Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Earthquake!

I'd start drinking mate. Get into it. You still have internet though even no power? T-Stick/Vodem on a craptop?

Smart phone maybe?

E: we are bored without power (xbox), so just invented a new drinking game

1.everytime there is an aftershock.... finish your vessel.

2. everytimme they mention "earthquake" or "7.1" on the news... finish your vessel.

should be interesting!

haha only in NZ could someone turn an earthquake into a drinking game :)

Felt it good here, woke me up.. Nothing amazing happened just my monitors shifted apart by 1cm, and my car alarm went "CHURRRP"

Haven't felt anything like that... Use to get small quakes all the time when we lived in Ashburton/Canterbury

Edited by antil33t

Yep, was bloody scary.. felt like I was surfing in my bedroom lol! Barely managed to get under a doorway. My biggest concern is CRZARB is sitting in a garage in the middle of town and I have NO idea what the state it's like inside. The outside of the building seems fine but I really really hope nothing fell on her :(

But yeh, most importantly no one was seriously injured and as mentioned it's a blessing that this did not hit in the afternoon as many would have been hurt.

Edited by crazyarab

E: we are bored without power (e.g xbox), so just invented a new drinking game

1.everytime there is an aftershock.... finish your vessel.

2. everytimme they mention "earthquake" or "7.1" on the news... finish your vessel.

should be interesting!

Brilliant, that's turning a negative into a positive!!! I didn't think much of the quake in Dunedin...was just a little wobble, much the same as we get in the islands regularly! very thankful all my friends and loved ones in Chch are safe and any serious injuries are few :D

Still shaking up here. I think car insurance doesn't cover the earthquake damage

Still shaking up here. I think car insurance doesn't cover the earthquake damage

They class it as "an act of god' or some BS like that.

It was on fair go when the wind tipped over a campervan.

harden up bitches

Ye would be wrong - your insurance premium includes EQC insurance. You'll be fine!

[earthquake pov story warning]

Best day ever. Went to sleep in a mild drunken haze on sammy's lounge floor, woke up to my girlfriend shaking the f**k out me. She stopped shaking and I was still getting absolutely thrown across the floor. The rumble was deafening, couldn't hear the numerous nice vases shattering all around us. A brilliant duo-commando roll to beside the coffee table was made, and rode it out. In 2 seconds going from full asleep to sheer emergency response mode was the most incredible feeling. We went for a drive while it was still dark around the central city. I tell you what, if this quake had happened at ANY other time, even 1 hour before 4.35am when the bars were still semi-full, there would have been massive loss of life. So many shops were just full of bricks from the multistory brick structures above them collapsing straight down. 80% of the older houses I saw have no chimney anymore, and a lot don't have entire walls. Saw 5 or 6 flattened cars, including that E46^. Went outside of town towards TaiTap and silt has just risen from cracks creating speedbump-like mounds, and the fields are rippled like a frozen choppy sea. Wish I had pictures, but didn't have the camera (of course)

Then went and did some dyers pass road runs on the bike at 70+kph, and now having a bonfire. As I said, best day ever.

I don't see what everyone is freaking out about. We never lost power, water or anything and with nothing to do, score ourselves some kfry and pizza and have been drinking all day.

I have to say I do feel priviledged to get away with things and do feel sorry for everyone who go caught up it the mess.

If anyone needs help or just a shower (ladies only) let me know :)

There is a potentially a silver lining to this disaster-the rebuild could well be enough to help kickstart our lazy economy.

As incary said, what an amazing feeling it was, was in bed at the time and the whole house was shaking so bad i couldnt stand up as i was upstairs too.. Next thing i know we are in the Rangi Sport driving around town and it was like a scene out of cloverfeild with all the city lights out and people running around.

Family in darfeild said the damage is amazing out there and i hear kiapoi is pretty bad too.

Thank god our workshop didnt fall over being tilt-slab!

:lol:

Mrs was saying the warehouse where all the Frucor stock is held is stuffed. Looks messy.

post-2549-1283907241.jpg

post-2549-1283907258.jpg

post-2549-1283907298.jpg

Edited by resident know it all

Yep, was bloody scary.. felt like I was surfing in my bedroom lol! Barely managed to get under a doorway. My biggest concern is CRZARB is sitting in a garage in the middle of town and I have NO idea what the state it's like inside. The outside of the building seems fine but I really really hope nothing fell on her :(

But yeh, most importantly no one was seriously injured and as mentioned it's a blessing that this did not hit in the afternoon as many would have been hurt.

have you been allowed to go check out your car yet?

I hope it's ok