Sign in to follow this  
Lucan

AFM to MAF?

Discussion time.

Without going into too much detail, I've read you can use the MAF sensor from various models, some kind of piggyback system and with a bit of wiring and a tune get an M20 to run with a MAF sensor in pace of the AFM, letting your m20 'breath' easier. This without sacrificing anything, resulting in increased throttle response and power across the range.

I've seen the miller induction kit but it seems a bit pricey compared to old fashioned DIY.

Has anyone else researched this? I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinions, outcomes.

Shoot.

There are threads on E30 tech about using a E36 320 M50 MAF from memory, can't be assed searching :P

Discussion time.

Without going into too much detail, I've read you can use the MAF sensor from various models, some kind of piggyback system and with a bit of wiring and a tune get an M20 to run with a MAF sensor in pace of the AFM, letting your m20 'breath' easier. This without sacrificing anything, resulting in increased throttle response and power across the range.

I've seen the miller induction kit but it seems a bit pricey compared to old fashioned DIY.

Has anyone else researched this? I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinions, outcomes.

Shoot.

Got lots of info yesterday, i have the M30 AFM, 19lb. injectors, Mark D chip tuned to the 19 LB. injectors, headers and a Remus. The $600 Miller set up, 25 HP. you have to get a different idle control valve because it only comes "AS IS", plug your brake booster hose, If you find the right pic. it travels straight down off the TB, turns and runs along the frame, then ducts under and the air cleaner is in the cavity behind the bumper. Thier chip is "AS IS" unless you spend another $300 for the War chip. My solution: Been running the ITG foam and a CAI, M30 i'm going to take the square old brake duct and extend the foam filter, thinking air moving in a square area will flow better. # 2 is take the little intake boot/scoop inside the air cleaner, this is a proved to be nessacary part, take two of them, cut and fit to the M30 intake and remove the stock M30 intake metal thing and fit the Scoop to the AFM intake, the rubber piece in the pic i just made and not perfect like the BMW scoop it helped. The length of the miller pipe gats some HP. If i run the stock air box, set up a ram air like removing the high beam, and it works, i'll let the rich kids do Miller.

post-9443-1297909437.jpg

post-9443-1297909532.jpg

post-9443-1297909867.jpg

So your not doing the MAF conversion, you'll be ramming air into your M30 AFM right?

How much better does the m20 run with the M30 AFM? I read up a bit about this before I decided a MAF conversion would be more worth while, I see you've done pretty much what everyone claims works, larger injectors, M30 AFM and "Mark D" chip.

Did you have and idling issues?

Cheers,

So your not doing the MAF conversion, you'll be ramming air into your M30 AFM right?

How much better does the m20 run with the M30 AFM? I read up a bit about this before I decided a MAF conversion would be more worth while, I see you've done pretty much what everyone claims works, larger injectors, M30 AFM and "Mark D" chip.

Did you have and idling issues?

Cheers,

Hey, your there, so i think directing the air to the AFM will help, pic of the scoop i'm going to cut up and make one, pretty engineered little scoop. Have to drilled out the blue air fuel plug in the AFM??? Are you positive you don't have any vacum leaks???

post-9443-1297911173.jpg

Hey, your there, so i think directing the air to the AFM will help, pic of the scoop i'm going to cut up and make one, pretty engineered little scoop. Have to drilled out the blue air fuel plug in the AFM??? Are you positive you don't have any vacum leaks???

i want power, going down the road and punching it, if i'm doing 50 and punch it with ram air into the M30 with the fixed up scoops i believe Miller can't keep up. A guy did a air cleaner test i was reading and commented the air box without the little scoop did not flow well, that like the stock M30 " inlet air catcher", piece of junk, but the M30 motors and ETA motors didn't need custom flowing. Did you swap out the spring and electrics from an I AFM into your M30??? Edited by Mile High

I talked to a racecar driver with a 2.7 stroked e30 very very similar to mine, he said it did make a difference overall on his racecar but not enough to justify the cost $$ on a road car.

Thats my 2c, you can also use Hyundai(or daewoo something like that) MAF's.

I talked to a racecar driver with a 2.7 stroked e30 very very similar to mine, he said it did make a difference overall on his racecar but not enough to justify the cost $$ on a road car.

Thats my 2c, you can also use Hyundai(or daewoo something like that) MAF's.

Got a link to the Hyundai MAF build?

The piggyback system and getting her tuned will be the most expensive parts, but it'll need a tune anyway so can deduct that cost for peace of mind :P We'll see how much more $$ i want to throw at it after I've got this thing together.

what about using an m50 ecu and associated bits. A little bit more work but you'll gain throttle response, fuel economy and probably more power as well.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.ph...3504&page=1

I'd actually started reading that thread the other day James :P

Looks like a lot more work! I didn't get very far into it but swapping over all the neccessary parts looks like a PITA and doubt that'll be an easy option. Especially for a car that'll be driving on the road a hell of a lot more than anywhere else.

Talk to crunchy on here about mapecu2. Its relatively cost affective and easy to install. I used it to setup a maf sensor on my e30 awhile back.

Awesome, I'll have to have a chat to you as well when I get that plate filler at some point :P

Awesome, I'll have to have a chat to you as well when I get that plate filler at some point :P

See, you guys found something with the hundi i've never herd about, can't be on these forums 24/7 My old Mech. buddy was telling me Ausi. and NewZ have been shipped really nice and fast BMW's for years that won't pass the smog tests here , Thanks !!!