Sign in to follow this  
dubman

Who is the Stig?

This is getting so old.

I couldn't care less who he is, it's a shame people out there are so set to spoil things.

that message board section is almost impossible to read without highlighting the text

who ever thought that grey writing on a grey background would work?

anywho, keep the stig nameless, it adds a certain element to the show

It's one of the unsolved mysterys that should stay that...personally i don't care who it is, as it is more than likely one or some GP2/BTC drivers but do like the thought that at one time it was Damon Hill or Mansell or maybe it could be Schumacher.

^wont be schumacher as he is too involved if f1 to find the time atm, i think it may be damon hill. but i also think they shouldnt give it away.

^wont be schumacher as he is too involved if f1 to find the time atm, i think it may be damon hill. but i also think they shouldnt give it away.

I don't even think it will be an ex F1 driver but i guess that is the whole point...to make us think who could it be...like i said, I personally would rather not know and debate about 'who could it be' :lol:;)

Maybe.. although he bet all the f1 drivers around the track in the reasonably priced cars till just recently..

And he was pretty good at driving the renault f1 car.

But he is quite tall, possibly too tall to be an f1 driver.. what about an ex touring car driver?

Im the stig.

Its more fun not knowing who the Stig is....

A family friend went to the Top Gear test track and said that after seeing the Stig go around the Track in different cars he believed that the manufacturers take their own Test Drivers to the track because they want to get the best time e.g. A Ferrari goes around the track so they bring their own test driver because they don't want some random test driver going around and messing up their time

From what I understand there are multiple Stigs depending on what is required, however the mainly used driver is a guy called Ben Collins.

I hear Grant is the stig?

You've obviously never seen me drive!

I'm like a cross between Takuma Sato and Ray Charles

Except when I have my kids in the car, then I drive like your Grandma

Edited by Grant

Black Stig was Ben Collins until he ruined it in an interview, so TG canned him and chucked him off a aircraft carrier as a warning to future stigs.

White Stig could be anyone...they use multiple professional drivers.

So it's entirely possible Grant has been the stig at some point.

Speculation is half the fun.

Edited by M5V8

Black Stig was Ben Collins until he ruined it in an interview, so TG canned him and chucked him off a aircraft carrier as a warning to future stigs.

White Stig could be anyone...they use multiple professional drivers.

So it's entirely possible Grant has been the stig at some point.

Speculation is half the fun.

The Black Stig was Perry McCarthy. He got canned for revealing it in his autobiography

The Black Stig was Perry McCarthy. He got canned for revealing it in his autobiography

i thought that was Ben... i stand corrected.

I may be wrong in my recollection, but at the time that Hammond had his big accident in the jet car, official documents released surrounding the investigation listed Ben Collins as one of the witnesses. The documents described him as a BBC Top Gear High Performance Driver (or somesuch).

I also vaguely remember a picture snapped at the Top Gear track where they were doing some performance car testing/reviews and there were two guys in Stig suits driving the cars.

It is interesting though, none-the-less

Maybe.. although he bet all the f1 drivers around the track in the reasonably priced cars till just recently..

And he was pretty good at driving the renault f1 car.

But he is quite tall, possibly too tall to be an f1 driver.. what about an ex touring car driver?

Good point though i think knowing a track backwards would help the times.

I may be wrong in my recollection, but at the time that Hammond had his big accident in the jet car, official documents released surrounding the investigation listed Ben Collins as one of the witnesses. The documents described him as a BBC Top Gear High Performance Driver (or somesuch).

I think it was also revealed at last years Top Gear live Australia, that Ben collins was the only driver who was spotted with the TG crew...

The Wikipedia article for Collins suggests he too has been replaced as of last month.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Collins_(...ear_appearances

The Stig is dead, long live The Stig

Very interesting.

There we go, all you driving experts keep an eye on the situations vacant section at the BBC, they might have an open vacancy soon!

I see that it has been confirmed that Ben Collins is/was the Stig.

"...publishers HarperCollins said in a statement that a 33-year-old racing driver named Ben Collins "has a great story to tell about his seven years as The Stig, which will appeal to a wide audience beyond just motoring enthusiasts."

The book will be an interesting read, but we all knew he had been the stig at least for awhile. HarperCollins are f**kwits.

Bit of a shame that he's now been revealed. Shame on HarperCollins for wrecking it for millions of people!

Spoiler

Edited by 3 SERIES

I don't know why people are having a go at Harper Collins. They are in business to turn a profit, and not pander to pander to a few people and keep a badly kept secret a 'secret'

How many books do you think they would sell if some guy called Ben Collins wrote a book? My guess is stuff all.

How many books will they sell if you know the same guy is also the Stg? I'm guessing a shedload more.