Sign in to follow this  
havak2tone

building drift car

hi guys just wanted to ask you guys about me car.its a 320i manual running getrag 240 and the thing is i got the car after it had a transplant.so unsure about kilometres on either of them

Im planning on using the car for a daily driver and drifting.The only thing is that im scared the motor might blow up on me or something.Ive only done little things like clutch replacement rust repair and simple stuff but i cant do a rebuild let alone have the tools for it.You guys think i should rebuild both gearbox and motor before drifting it?? if so does anyone here wana do it for me just pm me with your price please.....

Makes sense to rebuild an M20B25 if you're going to take the motor out.

Try drifting it first and see how it goes, would give you an idea of what needs to be upgraded.

Edited by B20

if you are serious about drifting then you may want to be considering a motor swap so something else, ie m5x or something jap. unless you plan on drifting on ice the m20b20 motor probably wont cut the mustard, to give you a rough idea though, i rebuilt my m20b25 for $3500 a few years back, and that was with me assembling and disassembling the motor, ive been quoted about $1200 for parts to recon a gearbox.

you will also need to look into getting some good suspension and an lsd and if youve got some change get the lsd rebuilt. approx $1200

Edited by -Oli-

It all depends on what you mean by drifting it really, are you talking about doing skids in a mate's paddock, taking it to the odd public track day where drifting is permitted, or entering competitions, even doing a full season of D1NZ?

As a minimum I would say you need to check everything is in tip-top condition before even the skids in the paddock, fresh new (quality brand) oil in the motor, gearbox and diff, cooling system working well, a decent tune-up on the engine, new air filter, plugs, etc.

Drifting is very hard on the cars, even before you start sliding off into things, so things are likely to break, even in a low state of tune E30, allow for that in your thinking.

It all depends on what you mean by drifting it really, are you talking about doing skids in a mate's paddock, taking it to the odd public track day where drifting is permitted, or entering competitions, even doing a full season of D1NZ?

If it is also his daily i'd imagine its just grassroots stuff.

If your comfortable with an engine swap then i'd say drive it till it dies, replace and repeat. Of course give it as much help as it can get with all maintanence up to date and a good cooling system.

You wont get far with an open diff and a welded diff isn't really daily driver friendly(some might argue this). Some nice shocks and springs, few bushes and some other bits that'll empty your wallet and you should have a reasonable e30

Just put a m20b25 in it. You can pick them up for like $700. If it blows up (probally wont), buy another one.

Lots of options if you want more power.

Could turbo your M20B20 for like $700.

Rubbish

i wont be drifting all the time just every now and then in a paddock or on the tracks.How easy would it be to put the m20b25 in it ......I think ill use it with the getrag 240 if it bolts straight in ??

i wont be drifting all the time just every now and then in a paddock or on the tracks.How easy would it be to put the m20b25 in it ......I think ill use it with the getrag 240 if it bolts straight in ??

All bolts straight in. You will have to mount up the oil cooler, but its piss easy.

Should replace the clutch and other bits while its apart aswell, but thats up to you.

It is the cheapest way to make a 320 faster.

Edited by polley

Thrash it till it dies then transplant something more powerful

If your cheap I wouldnt muck around with a bmw engine

just put an sr20 or rb in it

imo those nissan engines offer the most bang for buck

and theyre tough

in the mean time your going to want a

bigger radiator,

strip the interior,

lower it and use harder rear springs,

thicker rear sway bar

lsd or at least a locker

lots of tyres

Thats just a basic setup to induce oversteer

With harder rear suspension the car will

oversteer more so that will just help while you have low power

Stick to smaller rear wheels to aid loss of traction

and maybe a higher ratio diff to keep the revs high

okay then i shall thrash its pants off till it dies then transplant when its goners .I might just do a m20b25 straight swap for my first engine tranplant to keep it easy might rb it if i manage to get enough experiance with engine swap

All bolts straight in.

Depends what year it is, FL swap is easier than preFL. PreFL uses different engine management and has sensors in the gearbox, if you change the box then you need a new driveshaft too. Other bits and pieces different too that should be changed

Depends what year it is, FL swap is easier than preFL. PreFL uses different engine management and has sensors in the gearbox, if you change the box then you need a new driveshaft too. Other bits and pieces different too that should be changed

Doh. I was thinking all facelift stuff.

aw f@*k it my one is a prefacelift....How difficult is it to do those little changes,I think im just gonna get another car like a nissan for this. it looks like its only gonna get more complicated and fiddly.

but thanks for all the advice cuzzies

Yip do not bother with a BMW drift car unless you have lots of money or wish to transplant in a better or Jap motor. Your only cheap option for diffs is to weld up an open diff as the LSD's are very expensive. They are also snappy little cars when biffing them around.

As you said. Get yourself a lazy old Nissan. Cefiro, Laurel. Though about 10X the price they were 10 years ago they are plentiful and easy to drive.