Sign in to follow this  
E36ShoppingTrolley

Pod filter or no pod filter on e30?

Saw glenn is selling a e30 pod filter.. i drive a pfl 1987 e30 325i... good or bad idea? what do these do performance wise ?

sorry if this is a noob question , its my first bmw

Cheers,

Nick

If you just install a Pod filter on without any form of airbox or heat shield your car will loose power.

It is pretty simple to create some heat shielding though.

And make sure that the pod filter has good brackets to brace the AFM. The AFM is attached to the factory airbox. When this is removed to install the pod filter you no longer have and bracing. DO NOT let it flop around.

Edited by driftit

Unless you have a cold air intake setup with a shield from the engines heat, its a waste of time and if anything will lose power.. google it and you will see. people see 2-3hp drops with the pod over vs stock air box.

My car came with one, I put a stock airbox back on.

They're too noisy hahah.

theres nothing wrong with a pod, so long as you box it correctly. Too noisey? your joking right?

When i had my e30 re-mapped by Gavin at Hi-Velocity we discussed this.

He had a very short answer: waste of time & money.

The factory airbox is very efficient-just go for a K&N or similar filter

theres nothing wrong with a pod, so long as you box it correctly. Too noisey? your joking right?

It wasn't boxed or anything. Just a cheap pod.

and if you floor the car, it would just be loud and obnoxious. (car was b20auto)

Most people do them for the noise and that slight extra pull you get at high RPM (probably a placebo effect) They work OK when in cold air box

Have seen some proper tests done, and no gains with anything over the std box with a K&N filter inside. In saying that, I do like the extra induction sound.

Have seen some proper tests done, and no gains with anything over the std box with a K&N filter inside. In saying that, I do like the extra induction sound.

Thats why i used to run one, and probably will continue too on the M52.. at least for the short term anyway

Could be classed as weight reduction, but then you add the airbox for the podfilter & you just added the weight back. I reckon its more a "cosmetic" thing - I used to think it was form performance but I grew up, and see it as only good for Looks if you want a racey looking engine.

Cosmetic?

They actually can improve performance if setup properly. Not just slapped on the front intake pipe like most people do these days.

Set up a cold air box for your std filter and you'll still get as good performance as a pod. It's not the pod which makes it go better, it's the amount and temp of air.

I totally get that you should have a cold air box or don't even bother (although I am super keen for the induction noise)

However, does this argument apply to a non-standard engine? I recently did a top end rebuild with a mild port and a mild lumpy cam, but still have the standard airbox. Surely there would be gains to be had by freeing up the airflow to the head?

Either way, I will do the cold air box thing, but I feel like I'm missing out on the full potential of the work done to the head...

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

It's his first day, go easy on him. In 5 years the answer won't have changed I imagine. You think some manufacturer would have come up with a toroidal perpetual interdimensional forced induction filter by now though... still the same old fibre oil and mesh bullshit.

• Like 1

to be honest I don't really care how old the thread is, the conversation is still valid, and clearly people are still around, so why not? if it gets an answer who cares how long it takes :P

This topic was already being actively beaten to death in another part of the forum... didnt really need to dredge this up.

I don't get why you would be against a cold air box, all it means is you are shielding the air intake from the warm engine bay air so it's drawing air through the grills or whet ever, which is colder. Being boxed in can amplify the induction sound too so why not?

It's just pointless when you remove the OEM airbox which has a closed in filter, and a tube to get air from behind the headlights. They did it like that for a reason.

• Like 1

Bit of an old thread. But you will get gains with a shielded cold air intake.

Best to research designs or have a look at some of the race series cars if you ever have the chance.

• Like 1