Sign in to follow this  
twisted

price?

Just a idle thought really, but how much would one expect to pay for a tidy f/l E39 540i 6 speed manual these days?

Any ideas on what the NZ market would be for these cars?

I'd say a budget of 25-30K if buying from a dealer with sub-100kms. Possibly more.

I'd say a budget of 25-30K if buying from a dealer with sub-100kms. Possibly more.

Id love to know where you got those figures from. Edited by martyyyn

^Agreed.

They very rarely come up for sale. I am not even sure if they were an NZ New option most of them were UK imports I believe.

Be better off saving some more and going the extra mile and buying an M5 IMO.

Edited by AJ_D

There was the purple SA import that sat on a yard for ages with around 220kms on the clock, the asking price was $11,995. Kiwi535 looked at one down south with around 190kms on the clock, but I think NZ new, that was about $13k from memory.

There was the purple SA import that sat on a yard for ages with around 220kms on the clock, the asking price was $11,995. Kiwi535 looked at one down south with around 190kms on the clock, but I think NZ new, that was about $13k from memory.

IIRC, both of those were quite rough hence why they seemed cheap to buy.

Exactly,

Ive seen several change hands for $15k and under. Suggesting 25k-30k is laughable, for that money you would be looking at M5's.

Id love to know where you got those figures from.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-296421376.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-316722137.htm

More for M-Sport, condition, extras, NZ New/Import etc.

I'd say those figures are fine.

Edit:

M5s with >100kms cheapest is 35K

Another M5 with 115K kms AUD45K

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2000-BMW-M5-5yr-Unl...#ht_2383wt_1141

Edited by Tristan

Both of those cars are massively over-priced.

Id actually say those figures are about right, given the kms and the year and spec of both cars. Give or take a few thousand dollars but near enough to the right price.

Agreed! Not to mention auto/tiptronic.

OP was talking 6 speed manual.

Agreed! Not to mention auto/tiptronic.

OP was talking 6 speed manual.

Which would probably cost more.. ?

Good luck finding a 6 speed 540.

There is absolutely no point comparing prices of autos against a six speed.

Tristan-you have no idea-Martynn is dead right imo

As always yr/ks/cond will determine price but $20+ I dont think so

Then show me where you are getting your prices from. If you're looking for 540s in Auckland from a dealer you'll be paying more than $20K for something with under 100kms and in good nick.

20k for a NZ new facelift 540i M-Sport. 20-25k for a Manual. I personally think that’s fair.

I would hold out for a mean deal n a M5, a Manual 540i is still only a mobile home with a shift stick.

So much better to buy off a private sale than a dealer, they always try and rip you off, one dealer tried to charge me $6,995 for a 1989 318i auto that had just hit 100ks , bought one with similar k's for 2k off a private user on tmrademe.

I'd say dealers may WELL ask over- inflated prices for a 6 speed e39, but I dunno, maybe they are worth 16k ish?

'Worth' is a subjective term anyhow, so no one here is right or wrong. They are a car which is still depreciating.

They tend to be kitted up in 'S5' guise, or the ones you see in auck do.

I'd say dealers may WELL ask over- inflated prices for a 6 speed e39, but I dunno, maybe they are worth 16k ish?

'Worth' is a subjective term anyhow, so no one here is right or wrong. They are a car which is still depreciating.

They tend to be kitted up in 'S5' guise, or the ones you see in auck do.

+1

I think they are a great car, but unless you get the right colour/option combo then to me they are a sub $20,000 car even in manual.

Also after driving a few I was quite happy with them as an auto - just seemed to me that they were that type of car, Good open road cruiser thats nice to ride in and has plenty of go. Didn't really think they would be leaps and bounds better with a 6 speed manual over the auto. That said I've never driven a 6 speed E39, But im sure plenty round here haven't either.

My 0.02cents

+1

I think they are a great car, but unless you get the right colour/option combo then to me they are a sub $20,000 car even in manual.

Also after driving a few I was quite happy with them as an auto - just seemed to me that they were that type of car, Good open road cruiser thats nice to ride in and has plenty of go. Didn't really think they would be leaps and bounds better with a 6 speed manual over the auto. That said I've never driven a 6 speed E39, But im sure plenty round here haven't either.

My 0.02cents

A motorsport 6 speed manual is a completely different car than a std auto.I would pay much much more for a manual.I dont even look at autos

i would pay those prices for those cars in manual if motorports

Edited by kiwi535

Which would probably cost more.. ?

Good luck finding a 6 speed 540.

Theres absolutely no point in comparing Auto 540s and 6 speed 540s.

Its apples and oranges when talking about prices. Tristan, I also suggest you sit back, listen and watch to what the older members are saying they clearly have been around here longer. Theres no point in arguing with them.

I would hold out for a mean deal n a M5, a Manual 540i is still only a mobile home with a shift stick.

+1

only problem with M5 is fixing and maintaining the thing, and is it really a worthwhile difference for 95% of the driving that most of us do?

I would love an E39 M5 but just trying to be realistic with how much more you get for your money over a 540i,

that said its probably easier to find an M5 than a 540i/6 with the options you want

It’s a lot more car and yes its fully justified, if you actually like driving the difference is chalk and cheese.

The E39 M5 isn’t that bad in terms of maintenance compared to a similar aged 540i and is relatively cheap compared to newer M5’s.

There is no reason a mint, NZ new facelift 6-Speed 540i wouldn’t sell for mid to late twenties, just as there is no reason a E34 540is wouldn’t sell for late teens low twenties, if something is rare and sort after it will fetch the money.

Tristan, I also suggest you sit back, listen and watch to what the older members are saying they clearly have been around here longer. Theres no point in arguing with them.

There are older people arguing both ways. No matter what, as somebody else already pointed out what it's worth is subjective.