Sign in to follow this  
BmwolfJR

7 Year E21 Build

Who makes the throttles/what are they from?

Was the intake section between the throttles and head designed to be replaceable for tuning the intake length?

That is one very good looking engine

Best thread EVAH!

I am very interested to hear how that front end works out for you. Are you still using the original sub-frame and steering rack but with modified hub-carriers and custom control arms? I'm curious also about steering weight with wider tyres fitted?

Who makes the throttles/what are they from?

Was the intake section between the throttles and head designed to be replaceable for tuning the intake length?

That is one very good looking engine

The intake manifolds are my own design and work. After much reading and research of how similar modifications were arrived at in the USA, the magic number is 12 inches from valve face to the end of the trumpets.

This will give good low down torque.

The throttle bodies were purchased from Etchells race parts in Tauranga.

W

Best thread EVAH!

I am very interested to hear how that front end works out for you. Are you still using the original sub-frame and steering rack but with modified hub-carriers and custom control arms? I'm curious also about steering weight with wider tyres fitted?

Yes we are using the original sub-frame and steering rack.

The original wheels were steel so the Mags we have weigh no more then them, also we do not have a power steer setup but steering is still very easy lock to lock.

W

Whoa this this is awesome!!

Amazing custom mods & fabriation skills there.

Id never be able to keep a project like that secret for 7 years. :ph34r:

hello im back

sorry we have been super busy

after the engine went in we added a custom gear leaver and short shifter

post-3151-1287440278.jpg

post-3151-1287440288.jpg

Wow.

Heavy Duty shifter!

f**k .. im very impressed with the custom work. Especailly interested in your long length shifter. Im running something similar however looks like you have got over the linkage ratio barrier with having a shifter up to the steering wheel ?

f**k .. im very impressed with the custom work. Especailly interested in your long length shifter. Im running something similar however looks like you have got over the linkage ratio barrier with having a shifter up to the steering wheel ?

I believe that the plan is that if you move your hand off the wheel you should be able to get to the shifter with out having to move your hand vertically. At the current length with addition of short shifter we get about the same ratio as standard but gain the length at the top.

Those mods are very cool indeed. I am liking the red B) Did you spend alot of time researching? or was it trial and error on the custom work?

A new wiring loom was imported form the USA so we did not have to deal with the old one

We also added a front/back brake bias lever

post-3151-1287560406.jpg

post-3151-1287560437.jpg

Edited by BmwolfJR

In with the radiator and away with the plumbing.

the e21 brake master cylinder was replaced with E32 750i one.

post-3151-1287561367.jpg

post-3151-1287561420.jpg

Those mods are very cool indeed. I am liking the red B) Did you spend alot of time researching? or was it trial and error on the custom work?

I am reliably informed that the powder coating will stand up to almost all heat the engine can produce except overheat so powder coating the block and sump red, was a great option for us.

I spent many hours researching E21 performance mods in the US, and that is where most of my ideas came from.

W

What ecu will you be using? alpha-N tune? opened eyes and found map sensor

Feel free to ignore question and surprise me later.

Edited by bbs

In with the radiator and away with the plumbing.

the e21 brake master cylinder was replaced with E32 750i one.

Around the expansion tank, have you thought of getting a polished tig welded alloy one made insteadt of the OEM brown plastic one ?

You could then mount it away from the motor.

What ecu will you be using? alpha-N tune? opened eyes and found map sensor

Feel free to ignore question and surprise me later.

We have a HAWK ecu which is adjustable down to 128 RPM increments with live feed to a vdu if we need it.

The down side is the Company, which is (was) in Aust. has gone belly up. Doesn't help the project much now.

W

Around the expansion tank, have you thought of getting a polished tig welded alloy one made insteadt of the OEM brown plastic one ?

You could then mount it away from the motor.

Good call, I have been told about an early BMC one (Austin 1100 I think) which is brass, will chrome up well. But I have yet to investigate full.

W

Nice! :) .. I used a e36 m3 one for mine. I found it had the added bonus of being translucent which was nice to visually quick check levels.

However for look good factor I think a nice polished one in that engine bay of yours is more appropreiate! :)

looking forward to the next update!