Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Some People do not understand 'NO'

Is it just me, or do other on here who deal with the public find that people ( and I've noticed it is often as Paul Henry would put it " Non NZers ) do not seem to understand NO !!

At this time of the year I am VERY busy - worked till 10pm last night, back at 6am this morning ....

But I am getting phone calls wanting work done Urgently, to which at the moment I have to say "NO " but they just keep pushng !!!! :angry:

Take the tourist who rung me early this week, and I told him I could NOT repair his camera and he should just buy a cheap one to finish his trip, and low and behold, 12 hours later he knocks on my door after driving thru the night !!!

Tell me it is not just me ???

Been at this for 22 yrs, always had a bit of this, but this year is reallllly bad :unsure: :unsure:

Well mate it looks like you have alot more patience than I would. I could just not work with the public, within the first 15mins somebody would be getting a punch on the nose lol.

Its probably a bad time to tell you that I have a 70-200 2.8 Sigma made lens who's manual focus has just died then. :lol:

Its probably a bad time to tell you that I have a 70-200 2.8 Sigma made lens who's manual focus has just died then. :lol:

As long as it is not Urgent !!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

omg yep I get the same thing, except it's internal consultants that have promised things to clients, haven't told us and then demand that we do a week's worth of work in a couple of hours

apparently "it's actually not physically possible to do this in such a time frame" isn't good enough for them

Don't work in IT around Christmas time, especially in those times coming right up to the 24th when parents are stressed and want work done NOW because their precious children aren't behaving and throwing electronic toys and the internet at them is the only way to make them happy and quiet.

or that business thats decides this is the best time for an office move, and the new server / complete office overhall didn't need any prior thinking and the IT company will be able to sort that with less than a weeks notice...

Work in the in enterprise LAN/WAN infrastructure game is crazy too, everyone wants things done on their projects before the holiday 'change freezes'.

Most businesses are the same. My dad's electrical and whiteware service company is always flat out because people want the dishwasher that's been on the blink for 4 months fixed before they go away for holiday. How mad is that?

My game is the same. I work in a Engineering, Surveying, and Planning consultancy, and everyone needs their consent applications and plans into Council before the end of the year so they can get their consent first thing next year and still have some good weather to do the build/earthworks, or whatever.

It's not called the silly season for nothing.

Most businesses are the same. My dad's electrical and whiteware service company is always flat out because people want the dishwasher that's been on the blink for 4 months fixed before they go away for holiday. How mad is that?

My game is the same. I work in a Engineering, Surveying, and Planning consultancy, and everyone needs their consent applications and plans into Council before the end of the year so they can get their consent first thing next year and still have some good weather to do the build/earthworks, or whatever.

It's not called the silly season for nothing.

Which comapny do you work for...? Im a planner at a consultancy in the big smoke! :)

Guest Si Vis Pacem

too soon?

I thought "ouch" too however, Westy - are you just pointing out that there's always someone worse off than you?

I thought "ouch" too however, Westy - are you just pointing out that there's always someone worse off than you?

Yup.

It's easy to piss and moan (I do it too) but there is always someone having a worse time than you.

Edited by westy

Try working with international customers that don't actually celebrate Christmas....

.. I find resorting to extreme sarcasm at their expense (which they don't understand) is the only way to keep my sanity.

"Of course you can have it delivered then, I'll get the fat bloke in the red suit to put in his sack and drop it off on his way past" :D

Yup.

It's easy to piss and moan (I do it too) but there is always someone having a worse time than you.

I think you missed my point Westy :P

I was not pissing and moaning about the work, rather asking if anybody else had noticed the cutural difference in that tourists and immigrants seem to have a common foible that they do not take NO for an answer and keep pushing until I give in :rolleyes:

Busy as here and its bloody great, take it while you can get it even if you have to work 20 hours a day till christmas.

Can't be to busy, found time to post on here :P

Sounds like time to increase your charge out rates.

I deal with Mechanics all day. Who want everything for nothing. Especially in the areas I am in. I deal with these "Non NZers" all day every day. Most are great though. But there is many who are such hard work.

I'm doind a huge contract job for housing NZ.

44 refurb houses to be done before xmas.

gah same in a supermarket, nothing really to add to the above, except that right now i LOVE being on wages rather than on salary :D "yup sure ill stay over time and end up taking more home than my manager each week :P"

I'm pretty sure the C in Christmas standards for Chaotic... because work at the moment is absolutely crazy. We've reached the point where we're unable to take on any further jobs for delivery pre-xmas and its only the start of the month. Although we've been hit pretty hard by a delayed recession so its good to see things picking up.

Is it just me, or do other on here who deal with the public find that people ( and I've noticed it is often as Paul Henry would put it " Non NZers ) do not seem to understand NO !!

At this time of the year I am VERY busy - worked till 10pm last night, back at 6am this morning ....

But I am getting phone calls wanting work done Urgently, to which at the moment I have to say "NO " but they just keep pushng !!!! :angry:

Take the tourist who rung me early this week, and I told him I could NOT repair his camera and he should just buy a cheap one to finish his trip, and low and behold, 12 hours later he knocks on my door after driving thru the night !!!

Tell me it is not just me ???

Been at this for 22 yrs, always had a bit of this, but this year is reallllly bad :unsure: :unsure:

Maybe there's been a language difficulty or a misunderstanding, but I would be charging this guy a shedload... kinda immoral I know, but he really needs it (high demand) and you're pushed for time (low supply), gotta make your time worth more... just my 2c

Maybe there's been a language difficulty or a misunderstanding, but I would be charging this guy a shedload... kinda immoral I know, but he really needs it (high demand) and you're pushed for time (low supply), gotta make your time worth more... just my 2c

Just like the petrol pricies....

high demand in in the Northern hemsphir means we pay more here !

higher pricies on milk fats means more money for the farmers

Supply and demand.....