the block and head decked, not too much or you get valve problems, you should end up with 10.5 plus compression, and 190 plus rwhp. Use the E34 loom and comp etc.

Real good for topend torque.

Get the best of both if you're rebuilding anyway.

Go for the E34 block and sump for mount points, the E28 head for better combustion chamber using E34 valves, get the std cam reground for more overlap, E28 pistons, get the block and head decked, not too much or you get valve problems, you should end up with 10.5 plus compression, and 190 plus rwhp. Use the E34 loom and comp etc.

Real good for topend torque.

and so it shall be AMEN!.

my thoughts exactly , best of both worlds

ps . only the very early blocks 78-82 had the cooling system problems , different head casting to the 82 to 92 heads

and so it shall be AMEN!.

my thoughts exactly , best of both worlds

ps . only the very early blocks 78-82 had the cooling system problems , different head casting to the 82 to 92 heads

yeah I agree with the best of both worlds,however , just wondering what this guys budget is tho?