Sign in to follow this  
BenEvans

Project M30B35-E30

Hey guys,

thought i should start a project thread as i am about to start my project after selling my 325i.

Here is a ruff idea as to what will be happening. with pics to follow.

Im am currently looking for the purfect shell, it has to be a coupe, has to be either black or a dark shade of something, has to be facelift and needs to be mostly complete expept i dont need the engine or Subframe, or struts or steering rack.

so if anyone has anything... let me know. cheers

i have a M30B35 in the garage at the moment being restored. i will be running with a M10 5speed gearbox and M20B20 Flywheel and clutch.

as for the rest of the car, these are my ideas...

-5 stud conversion

-^ as i would like to fit 18" M6 replicas... Yes! i have no idea how hard this will be but i love those rims

-Some nice lowering kit

-dark tints

-Rieger infinity front lip

-tech 1 sides

-havent decided on rear

-e36 steering rack

So this is where im at. but need a shell to get going.

Any ideas and advice are welcome, and any help with parts will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

"i have a M30B35 in the garage at the moment being restored. i will be running with a M10 5speed gearbox and M20B20 Flywheel and clutch"

Really ???

Better play nice.

As far as I know, the only manual box which bolts up behind the M30, is one from an M30, they are unique in their bolt patterns. I'd be looking for an early E28 flywheel as well, the lightweight one if you can find it.

ps, there's one on trademe at the moment, but it probably has the dual mass flywheel as it's from an E34, getrag 260/6.

haha, its ok mate i have already bolted it all togeather, have been told by many that it works. as i have already tried it, i believe them.

the m10 and m30 bolt pattern is identical

The M20B20 flywheel is the best to use (ive been told) although i will admit i am a bit worried the m20b20 clutch wont hold up against the extra torque... but theres only one way to find out.

Cheers

You're right, it does bolt up, but, it's unlikely to last too long with the torque from an M30? I would have thought the M20 flywheel and clutch will be fine tho, don't forget the m20 starter as well. We're using an M20 flywheel behind the M54B30, with a 6 puck clutch and high clamp pressure plate.

yea, im getting the m20 starter sorted, but as im not heavily modifying the engine i have been told the trans should hold up. being bmw they are f**king strong boxes lol.

no comments on the M6 rims??? thought this would spark some discussion as i am yet to find a pic of another e30 with these rims.. if anyone has tried this or can find a pic of this that would be a great help.

cheers

have a chat to john at j,k southern (forum sponsor). aka johno51

he has done this conversion in his racecar. hauls arse

Nice, Pics? Keen on seeing some M30 swappage action.

Will be watching this closely as I may want to have a M30 in my E30 next ;)

Interested to see how the M10 gearbox lasts.

Edited by Hellpina

Will be watching this closely as I may want to have a M30 in my E30 next ;)

Interested to see how the M10 gearbox lasts.

Haha, me too. this will be abit of an experiment as there is not much info on the net about the use of the m10 gearbox on the m30... especially the b35.

I read it tilts the shifter over. but that shouldn't be hard to sort.

There are tonnes of high power m10 turbos putting out big numbers, so I'm sure the manual box is indeed capable of the power Unless you absolutely thrash that thing.

From the trial fits, if it does tilt it over its a very tiny amount, so tiny that its probly just worth welding the mounts up so the 'box is straight rather than the engine

I'll be interested to see how it goes too.

There aren't "tons" of 240 M10 boxes behind mega-power M10s - usually they stick a 26x behind it.* However, I see no reason why Ben shouldn't try the M10 box. Nothing ventured, nothing gained (or lost). M10 boxes are cheap, and I'm hoping I can get one to last behind my turbo race engine when I eventually get it going, simply because I have 3 of them and I don't like the alternative (trying to fix a 265 in a 2002 tunnel, or converting to a Toyota W5x box).

* although "good & tight" - a dude in the USA, used a 500,000 km transmission for 300hp+ for a while

http://www.r3vlimited.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=61092

until this happened...

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.ph...highlight=block

and now he has an M30 (with a proper transmission) and a HUGE turbo. This guy could have a whole rangi-mod thread.

Edited by CamB

m30 , m10 and s14 use the same bellhousing bolt pattern .

carfull with the m20 flywheel , check the starter motor fully engauges onto the flywheel .

i have spare m30 getrag 260 box for sale if you want something a bit stronger .

cheers brent

OK! havent updated anything for a while as i have been trying to find a shell...

originally i was looking for a cheap facelift coupe

but have since decided "f**k it, im going all out"

So have brought a 1986 M325i, im sure many of u have seen it on trademe its the one with the glass sunroof.

it looks really tidy and will be picking it up from dunedin this friday and driving it back to auckland over the weekend.

the delema is.. i am unsure of whether i should rip out the engine and put the M30B35 in or whether u guys would consider this sacrilege. the alternative is i sell the 3.5ltr and do up the car in other ways..

so let me know what u think.

below is the only image i have of it untill i get it back to auckland, will try to get some awsum pics on the trip back.

Cheers

post-2580-1275285070.jpg

OK! havent updated anything for a while as i have been trying to find a shell...

originally i was looking for a cheap facelift coupe

So have brought a 1986 M325i, im sure many of u have seen it on trademe its the one with the glass sunroof.

it looks really tidy and will be picking it up from dunedin this friday and driving it back to auckland over the weekend.

the delema is.. i am unsure of whether i should rip out the engine and put the M30B35 in or whether u guys would consider this sacrilege. the alternative is i sell the 3.5ltr and do up the car in other ways..

so let me know what u think.

below is the only image i have of it untill i get it back to auckland, will try to get some awsum pics on the trip back.

Cheers

haha .. I had the same delimar. I drove the m325 around for a bit and fell in love with it first. Made it hard (even though I had all the parts) to get on with just swapping it.

I reckon however while the m20 is a great engine youll get sick of the lack of power and want something a bit more full on.

However, nothing beats sinking decent $$$ into the handling and braking department.

Hey mate,

good to see someone is looking at an M30b35 conversion,

don't use the m20 flywheel, yes it will bolt onto the crank but it will not engage the starter and when you turn the key you will destroy both. m20 starter bolt alignment will differ to the m30

single mass e28 flywheel is what you are after.

do not use the m10 transmission,

you need a transmission from an m30 engine, prior to mine I spent some time deciding which variant to use, because the front of the propshaft needs to be altered in length and the front half changed and balanced

there is about three engine positions you have to choose from, the motor is longer and you may have issues with the radiator

diff ratio will need to be changed and taller than 307 for road use

there was a hand full made in south africa,

also some by alpina

read south african sites and you may find some interesting stuff

really worth while conversion great throttle response and low down torque

and expect approx 0-100 in 6 secs thats if you can keep traction

cheers for that Jono

- with the M20B20 flywheel, i have been through alot of discussion with ppl and im told with the M20B20 starter (which seemed to fit ok) will work.

- as for the transmission, again im told the M10 will work fine and have heard of a few other success stories with them. i am aware that the drive shaft will need altering and am ok with doing this.

- as for the possition i have talked to my mechanic who is very good with things like this and basiclly im going for as far back as possible and installing either a single or double electric fan onto the outside of the radiator so i can loose the standard belt driven one. this should give me enuf room.

Anyway as i am doing this conversion for the first time any advice would be much appreciated but i think i am on the right track so far.. i have been told the above will work..

Cheers again

Ben

Rip it out and stick in a B35.

Also, feel free to pop in for a coffee whilst your in Dunedin.

haha i think i will put the b35 in...

and cheers but we wont have anytime in dunedin.. we are landing at 5pm and staying in chch that nite.

looks like a sweet buy man. how much did you end up picking her up for? was it the $6000 asking price?

looks like a sweet buy man. how much did you end up picking her up for? was it the $6000 asking price?

na managed to knock a few hundred off that.. got it for $5800.

i thought that was a pretty good buy, hopefully i wont be dissapointed when i pick it up.