Sign in to follow this  
waxer

chip

I am thinking of getting a new chip for my 325i to sparkle things up a bit. Any advise/pros/cons/previous experience/performance pluses. Muchly.

a lot of chips dont do a lot except raise the red line (mines at 6800, but i get the feeling that without the chip, car would feel the same)

your best bet would be to get something (not sure what, as i been looking at same) that is tuneable on a dyno. Link seems to be the cheapest around (there are a couple of others but apparently crap)

would allow you to advance timing, change redline, change to MAP sensor or similar.....should give a decent gain depending on your other mods

I had a chip programmed for my 2.8 rebuild. Done in CHC - Graeme Clyde of GAC will know who/how, etc. I think c.$1,000 it cost. Never drove the car, so can't comment on performance - but know the car went like a cut cat.

the revlimit is changed by the dissy rotor i think, they have a spring inside that once spings at a certin rpm stops the igntion, so by changing to a rotor with a diff strenght spring inside will change where ur revlimit is at

Guest Andrew

the revlimit is changed by the dissy rotor i think, they have a spring inside that once spings at a certin rpm stops the igntion, so by changing to a rotor with a diff strenght spring inside will change where ur revlimit is at

only on L-Jet - motronic has ECU controlled rev limit

A remappable chip is the way to go - tangible gains are apparently possible (from the mouths of those who have had it done). I haven't done mine, so what I say is just what I've heard.

I have heard of a couple of good brands to look for, but they escape me for the moment. If I remember I will post back.

But I have heard of a well tuned (chipwise) M325i with custom exhaust and pod filter making 192hp, which is comparable to the first of the catalysed M3's with the previous uncatalysed one making 200hp I think, and the newer catalysed 215.

So with no other serious mods other than exhaust and chip it seems big gains can be made.

The M325 I was referring to was in an issue of total BMW and the guy had also beefed up brakes, dropped the car 60mm and thrown in a hartge strut brace, but as far as engine mods, that was it. It was in europe somewhere so they called it a 325i Sport, but I am led to believe this is essentially a M325i by a different name.

Conforti chip ring any bells?

yuh, jim conforti, sparkle reckons they have the most gains on an m30(20hp apparently), so i'd imagine they'd be one of the better on a 325 as well

apparently E.A.T chips work wonders for m30,s,try him he does other computer work so is sometimes a bit slow to respond.You will need to give him the dme no....

note that the yanks have a different system for their octane ratings,also would probably pay to tell him that its an non us car etc etc.....

Edited by kiwi535

as for that bmw article with the guy with a chip and exhaust making 192hp....i call bullshit

if that was the case then how come people bother with 2.7's that make 192hp? i just find that REALLY really hard to believe...esp seeing as that car hasnt been dynoed and the 192 is a figure he pulled out his ass

and whats makes that car an ACS?!?! the badge and exhaust?

if that was the case then how come people bother with 2.7's that make 192hp?

more torque? plus you could chip your 2.7

i reckon a sh*t generic chip, wouldnt do much, but a genuine quality one would have game.

You're all wasting your money. As someone posted here some time ago, just get the one for $69.95 from Trademe - plus it is variable!! :P

Maybe you buy 4 of these and get over a 100bhp increase ....

Conforti claims +15hp and +15lb.ft torque on a 325i. I've been contemplating getting one or two, but have no idea on which set up (ECU) I have on the two different cars.

Conforti claims +15hp and +15lb.ft torque on a 325i. I've been contemplating getting one or two, but have no idea on which set up (ECU) I have on the two different cars.

Are the conforti chips really going to work with our NZ fuel? You'd be taking a big risk spending money on a chip designed for the US or European markets without discussing the fueling issues first.

Think they said 91 octane or better fuel, so should be OK, I'm still dubious about the claims, given that there is no other work undertaken.

Guest Andrew

Think they said 91 octane or better fuel, so should be OK, I'm still dubious about the claims, given that there is no other work undertaken.

thats AKI fuel -

so you'd need to run 98 RON fuel to get a similar level of octane.