Sign in to follow this  
EdifGee

Boosting 318i

Hey. I'm new to the whole bmw thing. Usually go for oldschool rides. But change is always good.

So, i've owned this 1986 318i for a couple of months now and decided after it sitting on my lawn for a month or so with a blown head, that its time to do something about it. I'm half deciding on what to do to it. after weighing up multiple options I decided that i am going to turbo it. Not quite sure as to how yet, but it should be a fun learning curve for me.

Specs-

-1986 318i 4 door

Nana spec pretty much except for it being on bumpys. <_<

And its manual so there is the car playing to my advantage.

Here's to a good start and here's to a good start to it.

good luck there . transplant would be more acceptable and less hassle

Cheers. What sort of transplant? lol but then there's not really much fun making manifolds and such like that.

Edited by EdifGee

Welcome to the BMW world - i have an m10 1.8 with manual box if you need a replacement. 02102777666

Hey man cheers. That could come in handy lol. How much you looking for? i cant text now cause my phone is broken but when i get a new one i will give you a text.

Edited by EdifGee

Just make me a reasonable offer - i want it gone lol. Was running when i removed it. Gbox is still attached (Not sure of clutch condition) has been on blocks under a tarp since removed.

Sweet as. I was going to buy just a motor off a dude in palmy for 190 bucks. so I would offer 250? i dont really care about the g box as of now. but you never know.

$250 and the lot is yours. done.

sweet lol cheers. I'll get hold of you as soon as poss. I'll try get to a cell phone so i can text. Cheers man.

SO, Yesterday while visting a friend, rummaging through his shed to try and find spring comperssors I discovered a small hoard of turbos and a small intercooler. So now it's the turbo sussed and have a intercooler sitting with me waiting to be put into the car.

The turbo is a Garrett M24 Ball bearing turbo off a silvia and the intercooler is off a skyline. I'm not to sure on that. just assuming because he has a r32 rb20det that came with heaps of spares.

Next on the list of buys is a new head and gasket because my old motor after doing 331000 odd k's crapped itself. and an oil change. Picked both up for 80 bucks and scored a free exhaust as well.

Also in the next few weeks picking up a donor motor for my turbo project thanks to Kerry.

Everything is ready to go now. Just waiting on more funds to come in then it's away. New head is on the cards but haven't had time to take off the head thats on it now. Manifold should be underway soon. And exhaust is being made up now. Should be good to go in the next month or so.

Edited by EdifGee

Upload them to imageshack or other such picture hosting sites.

I like the speed at this is moving. Keep it up

Thanks man. i'm just doing it at which speed i can. It will probably slow down soon lol. Running out of free time GRRRRR <_<

Its another rainy day so i decided I would not bother with school and work on my car. I spent some of last night getting the boot smoothed off. Was looking at my turbo today and noticed that where i'm going to have it mounted i'm not going to get any intake plumbing up to it so am trying to find a way around getting that to work. I turned my housing around but that didnt work because I wouldn't be able to have the actuator mounted on. Anyone know of a way around this?? Like can I run the turbo without the actuator?? Help please!!!!

its a t28 not a m24 and if you dont run the actuator you will need to weld shut the wastegate and then run an external wastegate

its a t28 not a m24 and if you dont run the actuator you will need to weld shut the wastegate and then run an external wastegate

Okay thanks. And it says on the turbo that its a A/R60 M24. I got told that they are the same thing.

I see where this is going.

I think I do to...." Heartache Hotel" ??

It's still a T28 turbo - the A/R .60 is the ... A/R (area ratio) and the M24 is on most Garrett turbos.

You can use a different actuator (a "standard" garrett one) that mounts to the bolts holding the compressor housing on, like this:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w229/ca...rbostuff005.jpg

I've got one of those (in the pic) from a Pulsar GTIR - I will have a look and see if the actuator is useable (I seem to remember it had a rust problem).

Working with what you've got, you can rotate the compressor housing a little and still be able to use the standard wastegate actuator, and then if the turbo is mounted a little higher and further forward, and on a different angle, it should work:

Posted Image

I think I do to...." Heartache Hotel" ??

haha so many people have said the same thing but this car is just for a laugh so it doesnt really matter that much to me. I've got a rotary motor in line for it so hopefully that goes well.

CamB : So pretty much going by what you said I can run the actuator but with a whole lot of other sh*t done to the turbo to make it run. In theory wouldn't it be easier to just run a external on it? Thanks for the help.

Depends if you can weld I guess.

What I suggested isn't really that difficult and you have to do it anyway when you clock the turbo (to make the drain hole point down) and make the manifold.

Depends if you can weld I guess.

What I suggested isn't really that difficult and you have to do it anyway when you clock the turbo (to make the drain hole point down) and make the manifold.

So pretty much what your saying is that I can weld the wastegate shut. (which i can weld btw) and then from there on I can just run a external on it? I'm semi lost right now lol

Welding the wastegate shut is easy - welding up an entire exhaust manifold and dumppipe is the hard bit. If you can DIY, all good. If you're paying someone else, it'd be cheaper to work something out with the internal wastegate (if that makes sense - less hours to pay for to make a manifold for an internal than an external).

I guess its cheaper anyway with an internal - you have to buy an external...

I have a mate that is a engineer he's helping me build the manifold and sh*t but I'm still tossing up whether or not to run external. But I'm leaning more to that side so. Does it make much difference?