Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Should've got an m3

Cheers for the link. How is you project coming along? I've been slowley reading through your project. You've definaately had some hard times.

It's too bad that I can't seem to find what's happened to the linked car now. He seems to be banned from every forum. I can see why.

I regret not just slapping it all in the way that he has. Everything measured up fine but the only problem was the wear at the top of the bore on the exhaust side. And of course all main bearings getting a taste of bead blasting.

Recently i've been trimming back the large bundle of wires that were in the car. Made the mistake of getting frustrated and hacking it all out. The last week and a bit, i've spent putting it all back together with a few changes like wiring in the headlights so they turn off when the car is off.

Car is back in the garage again. Cage is maybe done. I'm wondering if I should put in bars going to the floor in the middle of the side intrusions. I've got a pro-tools notcher(i had to get something good after using the junk at tec) so i'll more then likely want to do it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any criticism on the cage is welcome

Heh, ups and downs with my project but overall good progress. Not really worth mentioning though, compared to what you have going on here! :D

I'll be doing the stroker this summer so if still interested in this by then, I'll let you know how it went on. Seems pretty straight forward though, from what that guy was saying.

Anyway, good luck with your progress here and keep us updated!

hey what are you doing about your heater box im sure i have a non ac unit lying around if you want it, same as the one im running..

Cheers, I might take you up on that offer if plan A doesn't work. And i've definately got to come have a look over your car some time

Plan A is to run a fan into the demister ducts.

Cheers, I might take you up on that offer if plan A doesn't work. And i've definately got to come have a look over your car some time

Plan A is to run a fan into the demister ducts.

Cool no worries, i get it back from the panel beaters on Wednesday, ill be working on it every weekend till its done, just swing by in the weekend some time at sd european.

Hows it coming along any updates??

Sadly not really. Had too much fun over summer

Cut out the diagonal from the roof because it was too close to my head. Could have lowered the seat but would rather a nice driving position.

With link bringing out the plug and play for m50's I have all the calibrations and some base maps. I had wasted a bit of time trying to figure it out for myself. So i'm rather happy it's all there

Started making a strut brace today. I think it's got potential to look good. I know it will be solid. Should be able to finish it tomorrow.

I've only just sent away for homologation and authority card etc.

Posted Image

Just tacked up. Heat is getting to me now, so will finish it up later

Comments and criticism is welcomed

I'll get some better photos when i'm done

Cheers,

I was going for a butch look. Hopefully one day the rest of the engine bay will follow

Just some boring 1.5mm thick, 25mm diameter steel. It doesn't weigh alot

I'm a bit unsure as to what I will do about the plates going over the strut towers. They are currently 2.3mm plates(leftovers from some shelf) that sit on top of the humps.

I'd really like to have them follow the shape of the strut towers but haven't yet thought of a nice way to do it.

All welded up.

Final weigh in came to 3.5kg's

Posted Image

Need to go to the fastener store and get some nuts that will sit under the platforms

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not sure what i'll do for paint. It stands out enough as it is so probably something boring like black or grey.

Will look good painted up with the rest of the engine bay put back together.

Are those M3 top strut mounts I see?

That's just the kind of reaction I was after.

They sure are m3 strut tops.

These are the switched m3 evo variety. I've also got some centered m3 ones somewhere in my stack of suspension.

Hi,

I like the strut brace you have made looks good and strong, if was mine I would bead blast it and then send it for gold zinc coating.

Dave.

That's just the kind of reaction I was after.

They sure are m3 strut tops.

These are the switched m3 evo variety. I've also got some centered m3 ones somewhere in my stack of suspension.

I plan to install Evo tops in reverse as well. :) Did it make any difference? Some say it makes steering a bit hard...

Hadn't even considered that 87M3@NZ. Might re-do it like that when i'm earning money again.

I did all the m3 suspension at once. So can't really say what the tops do by themselves.

Steering is a bit more heavy then it was when it had non m bits in

For a 3L M3 your just adding a little bit of camber. I wouldn't of thought steering would be noticibly heavier. You could get the camber from camber shims if you wanted to save on the expense of new tops

Edited by bbs

Hadn't even considered that 87M3@NZ. Might re-do it like that when i'm earning money again.

I did all the m3 suspension at once. So can't really say what the tops do by themselves.

Steering is a bit more heavy then it was when it had non m bits in

For a 3L M3 your just adding a little bit of camber. I wouldn't of thought steering would be noticibly heavier. You could get the camber from camber shims if you wanted to save on the expense of new tops

Putting brand new suspension into it that is why I have bought brand new tops :) Love you strut bar!!! Looks mean and solid!

Should go well with all new suspension in it. I was very happy with the change

Thanks for the kind words.

Hopefully the intake i'm planning follows the look.

Dude thats SICK!!! :thumb:

I just noticed the roll cage extends to the front strut towers.

Always nice to see that extra step has been taken!

Homologation and log book arrived today. Best bit of mail i've had in a long time

The cage had to go to the front because the car had airbags. Or something like that.

Intake plans have taken a back seat as i've now got the other mistress and parts for the other engine and gearbox are on the way.

good on you james, will like to see it when your done.

Good stuff bro happy days, your going to want to paint the cage pretty soon i would have thought, before the rust sets in and makes it a mission to get off.. :)