Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

E30 Series Race Car

Glad you got it sorted Jack, and also that it was a simple fix that didn't cost you lots to put right. Andy will know what to expect on the pedal feel so that is a good indication.

Did you watch the guy while he was doing the bleeding so you could see how it works? I am not having a go, and I realise you are young and inexperienced, but this is one of the standard, simple jobs, that you really need to be able to do for yourself. In the long run it will save you time and money and also give you a better understanding and feel for your car.

When you get to be be part of the BMW racing circus there will be lots of old heads about that will give you plenty of help and advice on this type of thing, so don't worry you'll pick it up as you go along.

Glad you got it sorted Jack, and also that it was a simple fix that didn't cost you lots to put right. Andy will know what to expect on the pedal feel so that is a good indication.

Did you watch the guy while he was doing the bleeding so you could see how it works? I am not having a go, and I realise you are young and inexperienced, but this is one of the standard, simple jobs, that you really need to be able to do for yourself. In the long run it will save you time and money and also give you a better understanding and feel for your car.

When you get to be be part of the BMW racing circus there will be lots of old heads about that will give you plenty of help and advice on this type of thing, so don't worry you'll pick it up as you go along.

yea I know pretty well how to bleed them, thanks to heath. Just didn't know how to adjust the drums but know that now too.

Learnt heaps out of this experience and now can't wait to get out onto the track and have some fun. Got a pit bitch coming with a camera so lots of photos to come =D

btw x5 fixed thanks to AA =)

Edited by Young Jack

Great to hear it's sussed Jack. As I suspected from deveopments of the thread -rears needing adjustment.

Have fun at the weekend. :)

the brakes were okay, still plenty of room to improve though. Jack's only going to be doing road speeds this weekend so should be okay. There is a enough pads left on the front but I would definitely keep an eye on them. Car could definitely do with a coolant flush if you have time tomorrow, but only attempt this if you know how to do this (properly)

Edited by bmw3

Great to hear it's sussed Jack. As I suspected from deveopments of the thread -rears needing adjustment.

Have fun at the weekend. :)

haha well done.

you are officially always right and the bimmersport voice of reason, along with Foxy and glenn =D

Thanks again Grant. =)

EDIT: AS andy said. Brakes are good but I won't be going hard just having fun and getting to know the car etc like that. Might have a little fun on the straights but really really early braking =) I just wanna have some fun finally.

Edited by Young Jack

oh the other thing I noticed was how much the konis make a difference, wow just wow.. its just like steering a barge without konis in there.

Post Track Hack Update =D

Day was awesome, thanks to james again for organizing it.

Had so much fun, couldn't get enough especially in the afternoon when everyone was watching the skid pad =D

Think I got the hang of the corners but as soon as I needed some power I got slaughtered and raped by every one.

I didn't mind cause I got round 42 laps in and was so happy I was even laughing when I got sideways or when I went straight ahead at turn 2 =)

Best Lap time recorded by Dad's stopwatch was a 1:36 which I was really happy with considering I started the day with no track time or more than 3 hours in a manual car =D My 50/50 road tire combo worked well too!!!

Can't wait for the next day. Im totally in love with Hampton Downs, and have already got my list of things to do for the next day.

- Rear Shock mounts fitted =)

- Fix massive problem with exhuast.

- Dyno tune ( I know its not a really important but my shocks were fine and more power would help =)

- Replace all cooling hoses ( one pipe was rubbing on the alternator and leaked lots of water ) Thanks to Dan, Ray and everyone who helped with that =)

- TOYO's =DDDDDDDDDD

maybe koni's.

post-5250-1294036538.jpg

Edited by Young Jack

Very cool to see you made it to the track (and had fun) - congrats :)

Look what I just scored for $30 Bucks on TradeMe =DDDD Bet ya too it this time Foxy =DDDDD

Fairly worn but will give them a wipe down tomorrow and prepare to stick em on the rear =) Since I have no power I doubt they're get worn too bad that quickly.

post-5250-1294213180.jpg

post-5250-1294213186.jpg

Look what I just scored for $30 Bucks on TradeMe =DDDD Bet ya too it this time Foxy =DDDDD

Fairly worn but will give them a wipe down tomorrow and prepare to stick em on the rear =) Since I have no power I doubt they're get worn too bad that quickly.

Only cause I didn't want them, enough rubbish of my own. :P

Everything is going well so far for the car to be there on the 31st. Window went in yesterday, fixed all the rust on the sills with Ray from Chubb Racing Ltd ( rollcage.co.nz ) Great guy!!

We got all my lights working, park lights, tail lights all indicators. Great bunch of guys. Even fixed my exhaust leak and power steering. Learnt even more today, so building the car is teaching me =D

Off to get authority card signed off tomorrow, hopefully gonna get it back real quick as i've organized to fax it to them. Then its booked in for a WOF check Tuesday, if authority card comes back, Ill do what's needed for a WOF before Friday and have it booked again for a WOF on Friday.

Ill post pics soon.

I see you chasing those tyres Jack, good thing I don't want them either. :ph34r:

Are you selling this beastie after all this hard work Jack?

Listing expires tomorrow. If its at the anniversary meet then its definitely not for sale. I loved driving it to Gavin's and Albany this weekend. Driving it on the road was fine, I even got some honks and woooohooooooosss on the motorway today =) Love my little blue car. Don't wanna let it go now, only reason its gotten this far recently is people offering to help me get it road worthy this weekend, been awesome. Again, Ray Chubb. Rollcage.co.nz, can't thank him enough.

You can have these ones Foxy =) Need all my money for rego, authority card, clubsport license, WOF, and fuel. Im now in debt instead of being broke haha

EDIT: haha just noticed that, that must have been Dad bidding on them =DDDDD Birthday present =DDDD

Edited by Young Jack

Any ideas on replacing the front shocks. I have a parts car but I have no idea how to remove the shocks and get them back on....

Its a bit of a pain. Strut has to come out then you use stilton grips to loosen the locking collar that locks the shock insert inside the strut. You will need an alignment afterwards too. Best done under supervision the first time.

Air ratchet at any tyre shop will be the winner, saves munching the nut/collar with a stilson/pipe wrench

Edited by Hi-Tek

Bring it around and we can give it a shot.

Bring it around and we can give it a shot.

Sounds good. Fun part is I need to get a good set off my parts car first or my car will be stuck at yours along with a tall ginger =)

When you are in here today we can show you exactly what to do, then if we are not to busy you MAY be able to borrow our hoist and air tools :)

When you are in here today we can show you exactly what to do, then if we are not to busy you MAY be able to borrow our hoist and air tools :)

Thanks Johno. Im going off hunting for some front shocks now =)