Sign in to follow this  
SRBMW

M3 engines

Calm down, I don't have any for sale

Obviously everyone wants one but I'm looking at sourcing a few of the e36-e46 engines and gearboxes and wanted to see what the going rate is here in NZ for them. If you have seen them available can you let me know how much for please.

Darren

Calm down, I don't have any for sale

Obviously everyone wants one but I'm looking at sourcing a few of the e36-e46 engines and gearboxes and wanted to see what the going rate is here in NZ for them. If you have seen them available can you let me know how much for please.

Darren

$12 to $15K for the 3.2 engine and i think around $3k for the gearboxes. Check with Ray at HellBM.

$12 to $15K for the 3.2 engine and i think around $3k for the gearboxes. Check with Ray at HellBM.

From the trademe auctions I watched not sell for months at $15-18k, I'd say for that money one would expect not only the 3.2 and gearbox, but also the broken car they're attached to...

Actually, if anyone wants to spend $18k on an M50B32, they could just about buy my car which is very nice.

From the trademe auctions I watched not sell for months at $15-18k, I'd say for that money one would expect not only the 3.2 and gearbox, but also the broken car they're attached to...

Actually, if anyone wants to spend $18k on an M50B32, they could just about buy my car which is very nice.

hard out. seriously though, id pay up to 5 or 6k for one (obviously im not going to find one for that), more than that and it just becomes extra buck for no extra bang. may as well spend the rest of that on an Mxx instead and get it to go as good if not better, or import one of the US-Spec ones, or look towards our Japanese brothers

Is there nothing you dont feel obliged to comment on?

Ever heard of watch & learn?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the S50B32 full loom, ECU and box as the missus has her eyes on an AMG S-class and cant really justify buying that and having 10 odd K of engine lying around the garage, if anyone is after an S50 PM me and if i do decide to part with it, I will get in touch and talk particulars!

stroked m50?

import one of the US-Spec ones

us spec s50/2 is like putting an m52b20 in an e30

srbmw which country would you be planning on getting the engines from? i am interested depending on price and history of engines

stroked m50?

us spec s50/2 is like putting an m52b20 in an e30

typo im guessing

what makes you say that?

a whole lot of work for an engine that isn't nearly as good as the s50b30/32s. there must be a reason some people in the states spend big dollars on getting euro s50's. also can't see it being too cheap to buy and get here.

but being honest i'm just talking big behind a keyboard. i'm only stating this from information i have read and i have no experience with any m3

a whole lot of work for an engine that isn't nearly as good as the s50b30/32s. there must be a reason some people in the states spend big dollars on getting euro s50's. also can't see it being too cheap to buy and get here.

but being honest i'm just talking big behind a keyboard. i'm only stating this from information i have read and i have no experience with any m3

actually thinking about it some more you probably would be better off with NZ M5x over the US engine by the time you take shipping into consideration. I didnt take that into acount. Still though, Euro S50s are, imho, over priced for what they are. id be surprised if equivelent power cant be had for half that, and bolted into the car ready to go with suspension and brakes for about the same or not much more.

Same here, just going of figures on paper and what ive read

Well reading more seems the s52 from the US seems to be quite puss and not worth bringing in so would bring them in from UK the US s54 seem okay just restrictive cats etc think I will focus on the s54 engines as they are newer and will have lower miles.

I would look at getting more than one engine at same time to lessen shipping costs and get the s50 motors out of the uk. They range in price from 1250 uk pounds (approx 2800 nzd) for the 3.0 and 1750uk up for the 3.2. I think you may even find some s54 engine on ebay uk if you keep a look out.

yeah you may be resricting your market a bit bringing in S54s. they may be good and all, but its possible the E30/E36 guys will be less keen on them, and tuned E46s arent big here yet. Bring in as many S50s as you can imo

Well reading more seems the s52 from the US seems to be quite puss and not worth bringing in so would bring them in from UK the US s54 seem okay just restrictive cats etc think I will focus on the s54 engines as they are newer and will have lower miles.

I believe there are more issues with transplants involving s54's than s50's. These can be over come but its alot more costly iirc.

Is there nothing you dont feel obliged to comment on?

Ever heard of watch & learn?

It`s obvious that he can`t help himself. I have learnt to sift out the replies that count.

Anyway. Prices are at the moment aprox. $10000 for S50B32 and 5 speed or $12000 with 6 speed.

Try to make sure that they are ready to plug and play i.e. loom,ecu,ews if possible,oil cooler etc.etc. The cost I quoted should include all the above.

Yeah, Ray's price sounds more what I'd expect (funny that, given he sells them). I keep an eye on prices as I have an unnatural and unfounded paranoia that my engine might explode in a $8k+ ball of fire (I guess I wouldn't need all the attachments, so could prolly find one a little cheaper or sell bits to reduce cost, but hey, its all theoretical given my engine is in fine condition).

S54s seems to be a tough swap looking around the internets. Easy to get it in, hard to get it to run right...

bbs:

QUOTE (CamB @ Jun 21 2010, 05:48 PM) *

stroked m50?

Its a typo of course :wacko: A moment to look over there <-------- and you'd see I have an E36 M3.

Try to make sure that they are ready to plug and play i.e. loom,ecu,ews if possible,oil cooler etc.etc. The cost I quoted should include all the above.

+ a key chip or 2 if possible

S54s seems to be a tough swap looking around the internets. Easy to get it in, hard to get it to run right...

Its not so difficult, most of the problems are people cant get their head around wiring and the programming.

Most of it is just understanding the modules and the comms path. There is really good documentation BMW put out that explain the 'protocol' path. The trick I guess is to read between the lines and constantly consult and trust the diagrams. Test and re-test to prove the wire is what it is. Signal and voltage reading confirm 95% of this.

While 'only' doing EWS2 on MSS50, once you read the electrical diagrams and understand them. Work arounds are not that hard.

Brendon and I have started on website which details the s50 build and we will be going right down into the electrical details to help others.