Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

New player on the roads...

Feast your eyes, very sharp pricing for a brand new car, wonder if they're any good?!?!

Geely

As far as Chinese car they are much better than they used to be in the last couple of decades, thats a given... In saying that I had a look at one up close a few months ago, pretty cheapy build quality - you really do get what you pay for. I mean your not buying a quality product by any means.... Ive driven some new Hyundia hatches and they are relatively awful in my opinion, a same year Toyota Corolla is hugely superior. The Corolla is just better thought out, more developed and refined.

Id imagine the difference between a Geely and Toyota would be even more distinct, black and white perhaps! (Bit of a no brainer I guess, HA)

To me, anyone that buys a Geely, Kia, Hyundia etc are people that see cars as no different to their basic brand toaster, or refrigerator, just something that does the job at a cheap price.

Their loss I guess, for life is enjoyed to its fullest with finer things, like BMWs and fancy Bosch dishwashers!

Edited by E36V8

What scares me is there must be at least 2 people (The manufacturer and the distributor) making a good margin on this, along with shipping, rego and compliance costs etc. The actual build cost must be crazy cheap, Probably under 5k.

You really do question the quality! Will check one out next time im up that way just as a matter of interest

Not entirely sure about that mate, a good friend of mine has a 2010 Corolla as a work car and can't honestly tell the difference in quality between it and our Kia Rio diesel if an alien came to this earth and didn't know the brands he'd have a hard time trying to figure out what was best, we compared them side by side when we got ours late last year and the steel was just as stiff, the plastic was just as plastic (horrible tinny feel to the touch) the only difference we could come up with is that the Kia's tyre roar was f**ken terrible, this has been fixed with a set of decent bridgestones we just put on it on Tuesday.

IMO Korean brands have come 1 million miles compared to 10 years ago especially, I mean I like my high end European brands and 10 years ago if you told me I'd own a Kia I would have committed suicide. We bought the Kia because it's actually quite fun to drive, extremely economical (4.8-5.2l per 100km) and rather powerful for a car of it's size, it completely annihilates the 1.8 litre Corolla off the mark, mid range and top end. You get the distinct feeling you're just paying for the brand when your in the Toyota and for this level of car I just couldn't justify the extra for the Corolla.

Just my 2c

As far as Chinese car they are much better than they used to be in the last couple of decades, thats a given... In saying that I had a look at one up close a few months ago, pretty cheapy build quality - you really do get what you pay for. I mean your not buying a quality product by any means.... Ive driven some new Hyundia hatches and they are relatively awful in my opinion, a same year Toyota Corolla is hugely superior. The Corolla is just better thought out, more developed and refined.

Id imagine the difference between a Geely and Toyota would be even more distinct, black and white perhaps! (Bit of a no brainer I guess, HA)

To me, anyone that buys a Geely, Kia, Hyundia etc are people that see cars as no different to their basic brand toaster, or refrigerator, just something that does the job at a cheap price.

Their loss I guess, for life is enjoyed to its fullest with finer things, like BMWs and fancy Bosch dishwashers!

have you driven a recent hyundai? if not that is probably why you are saying what you are saying. they have won multiple awards and actually feels nice inside. i actually like the feel of the i30 and their suvs.. they are refined, and loads of room inside.

the only thing im errring on the safe side from buying a china made car is probably the reliability and the servicing side of things. parts, tech support etc... and i would imagine resale value is basically down the drain and atm they dont look apealing to me.

What scares me is there must be at least 2 people (The manufacturer and the distributor) making a good margin on this, along with shipping, rego and compliance costs etc. The actual build cost must be crazy cheap, Probably under 5k.

You really do question the quality! Will check one out next time im up that way just as a matter of interest

car companies have sold cars for loses actually. most liekly to boost company consumer awareness. i forgot which company i read which was making $3k lose per car. even the veyron was being sold at a lose.

have you driven a recent hyundai? if not that is probably why you are saying what you are saying. they have won multiple awards and actually feels nice inside. i actually like the feel of the i30 and their suvs.. they are refined, and loads of room inside.

Yeah, a 2009 Getz, I hated everything about it, mostly the bizarre steering.

I would be intrigued to see what the bigger cars are like, I am sure they are fine for what you pay, but I wouldnt buy one. Never.

The LC looks like a pokemon that just got slapped with a fish...

Geely are not available here, and from what I understand they have a way to go to meet the very strict emmissions standards set here.

However, cars manufactured by BYD (http://www.byd.com/) will be available here soon. They will most likely slip into the price point/quality level that used to be held by the likes of Kia and Hyundai.

Also, for those people who still think that Hyundai and Kia are a couple of rungs lower on the quality scale than Toyota, you are smoking crack. In fact I would even say that the build quality of the higher end Hyundai's match those of the silimar spec "high end" Euro's. I have been in a new Hyundai Genesis Sedan, and it was a very nice car to be in, equal to, if not better than a new 5 series BMW. Not to mention the warranty on a Hyundai is far better.

Yeah, a 2009 Getz, I hated everything about it, mostly the bizarre steering.

What did you expect? A Getz is the absolute base model if I am not mistaken. Hardly the model to base an assessment of a whole brand on!

That's like basing Toyota/Lexus bulid quality on the the Echo, which I'm sure is equal in quality to the Getz..

Geely is available in NZ, the company that dustributes Hyundai and Isuzu utes sell them, although id give it a few years yet before buying a Geely.

Chinese people love them.

Hyundais are really good cars, especially the elite models, they do have a bit of a stigma, but after driving almost all of their brand new cars and their van I'd have no problem in having either an i30, i45, ix35 or Santa Fe, when the Genisis makes it here, I think it'll sell quite well, even the V8 engined one which made an appearance in the movie Inception.. Ex pat NZer Rhys Millen uses the Genesis coupe for his drift car.

Currently they can't keep up demand for the i45 as they are selling like crazy.

Think the Santa Fe just got judged best mid sized suv by nz4wd.

The LC looks like a pokemon that just got slapped with a fish...

Made me laugh, so true.

0 out of 5 NCap stars. hahaha.

I bet China is just trying to control the population with unsafe cars.

NCAP have not even tested it, its not even in their (Europe's) market.

Looking at the crash data a few model dont do too bad and would score a few stars.

Half the members cars on Bimmersport would score 0 out of 5 though. How do we think a E30 or E28 would fair. A E34 not much better. Food for thought.

NCAP have not even tested it, its not even in their (Europe's) market.

Looking at the crash data a few model dont do too bad and would score a few stars.

Half the members cars on Bimmersport would score 0 out of 5 though. How do we think a E30 or E28 would fair. A E34 not much better. Food for thought.

I think you are right about some cars, but this is a car designed and made in 2009, it should be better. The problem with this kind of product is that it appeals to the mingy tight kiwi, the type who queues outside the warehouse at the sniff of saving 30cents. Yuck.

I love watching people buying cheap ass, breaking it, buying better and then complaining. Buy right the first time NZ!

Easy to say from your perch up there.

The car itself with be reliable and durable, probably more so than your 150,000 BMW if friends experiences with New BMW’s is anything to go by, all of them are constantly back at the dealers, one guy recons he has spent more time in BMW’s loaner cars than his own brand new BMW.

They may not be as safe as brand new Euro but they are as safe as the 10 year old bottom feeder Japanese import equivalent.

The car itself with be reliable and durable, probably more so than your 150,000 BMW if friends experiences with New BMW’s is anything to go by, all of them are constantly back at the dealers, one guy recons he has spent more time in BMW’s loaner cars than his own brand new BMW.

They may not be as safe as brand new Euro but they are as safe as the 10 year old bottom feeder Japanese import equivalent.

Agreed!

Hahaha, funny. I love BMW loaners! You get to try out all sorts of cars for the price of yours. Win.

I think the point is that a car designed and produced in 2009 hasn't had any thought put into it around safety. Comparing it to a 10 year old bottom feeder jap car shows how bad it must be.

Just wait a couple of years and there will be a flood of Geelys on the 2nd hand market for absolute chips.

These cars are going to be bought by large Fleet buyers because of their price. They will keep them for a couple of years then get rid of them on an unsuspecting NZ public. This always happens in the motor industry.

I sold fleet cars for a long time (Toyotas & Nissans) and we just couldn't compete with the Korean brands back then.

Fleet buyers eg District Health Boards, Councils, Power Cos etc. are all price driven and will buy the cheapest vehicle available. They buy the vehicles at a price far less than the list price, claim back the 15% GST, write off 20% per annum in depreciation, and at the end of the term the car has a book value of next door to nothing. Remember that the vehicle will still be under warranty while they own it, so their maintainance bill will be negligable. Then they trade it on new cars and the public get to buy the old ones.

I hate to think how many ex fleet Kias, Hyundais etc have been through my hands over the last few years.

They are chips new.

Once again it hasn’t actually been crash tested by NCAP or ANCAP so we can’t judge it.

These scummy people that shop at the warehouse, or your average Kiwi know it’s not a 5 star safety car and they don’t expect it to be at half the cost.

It’s cheap. Brand new and has a three year warranty.

Most average Kiwi’s would rather shop at the warehouse for new shoes than wear scummy old ten year old designer hand me downs ;)

I agree with what Graham has said.

The rest of you sound like Americans from the late '60s early '70s when Japanese cars started rolling off the ships onto their shores.

Those of you that are saying Corollas are far better cars than new Geelys', wait 10 years. Have any of you ever driven a early '70s Toyota or Datsun, well it aint fun.

It's just a matter of time.

As for safety, i'd love to see an E30 in an ANCAP / NCAP test pfft.

They are chips new.

Once again it hasn’t actually been crash tested by NCAP or ANCAP so we can’t judge it.

These scummy people that shop at the warehouse, or your average Kiwi know it’s not a 5 star safety car and they don’t expect it to be at half the cost.

It’s cheap. Brand new and has a three year warranty.

Most average Kiwi’s would rather shop at the warehouse for new shoes than wear scummy old ten year old designer hand me downs ;)

Fair enough too.

I remember my first brand new car - what a great feeling!

(I'm not sure you should characterize warehouse shoppers as "scummy" - not nice. Although, I probably started that by describing 30cent saving queuers....apologies!)

Edited by E90 M3

It was the Latin NCAP safety test that gave the Geely Compact Sedan 0 out of 5 stars.

The embarrassing result will have produced furrowed brows at Volvo, which has built up an enviable reputation for safety excellence over several decades.

According to the NCAP report, a significant amount of body shell collapse resulted in the windscreen pillar, steering column and pedals moving a long way from their original position.

''The body shell was not capable of withstanding any further loading,'' it said.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/...1021-16v6c.html

Do realise Apex that NCAP ratings are not just in Europe now. Even China has their own. And of course the Geely's seem to get good ratings there. However they own Volvo so I can imagine that their safety ratings will get better very quickly. Not that I care.