Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Any Bimmersporters Fly?

I'm looking at doing my CPL through CTC, and was just wondering... are there any other bimmersporters out there who fly?

My goal is to become an airline pilot (i know, big goal, but hey you only live once). Currently I'm studying towards being an Aircraft Technician in the RNZAF, but I'm seriously considering jumping ship and running off to do the CTC course.

Anyone got any advice? Tips and hints? Or just long-winded stories?

Cheers,

Paul

My father was a 747 captain for Air NZ and now works for the CAA. A few years ago I asked him if it would be worth it for me to try get into the business, he told me university was a better option because it is just so competitive and the industry is changing so fast. It certainly isn't impossible, but if you want to fly the real planes you will have to do a fair bit of flying on an ave wage for Eagle or Mount Cook Air first.

I suppose it depends if you are in it for the money, or just for the flying ;)

Im an engineer for air NZ, been doing it for 10 years (since I was 17), contracting around the world etc, so I know the industry pretty well.

The reality is, be prepared to earn NAFF all for the first few years, like less than $8 an hour to fly bug smashers for small operators, fighting with other pilots in your situation to get into the seat, add to this working as an instructor to get your hours up, then getting another job to actually pay the bills...

Once you have your CPL you'll need upwards of 6000 hours before an airline (even a small one) will even consider you.

Personally, I know lots of guys who have suddenly decided that they want to be pilots in there mid 20's, and it is hard, bones of ass, yards. Its one of those jobs you need to start training for when about when your 17 and can live on the smell of an oily rag, that way by the time your 30 you might earn 50k a year :P

I considered being a pilot when I was younger, but thought at the end of the day id rather be an engineer than a bus driver :P

Dont mean/want to smash your dreams, but there are thousands of pilots in NZ that are trying to get there hours up to fly commercially and struggling. I know people wit CPL's working as loaders/drivers/storeman etc simply because they cant get the hours to be viable to a company at the same time making it financially work.

There arent that many good engineer's though, and theyre always in demand. Engineers can earn much better money earlier in their career, and once licensed with ratings on some decent planes goood coin can be made if your willing to travel (no chance of earning a 747 PIC wage ever though! )

EDIT,

BTW Mark, I think you might know Russell S, he mentioned he knew a guy with a E30 M50 a few weeks ago. Small world ;)

Edited by Jacko

Not sure if it helps, but the only person I know who has made it all the way to being a pilot for one of the big airlines is the biggest lunatic I know, with absolutely no sense of fear. If I ever get on a plane and hear the words "Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your captain D#$ B$@@& speaking" I'm getting off there and then - he scared the life out of me in a Renault 5, don't want to find out what he can do with a Boeing!

I did my PPL back in the day with Waitemata Aero Club at Ardmore and at Kaipara Flats. Back then the way to CPL was by PPL - CPL at a club, log free hours instructing (get paid a pittance, but at least you get log book time) then hope for a chance at Coconut Palm Airways or the like. Air NZ wouldn't look at you 'till you'd lived through a couple of years flying clapped out old twins in Vanuatu etc. Nowadays the more popular route is the University way, but I still reckon you can't go past the old way of doing it. Talk to your local club and see what they reckon. I still miss it sometimes, but in the end, when the family came along it just got too expensive to keep current so I had to give it away......sigh.

My main route plan was through CTC, mainly as they have a good record of Pilot placement, and very good links with some of the more "budget" airlines, i.e Jetstar and the like. Hopes are to eventually make it onto the Jetstar cadet program.

Also, this isnt some sudden pipe dream, this has been my dream in life since i was about 8, however it is only now that I am beginning to realise I could actually achieve it if i put in enough effort.

I always thought I'd never get to fly due to my eyesight, but turns out I'm well within the range for a commercial pilot. Just not good enough for the RNZAF haha.

Edit: Oh yeah, and i can be pretty mad when i need to be too :D

Edited by huff3r

I'm seriously considering flying as well. My best friend's father was an airline captain for Cathay and is now Chief of airbus or something and he told me a lot about the industry. His son is currently at Ardmore flying school, just finished his PPL and is working towards his CPL now I believe.

I've considered Ardmore, Bayflight and another one in Matamata but havn't applied for any. I have however applied for a cadetship through Cathay Pacific which if successful for will be training at their flying school in Adelaide.

And that's my long winded story.

nothing to offer in the sense of experience but did an introductory flight in a chopper.

One of the hardest things ive ever done. And im pretty co-ordinated

nothing to offer in the sense of experience but did an introductory flight in a chopper.

One of the hardest things ive ever done. And im pretty co-ordinated

Yup, choppers look frightfully difficult. I'd be keen to fly them, but reality is i cant quite do everything. Hence having to give up on racing for flight school :(

Go for it man. I'd love to be a pilot. I love planes, the smell at the airport, the sound, would be awesome doing it for a job. I have found that if I have a PC and some head phones, is much more affordable. Microsoft flight simulator online in a pro atc game is awesome. Really serious gaming haha.

I got 10,000000000s of FSX flying hours haha

Go for it !!!

Edited by Young Jack

Go for it man. I'd love to be a pilot. I love planes, the smell at the airport, the sound, would be awesome doing it for a job. I have found that if I have a PC and some head phones, is much more affordable. Microsoft flight simulator online in a pro atc game is awesome. Really serious gaming haha.

I got 10,000000000s of FSX flying hours haha

Go for it !!!

Haha i love all that too. Helps that I live at an airport :D. But i miss big jets, and would love to feel that *pushed into the back of your seat* feeling several times a day! :D

Like a good take-off in a car, but just that little bit more!

Haha i love all that too. Helps that I live at an airport :D. But i miss big jets, and would love to feel that *pushed into the back of your seat* feeling several times a day! :D

Like a good take-off in a car, but just that little bit more!

Yea. You gotta get on the 737-300 into wellington at night. Since its a short runway and its night they slam on the anchors much more than during the day. Its awesome!!!

Sucks though. Went on the A380 and you don't feel any of that. 777 I think it the noisiest, best plane for getting pushed into ya seat =)

Stick to the small jet planes, much more fun =)

Edited by Young Jack

Yongxi is a pilot, think he just finished training recently...

Edited by Blackie

Yea. You gotta get on the 737-300 into wellington at night. Since its a short runway and its night they slam on the anchors much more than during the day. Its awesome!!!

Sucks though. Went on the A380 and you don't feel any of that. 777 I think it the noisiest, best plane for getting pushed into ya seat =)

Stick to the small jet planes, much more fun =)

If i went Jetstar cadet it'd be A320s for quite some time. Suits me fine, they are apparently just like flight sim, being fly-by-wiren and full glass cockpit :D

Id rather walk than fly in a skoda/airbus ;):P

Seriously, take a look, talk to people in the industry (not the pilot CPL factories who pump em out!) and think about it first man.

How many of the previous posters here have a CPL, how many use it?

Everyone wants to be a pilot for the romance of it, but reality sucks. By all means go for it, but be realistic about it or youll find yourself in the same boat as all the other people with CPL's working at Air Woolworths paying of an epic student loan :ph34r:

Edited by Jacko

My dad is a pilot for Air NZ and flies the 777. I am training to be a pilot now, trying to get my hours up for my PPL and next year going to UNI and doing my CPL at the same time... well thats the plan atleast.

My grandad was a pilot for the British Air Force so it kind of runs in the family. Its something you have to be passionate about, especially if your dropping upwards of 100k on the training.

I'm only 18 so I'm still young and have the resources to do it.

Tristan, I have a friend currently doing the Cathy Pacific cadet ship so if you want any details on it PM me.

Id rather walk than fly in a skoda/airbus ;):P

Seriously, take a look, talk to people in the industry (not the pilot CPL factories who pump em out!) and think about it first man.

How many of the previous posters here have a CPL, how many use it?

Everyone wants to be a pilot for the romance of it, but reality sucks. By all means go for it, but be realistic about it or youll find yourself in the same boat as all the other people with CPL's working at Air Woolworths paying of an epic student loan :ph34r:

Dont get me wrong, its not at all about the romance and I am certainly passionate about it. I never even considered any of the "look at me, im a pilot" attractions, but rather have been taking a close look at the job itself, and it seems to suit me.

Im good at academic stuff, but prefer practical work. Pilot seems the ideal mix of both. And I definitely enjoy driving/being in control haha.

And I definitely have a passion as well, else I wouldnt be leaving a decently paid airforce job for it.

I am on my way to finishing my PPL right now at North Shore.

Did my solo few months ago and its definately an experience I will never forget. Have logged 21 PIC hours. Currently still underaged (17) from getting the license till August so I am trying to log as much hours as possible. I just need to sit the human factors exam and everything will be sussed out for when I turn 17. My uncle is a Qantas 747 captain. He is going to be retiring later this year to be a instructor. He did it through cadetship way back in the 70's and says its a very competitive market out there especially these days.

After NCEA level 2 this year, I am gonna try to apply cadeship for airlines like Singapore, Malaysia,Cathay, Air Asia, Etihad, Jetstar. If I dont get in this year then I continue year 13 whilst getting my CPL and go Uni to get a degree in preferably Aeronautical Enginnering.

Story of my life

:mellow:

Edited by molehole1308

I had an interview with Ardmore about a month ago to see what it would be like. Cost is around $90k. I left after that.

Personally I plan on getting my PPL as my mid life crisis and building me a kit plane, being a bus driver has no appeal :P Aint no glamour or hostees in it though :D

I would stick with the engineering, at least get your level 4 in all the subjects (I assume RNZAF is on the NZQA goat-f system too), then look at CPL, as then if you get stuck with out a an pilot job you'll have something to fall back on that still will leave you in the industry, and starting something without finishing it looks stink on a resume.

The best option would be to go hard at your LAME exams at the same time as level 4, and come out of the airforce in demand, and then you could fund your CPL with no student loan.

If driven enough and went hard at your apprenticeship and LAME exams you can have them all nailed in 3 years from the start, it would be hard but is doable.

Edit -

The added bonus of being both a LAME and holding a CPL is you'd be one of the few pilots who actually know how their plane works :blink::D

Edited by Jacko

Going for my PPL at the moment through CAC. Flying every saturday is honestly the highlight of my week, cant wait to get up, and hate driving away from the club, its something i dont think i could ever get bored of. Not thinking about getting my CPL at the moment as i have other job aspirations, but will defiantly fly as much as i can, as long as i can, mostly for the enjoyment.

If your really serious about it you need to stand out from the others as much as you can (most hours, experience, qualifications, etc). Most importantly, if you have a DIC conviction, or ever get one, consider your career gone, airlines wont trust anyone who cant control / judge themselfs. All this advice from my uncle, haha

Most importantly, if you have a DIC conviction, or ever get one, consider your career gone, airlines wont trust anyone who cant control / judge themselfs.

+1, Both licenses can be taken away in a flash for not being a "fit and proper person", it does happen.

I have a PPL, got it 33 years ago. let it die after 13 years flying (kids at private schools are damned expensive........), and regained it again 3 months ago. #1 son has just completed CPL - MEIR, and is now off to Australia to fly GA outback. Is planning on doing this for a year, then off to Canada flying float planes out of Vancouver. I have tried to impress on him not to become just any old "bus or truck driver in the sky", and to his credit he does a level headed view of the hard yakker in front - just to make the grade.

As the others above have said, it will be very hard work, but the rewards are there. Go for it!