Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Civic crash on Anzac day at Puke

Pretty sweet gif capturing a civic crashing at Puke.

Cause: Overconfidence + 3xsemis 1xroad tyre

The guy is fine. The car is not.

Its big. So let it load.

Posted Image

my eyes hurt. but epic

Why the f**k did he think 3 semi's and a street tyre was a good idea?

And I bet the aftermarket seat didn't do him any favours when the airbag deployed!

It scares me to think that he probably drove to the race track on public roads :S

I am quite rarely surprised when someone crashes their road car at Puke.

Cause: Overconfidence + 3xsemis 1xroad tyre

The guy is fine. The car is not.

There's apparently a gag order over on NZhondas about this crash.

I was car no.4 over the hill just after this accident - plenty of time to slow down and stop to go past the wreckage.

He didn't have a road tyre on the car. The car had 2 brand new semi slicks (toyos) in the rear that were not scrubbed in at all (still had the yellow paint type print on the tread surface after the crash). A scrubbed in semi slick Dunlop on the left front and a full slick on the right front.

Only the driver and his close friends know what happened exactly - all the rest is speculation.

He is a regular tracker, so not a novice by any means.

Most likely cause however was lift off oversteer - those of you that have driven a Honda at speeds around Pukekohe will know that lift off oversteer in a Honda = scene like the above.

Edited by M3_Power

Ouch, thank god it was a newer model, an older one would have been a mess.

Hope he had track day insurance.

Two complete revolutions in the air is pretty impressive!

:o

Shows how safe heavy newer vehicles with safety cells are doesn’t it, an old Civic would be mince. Who needs a cage.

I have seen similar spins with un scrubbed Toyo’s, easy enough. Would recommend a good back road hoon to the track on new tyres to scrub them up as much as possible. Have also seen two FWD VW’s hit that wall. Never lift off on that crest eh.

Cheers for the Giff.

My jaw almost hit the ground.

Poor car! It didn't deserve that, and it looked quite tastefully modified too.

I guess he's lucky he's alive

Fark :o ! That is a BIG smash. He is a very, very lucky man to get out of that in one piece. I'll bet he had brown trousers after that :D For a car without a cage the centre cell did hold up well, quite impressive.

A good story and nice vid to show the grand kids though!

There's apparently a gag order over on NZhondas about this crash.

I was car no.4 over the hill just after this accident - plenty of time to slow down and stop to go past the wreckage.

He didn't have a road tyre on the car. The car had 2 brand new semi slicks (toyos) in the rear that were not scrubbed in at all (still had the yellow paint type print on the tread surface after the crash). A scrubbed in semi slick Dunlop on the left front and a full slick on the right front.

Only the driver and his close friends know what happened exactly - all the rest is speculation.

He is a regular tracker, so not a novice by any means.

Most likely cause however was lift off oversteer - those of you that have driven a Honda at speeds around Pukekohe will know that lift off oversteer in a Honda = scene like the above.

So his tyre choices were even worse than I expected. Mismatched fronts with unscrubbed rares? WTF was he thinking. And a full slick with 3x semis. Never seen a Honda lift oversteer there before. They usually do it at the start of the hill. What my mates who saw the incident said was that he dropped a wheel onto the grass. Which is your typical scenario for crashing at that spot. And this would no doubt come down to an unbalanced car.

Mismatched tyres = Fail. It is also why it is a WOF requirement.

So his tyre choices were even worse than I expected. Mismatched fronts with unscrubbed rares? WTF was he thinking. And a full slick with 3x semis. Never seen a Honda lift oversteer there before. They usually do it at the start of the hill. What my mates who saw the incident said was that he dropped a wheel onto the grass. Which is your typical scenario for crashing at that spot. And this would no doubt come down to an unbalanced car.

Mismatched tyres = Fail. It is also why it is a WOF requirement.

Having driven Type Rs around Pukekohe quite extensively I have to say that I can sort of understand what the mis-matched tyres were about, albeit very mis-informed.

There's plenty of Honda guys that do the front semi slicks and rear road tyre combos - it's more prevalent than you'd think actually (it's a band-aid solution to understeer and if you don't actually know how to set up a car properly I might add).

Basically I believe Wilson (the driver's name) was intending on having the maximum grip in that front inner for Castrol (understeer heaven for Hondas) and perhaps have the rest balanced up with the semis (the inner front is the one that takes the most beating around Puke for a Honda, and I suppose every other car).

From the gif it didn't look like he got onto the grass, but it's hard to tell from that angle.

Either way guys, please have a little respect with the comments especially for the owner of the car - it's never nice to smash up a pride and joy at the track, let along having photos of it posted all over the internet and have people judging you when they know nothing about what actually happened. Crashing at Pukekohe isn't a hard thing to do and the result is never pleasant - it can go wrong at a split second and often physics takes over and that's the end of that.

He is a very lucky guy to have no injuries from that crash - I took a look at the car after it was towed and the passenger cell compartment definitely held up very well - that driver side B Pillar saved his life - had that collapsed, he'd be crushed no doubt.

Guest Simon*

I don't think us poking fun does any harm. Sure nobody would like it if it happened to them but accidents do happen. Seeing as most importantly the driver was not hurt (apart from his pride) I think a few people seeing it on the net and giving him a bit of stick is the least of his worries.

Things like this have mysterious ways of turning up on youtube - no track day is immune!

Same thing happened to me 8 years ago. You can't stop people talking about it. And I never even tried. Most people learn from it. If your car is not prepared right. Or you do stupid things like mismatch your tyres. Crashes occur.

What cracks me up is the idiots who blame the track. Every open day I have been to there has been a crash. And it is always due to someone not knowing what they are doing, driving an ill prepared car.

Edited by driftit

I don’t know how you crash at Pukekohe TBH, its basically straight with a sh*t load of bumps and a couple of corners :P

How he survived w/o a cage is beyond me.

Modern design perhaps? Are you familiar with the advances in car safety over the last decade?? Cars are built to destruct around the safety cell, anything outside of the cabin simply acts as a cushion.

Na thats not right...I'm told a Holden technician with a FBH & cable ties can fix that

f**k that, f**k that...

And LOL @ Glenn @ Oli