Sign in to follow this  
Apex

10 Reasons WHY I SHOULD buy another E30.

I couldn't be bothered reading right through ...

You didnt miss much ..

Ha. They are much quicker than you think. Infact I would say the top end would be quicker around the track than you in your french thing.

Nah

Nah

Times.

Times....

....five equals Nah Nah, Nah Nah Nah and is immature.

Like you say the E30 series cars are fun and it’s a fun series to be a part of for those who can afford it, it looks great! My statement that they were slow was in relation to money spend, they do feel fast to be in and would feel a lot faster when you were bumper to bumper with 30 of them. I would rather an open class of car with more power as im not that competitive and would prefer to build something that interests me without regulations and then challenge myself by decreasing my lap times through improvements to both driving and my car. If that makes sense. Would also like to do a full Targa in the next few years.

Oh and E30’s are great, this thread was more to highlight what’s wrong with them in an attempt to make them less desirable and remind me why I don’t need one, they are a real love/hate car, you love them when you don’t own one but you hate them when you do.. Would be easy note ten reasons why they were great!

Guest Simon*

So we've got no times to compare then? I was getting interested in this argument :)

Out of interest what times are the leading E30 guys doing round Puke and HD?

Dude, please don't. The e30 is too much car mechanically for you.

So we've got no times to compare then? I was getting interested in this argument :)

Out of interest what times are the leading E30 guys doing round Puke and HD?

1.14 at puke, and 1.22 at HD in race trim, the 320's are faster again with the ballast weight out.

Dude, please don't. The e30 is too much car mechanically for you.

They seem to be too much a car mechanically for a lot of people haha, 80% of them around here have spent more time as a ‘work in progress’ than actually being driven so that’s ominous. I have done quite a few track days and driven my E30’s daily, more than most can say ;)

Problem is people feel the need modify them and then spend two years posting pictures and talking about their respective cars but never actually make it to a meet, drive or trackday in them.

Just get in and enjoy them I say.

1.14 at puke, and 1.22 at HD in race trim, the 320's are faster again with the ballast weight out.

Those aren’t too bad times for a relatively heavy and low powered car, I highly doubt most of them would be lapping at those times, especially most I have seen at track days when they are more a rolling road block then anything.

They're too small.

Non adjustable steering column doesn’t help the small feel.

What is the point of this thread exactly?

You say you sort of want one then just wank on about how sh*t they are?

Think a mod needs to hit you with the GTFO stick.

@ Apex, personally, I have wayyyyy more fun working on/building mine than I ever do driving it, and I am sure a few others on here would feel the same.

Looks like you have already convinced yourself you don't want another one, no need to go on about it.

Edited by Brams

I've spent a lot of time in an E30 on the track at Puke on test days, and the worst thing about them is the lack of straight line speed. I can't recall a time when a road car has been able to keep up anywhere other than the back straight, and most of the time road cars are the moving chicane, getting in the road and slowing you down until the back straight comes along.

I'd rather track the E30 than any road car at Puke for straight fun, and going around Jennian at 170 odd ks is the biggest buzz you'll get, still my fav corner anywhere I've driven. :wub:

Those aren’t too bad times for a relatively heavy and low powered car, I highly doubt most of them would be lapping at those times, especially most I have seen at track days when they are more a rolling road block then anything.

The times Foxy is quoting are for an E30 318 Series car, basically a standard road car with a few simple changes to shocks / springs / brake pads and the interior stripped out. Admittedly with a good driver.

In terms of bang for buck on the track you can't beat it, very reliable fun as well in that level of tune. But if you want a comfortable, economical, reliable A to B vehicle then your in the wrong ball park!

What is the point of this thread exactly?

You say you sort of want one then just wank on about how sh*t they are?

Think a mod needs to hit you with the GTFO stick.

Must have hit a nerve, im sure it’s you who dished out the old “brother cant work on a car†comment, that’s true, I find a wheel barrow too mechanically advanced but I don’t pretend to be a mechanic, I leave that to the pro’s like yourself mate. I may be useless at working on my cars but they see a lot more of the road and track then most and at the end of the day that’s what cars are for, driving, they are not la piece of Lladro or a place to sit stuff on top of in a garage.

Thread was just a laugh, we go on about how awesome they are so much, why not touch on the negatives for a laugh, im obviously less serious than I thought!

Mods hit me with the GTFO thread? For what, starting a thread most have joined in on?

@ Apex, personally, I have wayyyyy more fun working on/building mine than I ever do driving it, and I am sure a few others on here would feel the same.

Looks like you have already convinced yourself you don't want another one, no need to go on about it.

I will be getting another E30 regardless, just gotta find one, they are great car, coolest car for under 20k easy.

I've spent a lot of time in an E30 on the track at Puke on test days, and the worst thing about them is the lack of straight line speed. I can't recall a time when a road car has been able to keep up anywhere other than the back straight, and most of the time road cars are the moving chicane, getting in the road and slowing you down until the back straight comes along.

I'd rather track the E30 than any road car at Puke for straight fun, and going around Jennian at 170 odd ks is the biggest buzz you'll get, still my fav corner anywhere I've driven. :wub:

Not everyone can drive them though and when you get a slow driver in one they are a pain in the but, especially seeing they can move around mid corner a lot easier than a road car on road tyres.

You better add shaved head and block, race cam and remap.

Not everyone can drive them though and when you get a slow driver in one they are a pain in the but, especially seeing they can move around mid corner a lot easier than a road car on road tyres.

Same can be said for most road cars at track days. ;)

The times Foxy is quoting are for an E30 318 Series car, basically a standard road car with a few simple changes to shocks / springs / brake pads and the interior stripped out. Admittedly with a good driver.

In terms of bang for buck on the track you can't beat it, very reliable fun as well in that level of tune. But if you want a comfortable, economical, reliable A to B vehicle then your in the wrong ball park!

Basically a standard road car with a roll cage no interior and racing tyres, springs and dampers.. I know some are fast and I have talked to a few of the guys with the fast ones and as you know they have spent a lot more money than most will admit, a few have commented It’s not the economical form of racing it was initially intended to be.

I must have the wrong end of the stick.

Depends whether you are there for a whole lot of fun, great company and bullsh*t, or to run at the very front.

My 5 cars have all been on the track for under $12,000 to start with, one was only $10,000, and were all capable of running top 10 at any time. But I also know of people who run up bills around 20 to 30 k a year trying to get that last little bit out, IMHO most of them would be better and faster spending the money on driver training, wouldn't have so many repair bills as well.:P

Im not familiar with the politics of im sure a lot of the 'problems with the cars' will come down to the drivers, at regular track days the E30’s are always there and we have seen some shocking things , to the point one of the trackday's guys got in a fight with the E30 driver.

It does look like fun though and given a competitive nature and some driver skill would be awesome.

Unfortunately it’s not just the basic build cost, its maintenance, travelling costs, time away from work and the risk of someone destroying your car. All this needs to be accounted for and I for one cant afford it! Was not pooh poohing it guys!

I don't understand. You own a "Track" car but you're scared of all the things that it is built for.

I know where you're coming from, but those are all excuses you've listed. If you want to do something badly enough you find a way, so just do it. :P

Guest Simon*

I don't think the quality or competitiveness of the E30 series is in any doubt here.

I'd like to turn the discussion back to the relative merits of the E30 as a fun little car, on track or off. Accordingly I have changed the title of the thread.

Please continue. Less biting and no e-fights please :)