Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Any opinions on which bank to open a new account with?

Hi guys

I have a bank account with the ASB which my parents sort but I want to open another account for my personal use for my pay etc. to be paid into.

I'd like a bank which has:

-Fair interest rates

-Usability and customer service

-Affordable to have an account with

And such. Probably just going to go with ASB again but if anyone has any suggestions or opinions they're appreciated.

Cheers

I changed from ANZ to ASB last year and haven't looked back. The interest rates were better with ASb, customer service was HEAPS better, they are open in the malls in Wellington which means late nights and weekends and their fees were less.

I bank with National Bank and ASB, have mortgages with both. I use National as my everday bank and ASB as my family trust bank. I find national and westpac and BNZ big boys banks they like business's farmers etc, and don't have the personal banker interest, or they keep changing eventually sending you to the call centre.

ASB seem to be more personable and contactable.. it seems

go with ASB, had a headstart account, then switched to tertiary account. Tertiary accounts credit card and debit card options are really good as well. Kiwisaver might be something you're keen on when you have a chat with them.

Yeah I had a browse around the mainstream banks and ASB seems the most user friendly; That and Kiwibank.

Going to go to both tomorrow since they're next to each other up at Eastridge.

go with ASB, had a headstart account, then switched to tertiary account. Tertiary accounts credit card and debit card options are really good as well. Kiwisaver might be something you're keen on when you have a chat with them.

This.

I wouldn't recommend national bank, I didn't use them for long but I disliked their internet banking and pushy staff who want to sign you up to everything so that you have to pay more fees!

Westpac is OK but once again their internet banking is not so flash. Me and the Missus have our joint account/flat account with them.

ASB is my favourite, I have had an account with them since I was a kid, still got two with them now. Nice internet banking, competitive interest rates, and good customer service. Twice I haven't agreed with fees they have charged me and both times they understood my argument and refunded them.

Can't comment on Kiwibank though.

What ever you do, get a visa debit. Their great, I've cancelled my credit card and just use the debit now when I travel/buy online.

I've been with ASB since age 5, no problems.

And more recently set up a savings account with Kiwibank

Mortgage with ASB

Business banking with ANZ

Savings with Kiwibank

Used to be National Bank as well

National Bank - too much sales pitch, internet banking a bit useless but that's 6 years ago. Not sure how much has changed since.

Other banks all good, no complains. Kiwibank fees and interest rate seems cheaper and you can do banking at any post office and those little book stores with PostShop in it.

ANZ, National and ASB all have branch in shopping malls these days that open 7 days (for Auckland, Albany Westfield and Silvia Park). Limited staffing means somethings will take ages to wait or not able to do at all (like some complicated loan, mortgage, some insurance and investment products)

I don't like with ASB that each EFTPOS card can only have 1 account. If you have 2-3 accounts, you'll have 2-3 cards. With ANZ, I have 4 accounts on my card. (3 accessible on EFTPOS, 4th one ATM only)

Online banking - Used all, I like bits of each bank. ASB to ASB transfer are cleared instantly (even to different person), Kiwibank have extra security and dedicated mobile internet banking site. ANZ is in the progress to make some changes, but at the moment works a bit funny with iPhone/iPad browser.

My experience, hope these help.

I'm with National Bank.

Had a couple of hiccups with fees, but I'm on good terms with my bank manager so they were reversed.

Overall I'm very happy, they give you a call every now and then and ask how your banking is going etc.

currently with National and they never try to sell me anything

no fees and no eftpos fees either, but that seems to be standard now

used to be with BNZ and left because they were constantly trying to sell me everything they could

I'm with westpac.

the only time they've pissed me off, is when I was flatting, and using them to pay the landlord (4 of us put money into my 2nd acc, and it automatically paid)

one guy liked to be slack, and not pay on time, AP fails. 75 dollars late fee.....

National Bank..

Iphone app is real good, can do all my banking from it, transfers, one off payments etc etc

I really like the fact your account is managed by one person rather than everyone, so whenever i need something i.e visa, travel insurance, loan etc, i only need to talk to him and he has all my details so things only take a matter of minutes.. managed to get an overdraft while in oz and was done straight away over the phone.

It helps if they are a good c#nt too, he was and ive been getting hooked up since i joined..

And now its even better as my account manager is now the manager of my bank.

Has sorted me a pre approved mortgage of 350,000 if i want it with no deposit..

To be honest if you get a good rapport with someone it doesnt really matter what bank you go with..

Heres my lowdown.

Kiwibank.. Cheap rates etc, but very impersonal plus you have to go to the post office which is always busy and have to line up, the ATM's are crappy and most are loud and make noises when you push buttons..

its almost saying "come mug me in getting money out!"

Phone banking was crap

Asb.. trying too hard, and i hate their deposit slips and funky systems, and the receipts are that heat printed eftpos type paper, thank god those goldstein ads have finished. Have heard they are good for trusts etc.

Not a fan of their phone banking.

Anz.. ok, similar to National but dont have that personal touch, was with them from when i was 12 until 18..

Good phone banking..

Some of those smaller "Banks" such as TSB and SBS etc are supposed to be good too..

Edited by shaneg

Mom put me with Kiwibank when i was little. i decided to make the switch at 15 because i hated thier lack of service, treating me like the kid i was, and the lack of qualified bank tellers you went through to get your money out (using postshop staff did not appear.

Moved to ASB because of better rates and all that, as well as the opposite of Kiwibanks downfalls to me. Love thier online banking, staff a very friendly at the multiple different branches ive been to etc

Our flat is with Westpac. Im responsible for it and would have gone with ASB again except they dont have a branch in the suburb i live in. Have found staff to be less than helpfull though and not knowing thier stuff about what they are doing, particularly the more detailed/fine print stuff to do with thier products, but thier online banking is as good as any.

Seems like a bit of a theme here huh!?

I'm with westpac.

the only time they've pissed me off, is when I was flatting, and using them to pay the landlord (4 of us put money into my 2nd acc, and it automatically paid)

one guy liked to be slack, and not pay on time, AP fails. 75 dollars late fee.....

You should see if you can get an overdraft, should be sweet as you are a student..

just have it at whatever the douchebags rent is, rent will go out and it wont be your banking history thatll be getting screwed plus that way youll save the o/d fees..

Hope the power isnt in your name too?

I be liking the kiwibank a lot, their internet banking setup is very good, low fees, branches are everywhere and are open more hours than other banks. Ive never had anything but good experience with them, the rest of the big *cough*aussie*cough* banks feel kinda clinical too me, and kiwibank is refreshing by not being that way.

Kiwi Banks internet banking is very good, theres alot of branches, low rates and fees.

but i tried to apply for a credit card with them and they sent me an email saying they cant accept my application :( i was pissed off. and they asked me to do a survey? basterds

I work full time earn $600 a week and they didnt let me get a Low Rate Master Card? Pathetic!

but its still a good bank for savings! ++ intrests

Edited by NZ-BMW 325i

I thought about trying kiwibank before I signed up to ASB. I went to go talk to them and had to line up for ages with people buying post bags, paying car regos etc that I ended up walking out.

After 3 years on a student account, westpac assumed my partner was no longer a student so they changed her account to one with fees for every EFTPOS transaction without telling her they were going to do it. She kept on using her card for everything, racking up heaps in fees (including interest on her free overdraft). She was still a student as she is doing post-grad work and when she went to tell them they put her back on a student account but wouldn't refund the fees. She left them pretty wuick after for ASB

Kiwi Banks internet banking is very good, theres alot of branches, low rates and fees.

but i tried to apply for a credit card with them and they sent me an email saying they cant accept my application :( i was pissed off. and they asked me to do a survey? basterds

I work full time earn $600 a week and they didnt let me get a Low Rate Master Card? Pathetic!

but its still a good bank for savings! ++ intrests

When applying for credit cards etc, they will decline you if youve been at a certain address for less than 6 months..

I really dont see why its relevant? i was turned down once and was informed it was this reason..

So I always use my parents address for things like that, 20 years at the same address looks good i suppose, despite it looks like i still live at home, i actually moved out 11 years ago..

I"m with Westpac and it's fantastic.

Their online banking is much much better than ASB (my gf is with them) - i've got no account fee's for my daily account. Service is a branch by branch / person by person thing.

National bank seems good with the iPhone app. for banking and transactions. I'll pop into there too and see what they have to say.

If an I-Phone app is what would draw you to a bank I can’t see it mattering what bank you go with.

Well usability contributes and seeing as that's something I'd always have on me then why not go and look at their other fees and rates to see how they compete with other options?

You should see if you can get an overdraft, should be sweet as you are a student..

just have it at whatever the douchebags rent is, rent will go out and it wont be your banking history thatll be getting screwed plus that way youll save the o/d fees..

Hope the power isnt in your name too?

If you have an extra account set up as a flat account, you can't have overdraft. This was the case with our flat, where I manage the finances.

One day a flatmate's AP didn't go through, so we were short for our rent hence the payment didn't go through. Because I was on a good rapport with my bank manager, she called me up in the morning to let me know she let the account go into temporary overdraft just so we didn't skip on rent.