Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

What goes wrong with E39s?

A friend of mine has expressed interest in acquiring a 540i, though to help him find one, are there any key specific trouble spots to look for on the E39s, particularly the 540i with Vanos? Probably looking at the 1997-2000 models.

Cheers in advance.

Edited by E36V8

The cooling systems on e39's is a bit short life. The averange one only lasting around 120ks before it needs replacing.

Plastic pipes, thermostats, aux water pumps, main water pumps, expansion tank.

Also another issue is the Automatic trans 'heat exchnager' which causes your gearbox fluid to fluctuate to higher than normal operating tempratures in stop start traffic. Thus sending the EGS (gear box computer) to eventually try cool the fluid down by holding RPM until you get air flow over the radiator (which is what the heat exchanger is coupled too.) This gearbox mode also removes manual control until it cools down and jumps out of that mode.

Another great BMW problem which doesnt show up as an error code in any shape or form.

Again, thrust arm bushes causing clunks see Allans post here with real oem links

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....mp;#entry377151

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=...hg=31&fg=05

Interior console buttons always split / break.

Try for an NZ one as they have fold down rear seats which is hella handy.

Sunroofs are nice! :)

"Yeah right" just the usual blown out of proportion claims of problems.

The cooling systems are fine and if you service the gearbox it will be too unless it is one of those horrible GM or Jatco things in which case "you get what you pay for"

Pick the right car - check the build and make sure its not a thrashed hack and they are fine.

So .... in the mean time you are saying you shouldnt replace the water pump, thermostat, front thermostat to radiator plastic pipe, rear plastic heater pipe, bottom end tank pipes, expansion tank or expansion tank pressure cap?

Im not talking about the radiator.

I've had all these problems and I drive a 128k NZ New 540 with full documentented BMW dealership service history with a trail of cooling system replacement parts through it and its had its normal cooling services from new. It certainly wasn't 'thrashed' or owned by someone who left it for long periods of time between serviceing.

fact is and if you look around on the net to back it up and its one of the most talked about topics around as far as e39's go. ... the e39 has an average cooling system design as does the e46. Because its mostly made from plastic and it will end of life faster than a 'normal' vehicle.

So .... in the mean time you are saying you shouldnt replace the water pump, thermostat, front thermostat to radiator plastic pipe, rear plastic heater pipe, bottom end tank pipes, expansion tank or expansion tank pressure cap?

Im not talking about the radiator.

I've had all these problems and I drive a 128k NZ New 540 with full documentented BMW dealership service history with a trail of cooling system replacement parts through it and its had its normal cooling services from new. It certainly wasn't 'thrashed' or owned by someone who left it for long periods of time between serviceing.

fact is and if you look around on the net to back it up and its one of the most talked about topics around as far as e39's go. ... the e39 has an average cooling system design as does the e46. Because its mostly made from plastic and it will end of life faster than a 'normal' vehicle.

i think the 540 seems to be more prone to these sort of issues too if the interweb is to be beleived

youre probably right, right up the ally of what this guys looking at ..

oh dear ... have another read fella.

poster is asking about a e39 540i ....

Whats does a random bunch of other cars from the 70's and 80's have to do with an e39 540 ?and why do you keep bring the discussion back to radiators? .. a radiator is one part of many of a cooling system which is what I'm talking about fails on a e39 after a relatively small amount of time .. therefor it falls into the catagory of a thing that goes wrong with these vehicles ... im not too sure how much more in context one could get ?

Anyways ill leave you to complicate I mean contenplait the universe

oh dear ... have another read fella.

poster is asking about a e39 540i ....

If someone asks what to look for in specific model then your supposed to give honest answers to help,I was told to look for the same things when I purchased mine and to stay away from the four

Cylinder for a whole list of sound reasons,

No one is saying they all fall apart or are rubbish just be aware of potential faults,

Give the poor guy a break

No car is perfect

What a painful thread to read.

Quite.

Every BMW we've owned, all with good service histories, have needed cooling system repairs.

Radiators leaking, water pump failures, hoses degrading, noisy bearings etc.

All on cars with less than 150000kms.

A pattern maybe?

Where would you like me to start. The e39 range 2001 2003 and possibly earlier models use a lot of plastic components most of this I'm told is recycled stuff, Greenies for you. These have a shortened life plus the fact they are being heated and cooled does not help. If used in the cooling system which is the same for all E39 models I believe. They can split expansion tanks, water pump impellors have been known to fail, thermostat housing split

The 540 model has a different steering system to the other e39 models and have been told is not as responsive

The 540 is some 80kgs heavier in the front due to the v8 engine it has not sure if this effects its handling / balance

They do have a fair bit of boot if you stick it to it but the e39 is not a light vehicle so it needs that extra grunt

Final stage heater resistor block

Oil filter housing gaskets/block attachment

Serpintine belt tensioner, spring type failure need to have up dated to hydraulic

Front seats these carry the adjustment controls in plastic housing. The seat over time flattens and as you get in and out pressure is applied to theses parts and they brake the securing lugs off.

Pixels disappearing instrument cluster and other units

Their is more but cannot think of it a present. Cheers

Hmm so really it's just the cooling systems that are the main thing to take a note of.

I guess if you're determined enough you could replace most if not all the plastic parts with alloy/brass ones, I've seen high performance metal water pumps around for M52s so would imagine you could get them for the M62.

Depends how extreme you want to go I guess.

Edited by E36V8

Keeping it simple

NZ New

Full Service history

and get a pre-purchase inspection done,anything wrong should be found then)