Sign in to follow this  
skyline_400r

Got caught today for my illegal german plates

Highway Patrol in Auckland are aware of them more from the Font.

I'm sure the Auckland Highway patrol must've gotten a memo about them..quite a few instances of people getting pinged for plates...maybe it's those cameras in the northern tunnel lol.

Ugh, if it gives demerits I now do care.

why should you get demerits for plates? It's not a driving offence. It doesn't make you a threat to society.

"I bought some fake plates....THEN EVERYONE DIED"

@ Cliff, or they're too busy on south road at 3pm every day.

Theres a 5 series and a 7 series always at the RSA round the corner from work, that shamelessly have printed plastic as their licence plates, with an italicised font in bold and everything. Im assuming they get away with it cos theyre war vets?

So far ive been pulled over once with my nz euro replicas and been driving near a few cops and nothing so far luckily.

Spotted many many fake nz euros, no holograms...

Im tempted to keep my originals in the boot, but seeing as theyre personalised i dont want an extra set floating round doing petrol drive offs etc..

Ugh, if it gives demerits I now do care.

why should you get demerits for plates? It's not a driving offence. It doesn't make you a threat to society.

Their excuse on the news is that if they're lenient, then stolen cars etc could be easily hidden with cheap plates etc. All the thieves need to do is find another model in the same colour and get some fake plates. Same with robberies, etc where vehicle identification may be crucial.

So in a roundabout way - fake plates is a threat to society.

Out of interest, has anyone ever had a speeding ticket from a camera* with the 'illegal' europlates on?

Edited by tastic

Out of interest, has anyone ever had a speeding ticket with the 'illegal' europlates on?

Yes

@ Cliff, or they're too busy on south road at 3pm every day.

:lol: I think it's quieter now, that half of the Dunedin chapter of the Mongrol Mob have been locked away ;)

Nah, they ticket everyone speeding past the school....

I usually count about 9+ tickets being dished out on most days.

they dont know how to do other works,only chasing cars and cars.stupid cops.

they dont know how to do other works,only chasing cars and cars.stupid cops.

If you're saying what I think you're saying...I don't think you know what cops have to put up with. Sure, there may be a bad egg or two, but it's by no means a flash job, and it doesn't get any better if the public have your attitude.

Sorry for the off topic, but I can't keep quiet on that one.

+1^^^ have 3 friends who are policemen and stories they tell me, of their average weeks do not sound like traffic duty/boyracer checks to me.

I'd be keen on a set too, I already have euro plates but want a set of the oldschool black background ones

yeah thats what i want for the E30, and i might get a regular set for the Volvo as well coz the front plate is all mangled to f**k anyway

On another note

Has anyone actually read the laws on number plates?

I had a decent read and couldn't find anything about plates having to be issued by LTSA or anyone or having to have a hologram

All i recall was reading that it needs to be black on white, reflective plate etc etc..

If someone would care to confirm that'd be nice

Print it out to show mr policeman, if you ever get pulled over with euro plates!

On another note

I had a decent read and couldn't find anything about plates having to be issued by LTSA or anyone or having to have a hologram

All i recall was reading that it needs to be black on white, reflective plate etc etc..

If someone would care to confirm that'd be nice

In one of the documents pertaining to plates, might be the VIRM - the plate pretty much has to be manufactured by the licensys (?). Though, it might be that the plate just has to comply with regulation - licensys are the only authorised manufacturer of the font/hologram, etc. So I think the issue was that if a replica was able to be produced, it wouldn't be from an authorised manufacturer and there'd be a breach of some other laws regarding licencing, etc.

The plate must be mount in an unmodified fashion that is front/rear facing and entirely visible. So in theory the mild bending to fit my mtechII bumper is illegal, and so is obscuring your rear plate with say, a bike rack or similar.

It seems like a bit of a farce, the price sure is! But like I said above - with regards to stolen cars, being lenient on unauthorised plates really does make it poos for everyone.

On another note

Yes. Plates must be manufactured by Licensys. Licensys will only manufacture plates for govt issue or if an order is initiated by plates.co.nz.

If they aren't official plates, they are illegal. No ifs, buts, or maybes.

Edited by *Glenn*

Crims steal plates all the time to disguise their cars from cars parked on the street. However doing a credit card transaction to buy a german plate would take a lot more effort and be totally traceable. Also have you ever read a headline that blamed crimns getting away on a non officla plate?

I think they are protecting the monopoly that is the personalised plate business in NZ. Nothing less and nothing more.

it's not a monopoly anymore... they opened up the market in november, there are just no other players at the moment.

Well that is a monopoly in that there is still only one firm in the market. The monopoly will be broken when a new firm starts up.

Someone should invest in it seriously.

Just got back from australia.

It's like numberplate heaven.

They have Gold On Black, Silver on Black, White on Black, Black on White,

Shape wise they have Slim plates, square plates (eg 2 letter size), normal plates, Euro plates

It's crazy. They have such a wide selection they put new zealand to shame

Anyone wanna start a plate business

This topic spurred me into action. Just bought a genuine personalised euro plate today "JIM TOY" for my 740. Hopefully i can re-use the german plate holders for the NZ ones.

i picked up a set of german plates the [D*] in blue ones off trademe a while back.

but its all white!! no fonts or any kind of letters on it.

i was thinking of printing my letters off in the nz regulation font (whatever it is) in vinyl

and then sticking it on the "empty" plates.

i wonder how that will go..

also i spotted a e30 a few days ago with the nz euro plates and a normal plate cut out real thin, just around the letters and stuck on top of the euro plates. lol

il just stick with standard ones :D

no point tryna draw more attention than necessary

Found this - genuine NZ euro plates for $199. May be worth checking out.

http://www.autopassion.co.nz/euro/

As a final finishing touch for all Euro cars, Autopassion Euro is happy to offer a range of three styles of Euro Plates. Standard number plates look a little lost on Euro cars, but with our authentic NZ Europlates in black or blue, the look is complete. We also do German Euro Plates.