Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Restoring Leather Seats / Swaps!?

Am getting Paulies E30 tomorrow (we sussed a deal) so am looking at restoring the Tan Leather seats.

They have what looks like crazy cracks (not rips or tears, just very small thin cracks). So was wondering if there is an easy way to do it? Not interested in retrimming them. Any suggestions? Will put up photos tomorrow.

Edited by Shady

im not interested in restoring my seats yet either, but what i was recommended to do and seems to be okay ime was use shoe polish/nugget which brings the leather up good and also gets into the white cracks and dyes/covers them black. makes them a lot less noticable. just not a good idea to sit on them for a day or so after you do it so it has time to soak in, as it will rub off on clothes if you do a skid straight afterwards. May have trouble finding tan shoe polish though?

I'll try find some. Otherwise, how hard it be to dye it black without them fading?

This is what I used to do my leather interior I got Trade me link

Brilliant product in my opinion and service as well. Well I would say that as they aqre in Timaru haha

Yeah but does that get rid of the crazy cracks? From what I see, that helps stop it from starting in the first place - not reverse it.

Yeah but does that get rid of the crazy cracks? From what I see, that helps stop it from starting in the first place - not reverse it.

It's cracked. Nothing to going to make it go away other than recovering them. All you can do is hide it.

Funny... NOT.

Heres some photos of the seats. A mate reckons he knows a lady that can retrim seats for cheap & good at it - will look into that. Otherwise, anybody interested in swapping for Black Leather seats? Rear seat is for Coupe but fits Sedans. The door trims are black which have been painted to look Tan. Can chuck them in with the swap if wanted.

post-4588-1276406029.jpg

post-4588-1276406021.jpg

post-4588-1276405961.jpg

If anybody keen to swap, Id rather you come look first, as photos dont show how bad they really are. Still usable but not mint. Drivers is the worst though.

The front 100% need recovering, which will cost a fair bit. So you are better to just start looking for some better ones because it will be cheaper than fixing those I'm sure.

If you can get the recovering done cheap do it, other than that chuck them or just use them as is

Seat covers seem to fix cracks in leather pretty good.

I was thinking to buy some very tight fitted covers, but before I do anything, will see if anybody out there wants to swap for Black. Otherwise covers it may be - or recover completely.

I've recond stacks of leather seats but mate those fronts are way beyond help lol.

TBH I think the cost of recovering would be prohibitive.

Better to pick up a nice set of sports.

Good luck, but nobody is going to swap those for anything better. They're not recaro style so they are worth next to ning.

If you are thinking of black recaros, be prepared to pay $400+

I had a leather pro quote me 200 per seat to sand, fill and recolour my beige leather sports that were in similar/ maybe slightly better condition... they did have 1 or 2 almost rips as well.

Yes, I would like to swap my black leather recaros for your beyond repair beige comfort seats! <_<

Looks like you've gone from one money pit to another man... burn 'em and buy some new ones.

Wow. Where did I say swap for MINT leather? Saying swap means Im happy to look at any options. I've seen a set on Trademe for I think its $400 and the drivers is f--ked worst than mine - theirs is actualy torn up. So Im not the dreamer. Would even consider swapping the lot for 2 bucket seats - once again SETTLE DOWN. Am happy to consider anything. Wish people wouldnt jump to conclusions all the time...

I had a leather pro quote me 200 per seat to sand, fill and recolour my beige leather sports that were in similar/ maybe slightly better condition... they did have 1 or 2 almost rips as well.

Who and Where? May be worth a shot.

I'd tell you if i could remember sorry, however it was in kerikeri and he was from Whangarei I think, and went around car yards in the north touching up their seats etc

Ok sweet as. Might have a look thru the net & phone books, see if anyone local does it. Sounds logical to me - but will depend on prices :)

I got me some slightly ripped Grey/Black fabric sports for 200 bucks from the local wrecker... Just pays to keep an eye out ;)

Got them both repaired for 100 bucks!

Edited by antil33t

At $200 a pop you are still better off looking for some recaro seats or buckets or just some more better condition comfort seats. You'll still be spending $200 each on seats which aren't worth that even once finished.

People dont need calming down, just take their advice. As 1Rotty said, they're beyond help. Of course with deep enough pockets you can fix anything but for these seats, it's really not the most economical option.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-296730816.htm

I suppose you have taken peoples advise kind of, as you have put them on trademe now. A word of advise, nobody is going to pay $300 for those seats. If I remember correctly BRS sold a full interior of good condition dark blue recaros for not much more than that just recently.

I'm just sayin'

Edited by mark247

Its a bit easier to give advise nicely than to tell some to burn their sh-t. Thats just asking for it. Also put in my ad consider swaps for other seats or buckets (my $300 is cheaper than the other set on TM which are way worst). But even if I did get these repaired cheap I'd still sell - I'd rather front buckets or black. Just wanted to see if these could be repaired or not. Simple... Dont need people telling me to go burn my sh-t.

Just a heads up - My full tan leather interior for my coupe didn't sell for much, it was in good condition too. Ended up going for $80 or something.

I found that if the seats aren't the sport/recaro type there's not much interest in them. There's almost always a disparity between asking and eventual selling price on Trademe. Perhaps you should check how many times that other set has been relisted, or look through expired listings to see what the leather comfort seats have been actually selling for.

Though, I hope for your sake that I'm wrong!

Mark247's and Antil33t's advice ain't half bad - I'd follow it.

Its a bit easier to give advise nicely than to tell some to burn their sh-t. Thats just asking for it. Also put in my ad consider swaps for other seats or buckets (my $300 is cheaper than the other set on TM which are way worst). But even if I did get these repaired cheap I'd still sell - I'd rather front buckets or black. Just wanted to see if these could be repaired or not. Simple... Dont need people telling me to go burn my sh-t.

The other set on TM are recaro's, and it's the fifth auction they've been listed on. They're cracked and ripped worse than your set of comforts. They're rubbish.

All we are saying is that you are wasting your time trying to find someone who is going to swap anything worthwile for those seats.

I'm sorry to say this but they are a crappy seat that nobody wants and it doesn't help that they are cracked to hell.

If you thought you were going to make some coin on them or swap them for something cool, you are sadly mistaken.

Put them up on TM for $50 and see what happens, and then maybe find some cheap buckets and modify them to fit. More cheap, get some decent condition cloth seats and just be happy with them, in my opinion they aren't as ugly as the comforts and the cloth ones are comfortable enough.

Good luck.

Edited by mark247

Its a bit easier to give advise nicely than to tell some to burn their sh-t...

The advice above was perfectly sound and saved you from burning not your s**t, but your cash.