Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

water damaged cars Brisbane

Not meaning to sound cruel bit do you think theres going to be some bmws scrapped for parts across the ditch. Might be a good opportunity for someone with contacts to start importing some spares. The mess just doesnt bare thinking about really. Once the houses are livable basically every electrical appliance is going to have to be replaced. Imagine the profits Noel leemings are going to make and I bet there will be fights over shortages.Everyones going to want a new lcd plasma within days of moving back in and a car. Give me an earthquake any time,

poor poor bastards

Why would anyone want to buy water damaged parts?

Remember that these cars have been submerged in a soup of dirty water, sewage, household and industrial rubbish etc.

Would anyone want to do anything with them except crush them.

Lol. You call that, a wrecker calls it high performance coating.

Why would anyone want to buy water damaged parts?

Remember that these cars have been submerged in a soup of dirty water, sewage, household and industrial rubbish etc.

Would anyone want to do anything with them except crush them.

suspension,body parts,windows,wheels,axles,badges,bumpers,engine parts like manifolds,diffs even theres going to be a heap of good bits,it wasnt salt,

Lol. You call that, a wrecker calls it high performance coating.

LOL

It's just a bit dirty.

It's just a bit dirty.

Haha, it's just a bit written off!

Unless it's wheels or items not effected by water, I wouldn't be hanging any water damaged parts on my unit.

I wouldn't be hanging any water damaged parts on my unit.

Personally, I don't hang anything on my unit except for the odd towel as a party trick.

Personally, I don't hang anything on my unit except for the odd towel as a party trick.

I laughed, that was pretty funny.

Not meaning to sound cruel bit do you think theres going to be some bmws scrapped for parts across the ditch. Might be a good opportunity for someone with contacts to start importing some spares.

I understand where you are coming from, and yes most mechanical parts would be fine once you had given them a good steam cleaning. However, it wouldn't feel right to me - kind of making something out of other's mis-fortune. I hope I'm wrong, but I would imagine there are vultures circling the area already to cash in on this kind of thing.

Oh and Pjay - stop it, I'm at work and supposed to be serious, not spraying coffee all over my desk!

I am old enough to remember the Wahine sinking, and all the cars that were on board.

Okay, slightly different as they were submerged in salt water, but a lot of those cars were salvaged and sold very cheaply to the public, and the Government registered the fact that they were from the Wahine on the ownership papers at that time.

I got into the motor trade a few years after this occurred and the problems that these vehicles had was phenominal.

As a car salesman in those days, the maximum we would trade these cars for was scrap value only, and they were sent straight to the scrap yards, not to wreckers.

Anyone who buys parts from these Australian cars is a fool, but in saying that, I daresay some uncouth, moneyhungry bas**rd will buy these wrecks for salvage and sell the parts on to the unsuspecting public.

Whats a day or three of flood on your car in comparision to years and years of acid rain?

Acid rain doesn't get into the engine internals like flood water does.

Well honestly, you would have a bit of common sense about it. What is being suggested is that the whole car is stuffed and should be crushed now. I personally don't agree, I think panels and other components could be salvaged safetly - not the engine. I would not want a flood damaged engine.

Well honestly, you would have a bit of common sense about it. What is being suggested is that the whole car is stuffed and should be crushed now. I personally don't agree, I think panels and other components could be salvaged safetly - not the engine. I would not want a flood damaged engine.

Oh fully agree, wheels, guards, glass etc would still be all good, i wasn't the one suggesting to crush the lot.

Flood water is not fresh....its a mixture of fresh waster, sewerage, phosphates (FARMING) salts and alot of other nasty chemicals. You can go to the beach and swallow salt water, it won't harm you. Try a Brisbane river cocktail. As for the cars, they will probably have similar damage to salt water depending on the area they were submerged.

Not that unit mate lol.

My father in law bought a car to rebuild that had been in the drink, lake in fact. In the end nothing worked not even the side mirrors only thing he kept was the jack and wheel brace the sediment builds up if they are not cleaned when wet, I woudn't touch water logged stuff after seeing that.

series 1 rx7 it was.

Thinking back he even tried to use the negative terminal for another car, even that had to be sanded for about half an hour just hopeless water just gets in everywhere, heart breaking.