Sign in to follow this  
w_elliot

My sump doesn't want to come off!

had some free time today and made a start at pulling the cracked sump off the e30 in order to get it welded up, the sump just doesn't want to go anywhere... i have removed all visible bolts and have seperated the front of the sump from the block but something is holding things up at the gearbox end. any hidden bolts i should know about?

I am running an m50b25 with getrag 240 trans and an e34 sump. i hope someone can help me out here, i'm over having no means of transport!!

had some free time today and made a start at pulling the cracked sump off the e30 in order to get it welded up, the sump just doesn't want to go anywhere... i have removed all visible bolts and have seperated the front of the sump from the block but something is holding things up at the gearbox end. any hidden bolts i should know about?

I am running an m50b25 with getrag 240 trans and an e34 sump. i hope someone can help me out here, i'm over having no means of transport!!

Lightly tap it with a mallet all the way around the gasket, if that fails, thin plastic scraper and a hammer works ;)

i think it's something trickier than a sticky gasket. the front part of the sump seperated easily but further back it just wont budge no matter how hard i try to pry it off which leads me to think that it's stuck where the engine, trans and sump meet. any hidden bolts in that area?

double check the number of bolts you have removed .

and dont forget all teh ones around the bell housing etc

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Seda...evel_indicator/

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

You need to take the gearbox off to get at the rest. (bolts 8 and 9 I believe).

Edited by polley

No, the gearbox doesn't have to come off, there are 2 small cutouts on the bottom of the box to access those bolts thru.

He's got a getrag 240 or 260 on there from an m20 and it doesn't have the cutouts.

No, the gearbox doesn't have to come off, there are 2 small cutouts on the bottom of the box to access those bolts thru.

Ok.

He's got a getrag 240 or 260 on there from an m20 and it doesn't have the cutouts.

Get a drill?

should be two bolts at the gearbox end (bell housing)

had the same problem but i had an auto box not sure if theyre same/different??

Edited by B PORTN

Hours of fun lying under an e30. On the topic of welding I was advised against welding a cracked sump. According to a welder I talked to about this any residue oil can cause small holes to be blasted into the aluminium once they start the welding. It was for an e28 M30 sump hard to find parts as it is, even though in the end finding an uncracked second hand one was cheaper anyway.

should be two bolts at the gearbox end (bell housing)

had the same problem but i had an auto box not sure if theyre same/different??

It is different because he is using an m50 with an m20 gearbox.

Hours of fun lying under an e30. On the topic of welding I was advised against welding a cracked sump. According to a welder I talked to about this any residue oil can cause small holes to be blasted into the aluminium once they start the welding. It was for an e28 M30 sump hard to find parts as it is, even though in the end finding an uncracked second hand one was cheaper anyway.

Yes, it can be difficult to weld the alloy sumps. Especially if the crack is old. however, I successfully had an m20 sump welded and it still doesn't leak to this day. (4-5 years later).

Yes, it can be difficult to weld the alloy sumps. Especially if the crack is old. however, I successfully had an m20 sump welded and it still doesn't leak to this day. (4-5 years later).

the crack is far from old, only happened about three days ago. finally got it off at lunch time today, i've chopped a small unnessecary section out of the bellhousing so if this ever happens again it'll be a nice quick fix as the two hidden bolts are no longer hidden :)

can anyone reccomend a good welder in christchurch?

cheers to the people who mentioned the hidden bolts, if it weren't for those pointers i'd still be sitting around scratching my head.

the crack is far from old, only happened about three days ago. finally got it off at lunch time today, i've chopped a small unnessecary section out of the bellhousing so if this ever happens again it'll be a nice quick fix as the two hidden bolts are no longer hidden :)

can anyone reccomend a good welder in christchurch?

cheers to the people who mentioned the hidden bolts, if it weren't for those pointers i'd still be sitting around scratching my head.

I just wrote you a pm about this. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

Has it got my old sump on it with a crack welded down the side of it ?

Doesn't appear to, unless someone is very good at grinding their welds back. Its still repairable but it was cheaper and easier just to buy another one so the cracked one is getting shelved until I learn how to tig.

Has it got my old sump on it with a crack welded down the side of it ?

When I smashed it I put a mint sump on it. I think that's the one he smashed.

Mended. now it's time to track down a bit of compressed air and blow all the rainwater out of my ignitition system so i get 6 cylinders all the time. god i wish i had a decent garage...

thanks for all the tips, it's made the job a lot easier.