Sign in to follow this  
1quad1

M3 1995 Ex South Africa ?

B)

Hi , Does anyone know about these South African models ?

I hear that they are detuned ?

One on Trademe http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=292462174

Cheers

Andy

B)

If I buy this then I will have an E30 M50 Race Car For Sale if anyones interested ???

B)

Edited by 1quad1

Extremely weird front seats. The bases look like vaders but the back looks really strange! Do not like.

^Yeah, they're vaders Nick... but the vader headrests have been replaced with standard ones (could have come from factory like that)

To OP... I'm not aware of SA E36 M3's being detuned.

Extremely weird front seats. The bases look like vaders but the back looks really strange! Do not like.

Yes I know but I would be stripping it out and turning it into a track car

B)

B)

Got this from Wikipedia

The majority of E36 M3's were produced at the Regensburg factory, however a small number of detuned right hand drive M3's were assembled at BMW's Rosslyn plant in Pretoria, South Africa

Haha, blonde moment there Mark. Of course, they are vaders! Wonder why someone would replace the headrests with standard ones? Looks stupid now. Something like that would put me off buying a car like that.

Be unlikely to be detuned, SA cars are more often better tuned, it comes with the attitude I believe. BMW SA had a reputation for being a little rebellious at times, just look at some of their BMWs.

Be unlikely to be detuned, SA cars are more often better tuned, it comes with the attitude I believe. BMW SA had a reputation for being a little rebellious at times, just look at some of their BMWs.

It could make a good toy at the right price $$$

B)

Sure would. If it is detuned, I wonder if it's gone the full US version or something else?

Sure would. If it is detuned, I wonder if it's gone the full US version or something else?

I heard that it could have lower compression pistons for there fuel over there ??

But i'm not 100% sure ???

Trying to find out before I make him an offer

B)

Have heard they are detuned for lower grade SA fuel.

How, I'm not sure.

Hi there,

A friend of mine bought a 1993 Sterling silver ex Sth African E36 M3 several years ago. I recall that the previous owner was Kayne Scott (the race car driver) and it was anecdotally imported in NZ by Steve Daly of Sd European in Hamilton. It was a nice car and went very well- not sure about the engine being detuned though.

It was sold to a guy in Invercargill about 5-6 years ago and the mileage was around 192000 kms back then.

Regards,

SS

The US version has a 330 intake manifold.

Hi there,

A friend of mine bought a 1993 Sterling silver ex Sth African E36 M3 several years ago. I recall that the previous owner was Kayne Scott (the race car driver) and it was anecdotally imported in NZ by Steve Daly of Sd European in Hamilton. It was a nice car and went very well- not sure about the engine being detuned though.

It was sold to a guy in Invercargill about 5-6 years ago and the mileage was around 192000 kms back then.

Regards,

SS

I hear a distant bell ringing . . . I recall visiting Steve's operation several times on business around 1996 - 1997 and clearly remember seeing the twisted remains of a Dakar Yellow M3 coupe shell in the yard. I asked Steve about it and he said that he'd imported it from South Africa after it had been involved in a high speed accident over there. He'd stripped the interior and running gear out of it, carefully unstitched the firewall, welded it into a standard E36 coupe shell and transferred the running gear into it. Coincidence? Different car? Faulty memory? Possible grounds for defamation?

At the time he was driving an E12 M535i which he told me he'd also bought as a write-off, and reshelled it using an E28 shell. He'd swapped the firewall from the E12 into the E28 as well, and transferred the mechanicals over. He told me all about it as I'd been keen to buy the M535i, but kinda lost interest after he'd told me the history . . .

Edited by R90S

I hear a distant bell ringing . . . I recall visiting Steve's operation several times on business around 1996 - 1997 and clearly remember seeing the twisted remains of a Dakar Yellow M3 coupe shell in the yard. I asked Steve about it and he said that he'd imported it from South Africa after it had been involved in a high speed accident over there. He'd stripped the interior and running gear out of it, carefully unstitched the firewall, welded it into a standard E36 coupe shell and transferred the running gear into it. Coincidence? Different car? Faulty memory? Possible grounds for defamation?

At the time he was driving an E12 M535i which he told me he'd also bought as a write-off, and reshelled it using an E28 shell. He'd swapped the firewall from the E12 into the E28 as well, and transferred the mechanicals over. He told me all about it as I'd been keen to buy the M535i, but kinda lost interest after he'd told me the history . . .

Hi

Date of first registration in New Zealand: 1998, August 19th

May not be the same car ??

B)

Hi

Date of first registration in New Zealand: 1998, August 19th

May not be the same car ??

B)

With that date, no it's not the same car.

It may have a similar history though, if it passed though Steve's hands in the mid to late '90s . . .

From the Wiki.

The majority of E36 M3's were produced at the Regensburg factory, however a small number of detuned right hand drive M3's were assembled at BMW's Rosslyn plant in Pretoria, South Africa.[3] In total, 46,525 coupés, 12,114 Cabriolets and 12,603 saloons were produced. Saloon production ended in December, 1997; the coupé ceased production in late 1998; and the Cabriolet in December, 1999.[2]

Dont know how accurate that is.

Does anyone know who I can contact to find out more info on the S A imports ???

B)

From the Wiki.

Dont know how accurate that is.

I know I read the same article ???

B)

With that date, no it's not the same car.

It may have a similar history though, if it passed though Steve's hands in the mid to late '90s . . .

Hi mate,

Interesting.....I have suspected something possibly odd about my friends old car as he recently told me that this car was registered as a E36 325i. He never questioned it at the time as it was his first foray into BMW's and thought maybe that the rego was done in-correctly.

The rego on that car was UU4268.

ERgards

Hi mate,

Interesting.....I have suspected something possibly odd about my friends old car as he recently told me that this car was registered as a E36 325i. He never questioned it at the time as it was his first foray into BMW's and thought maybe that the rego was done in-correctly.

The rego on that car was UU4268.

ERgards

Thanks but this has different Regos, IBMWM3 and old one was XG5651

Cheers

Andy

B)

I had a look at this car today. It had the factory M3 hand book in the glove box and it said the compression was 10.8.

It is a honest car but the poor old thing has lived outside for a few years. Needs a new paint job to bring it

back to its former glory. Had damp carpet and that wet smell that they get. Suspect that the windows are leaking as

the sunroof looks OK. Also had a cracked induction pipe that goes between the intake manifold and the air cleaner.

Would definitely need to be fixed before it was driven to far.

I think it would make a fantastic targa car, would have brought it myself but already have to many other projects

on the go.

At this stage I am just looking for a nice fun car to drive to work that does not need a lot of work doing to it.

Think a 325 or 328 manual coupé will do just fine, although I'm off to look at the dark green M3 tomorrow.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=294632583

I had a look at this car today. It had the factory M3 hand book in the glove box and it said the compression was 10.8.

It is a honest car but the poor old thing has lived outside for a few years. Needs a new paint job to bring it

back to its former glory. Had damp carpet and that wet smell that they get. Suspect that the windows are leaking as

the sunroof looks OK. Also had a cracked induction pipe that goes between the intake manifold and the air cleaner.

Would definitely need to be fixed before it was driven to far.

I think it would make a fantastic targa car, would have brought it myself but already have to many other projects

on the go.

At this stage I am just looking for a nice fun car to drive to work that does not need a lot of work doing to it.

Think a 325 or 328 manual coupé will do just fine, although I'm off to look at the dark green M3 tomorrow.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=294632583

Thanks for that

Let me know what the other one is like

Cheers

B)

that Green M3 is Atta (crazy arabs) old one. It will be absolutely mint unless the new owners have let it slip

Edited by HT.