Sign in to follow this  
APT

Insurance - 20 year old

So finally got my e30 road worthy again but i have no insurance can anyone recommend any insurance companies that would take me on board? I know there is NAC - but heard they charge an arm&leg :S

Ive listed my specs below for comparison of your car and insurance companies you've used. BTW im 20 with no crash history or any speeding tickets/fines in the past, also have had my full license for over 3 years now.

Specs:

M20 2.7 stroker

Headers/exhaust system

Adjustable Suspension

Hartge Wheels

Tech 2 kit etc etc etc.

Secondly what price range would you recommend insuring my car for ? Cheers Guys/Gals

Edited by APT

Try AMI. they're a bit wankery when it comes to bigger engines though. - see, really unreasonable.

otherwise CLIC? bit like NAC though.

No car is only used in the weekends, not even every weekend

I'm 18, full license. Insured on 530i, Merc and Porsche through a Lumley commercial policy as an unnamed driver. In the policy you're allowed to drive the cars privately and the prices are fair. For 3 drivers of the cars with an excess of 1K it's about 4k per year... boosted up a bit because of the unnamed U25s on it so could potentially be a lot lower with you.

Edited by Tristan

How does it look any different than any other M20 and how will an insurance assessor know any different??

Its on the cert plate, Just tried online quotes for NAC and classic car.. So will wait and see

m20 2.7 were stock weren't they :P

Be polite and act mature when you ring them up. Got quoted 1.2k anually full cover for an ITR dc2 with AMI. They are reasonable from what i've experienced.

Don't bother with Clic. When I tried them they said any under 25s won't be insured over 1.8 litres. And I'm fairly sure they're a subsidiary of Tower so I'm assuming the same deal there.

you'll find that classic covers straight up policy is no under 25's, although there are ways around this if you know someone with an existing policy that is also under 25.

While in e30 ownership starting at 17, i've been with AMI, State and NAC.

Firstly AMI for one year, with excess ~1250 iirc. However at the end of the year the premiums went up about 30% so moved to State. Was there for two years. In that time had 2x claims. Were great both times. Excess was $1000. However again, at the end of the second year premiums went up 25% so moved to NAC, who insure me for ~$9k, 21y, full for the same as I was at State ~960pa. However this was all for a daily. If you do sub 5000km a year, go for a 'classic' type cover as i've heard they're a lot cheaper.

$960 may seem like a lot, but it was the cheapest of the insurance companies who would insure me and cheaper that not having insurance

NAC does $8000 cover for my racecar for $800 so I wouldn't say they are that pricey. That seems pretty standard for an U21 for an $8000. car

What would I be looking at no crash or speed history. But I was to use my E30 Series car as a daily driver too....

Give State a call, they don't care so much about CC as long as it has no turbo :)

I was insured (still am) with Clic when i had my little e30 wich was a 320i. They are the only company that would insure me.

Try a broker

Don't bother with Clic. When I tried them they said any under 25s won't be insured over 1.8 litres. And I'm fairly sure they're a subsidiary of Tower so I'm assuming the same deal there.

I got a 2.6 insured with them sweet as? they're actually a subsidiary of AMI.

Got a quote from NAC $1300 annualy, full cover insured sum of $10000. Opinions ?

I don't even have insurance for my E30 :( better get it done asap when i get back. have you tried State? but i think they're fussy about Mods on cars..

I got a 2.6 insured with them sweet as? they're actually a subsidiary of AMI.

When I rang, the woman wouldn't have a bar of it. And woops, knew it was a subsidiary of something.

NAC pays out Market value only but i have estimated my car to be $10000 for mods and a bit of sentimental value.- obviously not sale price.

Is it still worth it putting 10K as the estimated value then ? or should i just bump it down to a price someone would realistically purchase it for ? if they are not going to pay me out what i would like for it.

Put 10K as your initial value and then get the quote for that and if it seems bit hefty then value the car at a lower price and see if that makes the premium more appealing.

My initial quote was at 10K. Dont know if it seems logical paying that much for something i dont even drive once a week at times.