Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

E30 prices....

wow im surprised.. is that for non-m3s in this market?

Theyre not for sale ATM

Here's an idea... if you don't want to pay the prices commanded for E30's... don't. :)

The demand for E30's means that good ones command higher prices and therefore crappier ones can command higher prices too. I mean, almost every new member that introduces themselves on the forums is "on the hunt for a manual E30"!

The blue car for $8500 has obviously had a LOT of work done to it. And as Westy said, if you want to buy a cheaper one all power to you, but you'll be spending more than that doing all the neglected maintenance on it.

I've put probably 4k into my car since I bought it, and I've probably got another 4 to go to make it perfect. Will I get $15k for it when I sell it?... nope, but I can always try.

I appreciate the good ones, even so I was asking why the prices seem so high in comparison to E36s. There seems to be a concept that E30s in an untidy state will fetch 5k. Correct me if I am wrong but that is a wee bit silly?

The blue one is evidently a very nice car. I can also see why a genuine tech1/2 gets a good price as they are sought after, being "special". I'm just wondering how 318s seem to catch good money when generally they are horrid cars? A 318is e30 I can understand too, also very well modified cars [tidy and legal doesn't seem to change the price....]

Recently there has been a few nice E30s sold for good money, at the same time chromed up cut springers are getting good money too.

I'm just having a rant as I am wondering what to get next after I sell the boat and though a manual or even relatively tidy E30 would be nice. But not for 5k+.

In my opinion a good, well maintained, unmolested E30 is verging on being a collectable classic car. These are a rarity and deserve the prices that are being asked.

The rest, which are mostly run down badly maintained pieces of sh*t are basically worthless.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-310704830.htm

See, this is a nice E30. Not shagged with. Recaros, leather and bbs fact wheels. Good KMs, straight looking body with sharp paint. This is the kind I'd pay 5k for if it was manual.

In my opinion a good, well maintained, unmolested E30 is verging on being a collectable classic car. These are a rarity and deserve the prices that are being asked.

The rest, which are mostly run down badly maintained pieces of sh*t are basically worthless.

My point exactly, just clearer and less rambling....

I have customers with E30's that you wouldn't be able to buy for under $25,000

Do they get "low-ball" 20k offers very often? I suspect no.

I still maintain the market for $20k and up non-M3 E30s comprises a handful of people and will be volatile.

Being a "collectible" classic is no guarantee of rising values by the way. Porsche 911s (the proper pre-89 ones) have had their values savaged in the last few years.

Edited by CamB

May I suggest that $25,000 for a non- M3 e30 does not have much at all to do with the fact that it is an E30, more the condition that the old car is in, and the rarity of the CONDITION not the car. These are not really part of the market.

A thin argument I know, but valid I think.

edit: I agree CamB, cars need to steadily trade at a price for that to be their VALUE, as opposed to $17k+ which is more likely severance.

Edited by nath

IMO E30 is a fairly broad term. You can't really compare a 300,000km imported 320i auto that's upside down in a paddock in Huntly compared to some of the fine examples here... Like this for example...

Posted Image

Gawd, every time I see it...

If I had the discretionary money at the time of it's sale I'd own it. Ask the poor owner how many PM's I've sent him in the last year asking to buy it. Kent would be able to tell you!

I'm in the slow process of tracking down parts to make my E30 tidy, but not mint. It needs a paint job, which is coming at the end of the year, and a new dash, seats and carpet to make me happy. Mechanically it's in very good condition though, and drives very well. Once I've done all that I will try for as close to $6,000 as possible. That's quite a long shot though.

There is a limit to how tidy you can make a car (especially an E30) before you erode the essence of it. I like the idea that an E30 can be slightly rough, yet it will drive you to the moon and back. Maintain it, enjoy it, but do not make it a pristine car that only sees the light of day once a month. Fair enough if that is your thing though.

I was thinking about this last night, and was thinking that an 'OK' E30 is $6- 8k, a 'very good' E30 is $10 - 15k, and an 'exceptional' E30 (non-M3) is $15k and up.

To level set, by 'OK', I mean the car is mechanically fine, car is properly maintained, thebody is OK and it is reliable.

How you get to these figures is up to you. Using a 'very good' E30 as an example, you buy it in that condition for $15k, or you buy an average E30 for $5k, and spend $10k getting it up to the 'very good' level, or an 'OK' E30 and spent $5 -7k on it to get it to the 'very good' level. Therefore this creates the value.

Unfortunately for a lot of E30 owners, 'OK' means it has four wheels, an engine that starts most of the time, and gets them from a - b despite having nearly everything worn out, and having to fight to make it pass every WOF.

I just sold my absolutly mint 1990 320i 4 Door Manual in White for $4K. Was all original bar the conversion. 150,000km.

Posted Image

^^^^ thats a tidy unit - 4k was probably a bit cheap IMO - was it NZ New?

No I think she was a Jappa. But I sold it to a mate so the price was adjusted.

Still had factory head unit and stacker, everything worked, interior looked like it had never been used. Pretty sure the boot had never had anything placed in it. Could see a few little repairs here and there. Was going to turn it into a race car. But was to good for that.

roll cage and a set of mags , you might have got 12k

I was thinking about this last night, and was thinking that an 'OK' E30 is $6- 8k, a 'very good' E30 is $10 - 15k, and an 'exceptional' E30 (non-M3) is $15k and up.

To level set, by 'OK', I mean the car is mechanically fine, car is properly maintained, thebody is OK and it is reliable.

How you get to these figures is up to you. Using a 'very good' E30 as an example, you buy it in that condition for $15k, or you buy an average E30 for $5k, and spend $10k getting it up to the 'very good' level, or an 'OK' E30 and spent $5 -7k on it to get it to the 'very good' level. Therefore this creates the value.

Unfortunately for a lot of E30 owners, 'OK' means it has four wheels, an engine that starts most of the time, and gets them from a - b despite having nearly everything worn out, and having to fight to make it pass every WOF.

Sorry Grant but damned if I know which e30s you & some of the other guys are refering to But there are f/a achieving prices anywhere near that.

Just look at how long they are sitting on TM for-asking & getting prices are two different animals.

Having said that not much is selling atm which has little to do with the make or model

i would consider my schnitzer now very close to mint but it owes me $11k-would I get that for it-I hope you're right & I'm wrong :D

No I think she was a Jappa. But I sold it to a mate so the price was adjusted.

Still had factory head unit and stacker, everything worked, interior looked like it had never been used. Pretty sure the boot had never had anything placed in it. Could see a few little repairs here and there. Was going to turn it into a race car. But was to good for that.

I should have kept that Dan :(

Sorry Grant but damned if I know which e30s you & some of the other guys are refering to But there are f/a achieving prices anywhere near that.

Just look at how long they are sitting on TM for-asking & getting prices are two different animals.

Having said that not much is selling atm which has little to do with the make or model

i would consider my schnitzer now very close to mint but it owes me $11k-would I get that for it-I hope you're right & I'm wrong :D

IMO that Alpina would have to be an easy 20grand. This is what I've offered the owner in the past.

Yep I agree but that is in the exceptional category.I think Grants off the mark with the 'ok' & 'very good' categories which is where most of the sales/buys are.

Shhh, no he's not. My E30 is worth 6-8k :lol:

Keep in mind there are 2 hugely different markets for E30s. There are people that view them as a viable alternative to another RWD car ie. Skyline, Cefiro etc. And then there is us, the enthusiasts that seem to scour trademe every 20 minutes looking for the next bargain E30. I know before I bought mine I was trying to track them down every day.

My view is OK E30s (reasonable cond, needing repairs on body or small leaks etc, ripped bits on interior) is $3500>$5000. Good E30s (well maintained, paint touched up or new paint job, good interior) is $5000>$7000. And then The exceptional E30s (Mint recaro leather, LSD, maybe some headers and a tune) are worth $7000+.

Mtechs are another market altogether.

I have customers with E30's that you wouldn't be able to buy for under $25,000

Although I'd let it go to a bimmersporter for a flat 20.

Any value difference between tech 1 and tech 2 ya rekon?

I paid 2grand for my very average condition 85 tech 1 323 manual coupe with 120 mile on the clock, 3 years ago.

Is it a genuine tech 1?, dunno, dont have the build sheet. But it does have Mtech sway bars and the kit AFAIK is factory. Got poverty pack interior however, getrag 260 box and no LSD.

Is it a tech 1, or simply a 323 with some option boxes ticked (odd stuff like heated squirters too), and whats the difference? Is there a magic option box that makes it an Mtech car, or is an Mtech car simple one with all the boxes ticked?

Personally I think the E30 prices are about right, there are some dreamers though. E36's are very cheap, but IMHO they dont have the same appeal as an E30, aint got no soul :P

Edited by Jacko

Yep I agree but that is in the exceptional category.I think Grants off the mark with the 'ok' & 'very good' categories which is where most of the sales/buys are.

It all depends on your view of 'OK' and 'very good'. In my eyes there would very few E30s in NZ that would even make my 'very good', and only a handful that are better than 'very good'.

My 'OK' would be most people's 'very good'.

I also disagree that most sales are in the 'OK' or 'very good'. I would say that 90% of the sales wouldn't meet my rating of 'OK'.

Edited by Grant