Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Importing a couple of tyres

Has anyone done this, any pitfalls, did you save money by importing them yourself?

I'd be interested to hear stories, advice etc. A set from the UK or US although not really sure its cost effectiveness.

Edited by 318Touring

I looked into it but haven't done it yet. It seemed pretty cost effective to me. I wanted a set of Michelin PS2s and was quoted around $780/tyre for them locally (including "free" fitting), so $3120 all up. From TireRack in the US I got a quote for the same tyres air freighted to NZ for ~$1800 NZD (plus GST, duty, and customs fees, which looked to be another ~$400).

I looked into it but haven't done it yet. It seemed pretty cost effective to me. I wanted a set of Michelin PS2s and was quoted around $780/tyre for them locally (including "free" fitting), so $3120 all up. From TireRack in the US I got a quote for the same tyres air freighted to NZ for ~$1800 NZD (plus GST, duty, and customs fees, which looked to be another ~$400).

How are you shipping them to NZ, I thought TR doesn't post overseas?

I saw Pirelli PZero for $300 here (buytyresonline.co.nz) and US$200 at TR, although I'm not sure whether the NZ's ones are PZero Rosso.

I saw Pirelli PZero for $300 here (buytyresonline.co.nz) and US$200 at TR, although I'm not sure whether the NZ's ones are PZero Rosso.

We can do most specs if they are not in stock here ;)

Just fire an email through

Their website doesn't support it, but they do ship internationally. You need to email them for a quote. Google for "TireRack international shipping" for the details--it's not loading for me right now.

I did forget to mention that, in their case, they only accept payment from credit cards issued by a bank with US branches, or Amex, or wire transfer. So that's a bit of a hassle.

Their website doesn't support it, but they do ship internationally. You need to email them for a quote. Google for "TireRack international shipping" for the details--it's not loading for me right now.

I did forget to mention that, in their case, they only accept payment from credit cards issued by a bank with US branches, or Amex, or wire transfer. So that's a bit of a hassle.

I think tyres attract 5% duty. Did you get charged this tax?

From a UK Porsche shop, the cost of these tyres are around 40% cheaper including all of the shipping, tax and GST costs.

I think tyres attract 5% duty. Did you get charged this tax?

From a UK Porsche shop, the cost of these tyres are around 40% cheaper including all of the shipping, tax and GST costs.

Yeah, 40-50% is what I've seen too. Doesn't make much sense that I can get tyres air freighted to NZ for cheaper than I can buy them locally when local suppliers are bulk shipping them in. Nor does it make that much sense that Euro cars retail new for 30-50% more here than I would pay importing one personally from the UK.

I haven't ordered yet, but my numbers above did include a 5% duty, GST, and customs processing fees. Whether you get caught by customs seems to be random based on past experience, but I assumed I would in this case since there's an extra 5% duty involved. Might be more likely to get away with it if each tyre is shipped individually, but I haven't checked to see if it'd work out cheaper.

Might be more likely to get away with it if each tyre is shipped individually, but I haven't checked to see if it'd work out cheaper.

I'm putting the data into my spreadsheet to see what will be cheaper if I have to pay duty and GST, individual imports or two tyres at the same time. Since Customs don't collect GST if the total the take is less than $50(?). Only 6 quid difference in shipping cost.

Have you looked at this crowd, Kiwi Shipping? They are in California.

The quote I get is $75us up to 15cbft then $5 thereafter, to Wellington. I haven't worked out how big / much 15cbft is.

Might work out cheaper if I get parts for my Porker at the same time.

Myself and quite a few CSL owners have purchased tyres from Tirerack. I put the other owners onto them because on average you save at least 40% off what the local retailers charge (currency dependent, sometimes you can save as much as 60% depending on brand).

Tirerack will take credit card but it's a bit of hassle to get it done - what you need to do is get your local bank to authorise it and tirerack will approach their paying bank to get it done - takes way longer than just wire transfer. And to be honest, unecessary when you are dealing with such a large outfit.

If you are emailing tirerack, email CY there (Cy Chowattukunnel - email Cy@tirerack.com -he's very familiar with shipping to NZ and has done so many times (you can tell him Tom recommended if you like).

Shipping tyres from the US can range from US$250 to about US$380 depending on size and weight.

Tirerack uses Fedex and their shipping prices with them is second to none - you'd struggle to find a cheaper or faster from anywhere else (average about 5 working days to get here and clear customs - longest I've heard is about 8 working days. I once ordered a set of tyres on a Monday and I had them sitting at home by Friday)

Be careful with buying tyres from overseas - some outfits will have really cheap tyres but which are couple of years old (and anything over 6 years old is really past the used by date in tyre Country). Everything from tirerack I've seen have been within a year of manufacture - so you are getting really fresh rubber.

Sure they aren't the cheapest around, but they sure are the best I've dealt with in terms of tyre buying.

And you are correct - 5% tariff on tyres and GST is on top of shipping, cost and the tariff aspect and then there's clearance fee (usually about $35).

I'd never buy tyres locally unless the currency was back at 0.60, but anything over 0.7 it's worth importing.

Edited by M3_Power

Hey thank for that Tom.

The price difference is amazing, although you're quite right TR is not the cheapest. I'll have to do some research and emailing around to compare prices.

Also might be cheaper using kiwi shipping (as above). Two tyres will be US$75 + local US shipping.

You make a good point about age. How important is age actually? The owner's handbook mentions that tyres above 6 yo should be relaced. However, does age really affect performance and safety? I don't track the Porker so I shouldn't be worried about peformance at 100mph.

And no, I don't speed (up to 100mph) on public road.

Age of tyre is important, the rubber ages an becomes harder with time an with hardness comes less grip for you,

Most manufactures i deal with have a 5 year warranty on manufactures faults eg thats the shelf life they give them.

Most tires over 5 years old start to do funny things like inner carcase cord separation which makes the tire go out of round an cause vibrations which ends up leading to a blow out. so if ya got tires that are getting towards that 5-6year mark i say get out there an use them before they go to waste.

A lot of high end tires are more expensive here due to the manufactures mark up on ya general seller. your average 'good' tyre shop hasn't got that bigger of a margin on the tyre its usually cost of tyre, fitting, balancing, shipping, casing disposal, gst and a bit of labour time.

by all means tirerack is a good source if ya after something specific and want to deal with shipping etc

just dont forget us little guys that are fitting rubber, we need customers too B)

Edited by GASTKR

A lot of high end tires are more expensive here due to the manufactures mark up on ya general seller. your average 'good' tyre shop hasn't got that bigger of a margin on the tyre its usually cost of tyre, fitting, balancing, shipping, casing disposal, gst and a bit of labour time.

just dont forget us little guys that are fitting rubber, we need customers too B)

Well said :D

It is a constant battle we have as well and it is all to do with the incredibly low volume of high end tyres we use compared to other countries world wide.

To put things into perspective if you took the entire country's tyre sales for a year, it would comfortably fit into a weeks production for most tyre factories.

OP: What brand and size tyre are you looking for? Give us a go - you never know.

Also, other members have told you to include the extra charges but no one has mentioned fitting and balancing as well.

Edited by zenetti

Well said :D

It is a constant battle we have as well and it is all to do with the incredibly low volume of high end tyres we use compared to other countries world wide.

To put things into perspective if you took the entire country's tyre sales for a year, it would comfortably fit into a weeks production for most tyre factories.

OP: What brand and size tyre are you looking for? Give us a go - you never know.

Also, other members have told you to include the extra charges but no one has mentioned fitting and balancing as well.

I hear ya re prices etc.

Pricing for the same tyres between the local shop and UK shop, $1400 (fitted) and $750 (not fitted but delivered to my front door).

Johno, can you PM me? I'd like to look at several options. Perfect replacement would be Conti Sport Contact 225/40/ZR18 N2 but would it work with other, cheaper brands? Rears are 285/30/18, Conti Sport Contact N2.

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but with the NZD being so strong at the moment I am seriously considering ordering some tyres (tires) from tirerack.com. The US list price is at least 50% less than buying in NZ.

Obviously GST on purchases over $400 (including freight) is a cost to be factored in.

Has anyone done this in recent times, and what kind of freight charges were involved?

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but with the NZD being so strong at the moment I am seriously considering ordering some tyres (tires) from tirerack.com. The US list price is at least 50% less than buying in NZ.

Obviously GST on purchases over $400 (including freight) is a cost to be factored in.

Has anyone done this in recent times, and what kind of freight charges were involved?

I was looking at bringing in a 188mm LSD center, shipping seems to start at NZ$250, surface freight only. Didn't even look at airfreight. That was assuming no more than 25kg & 0.015 m3 :blink:

Would need to be rubber you couldn't otherwise get in NZ before the cost and time involved would be economic IMO :)

Freight's gone up substantially recently from tirerack ... it used to be about US$270 to ship 4 x 19 inch tyres. I got a quote recently and it was US$370 to ship 4 x 19inch tyres.

You'll also have to pay 5% duty on tyres + 15% GST on the freight, tyre and duty components.

Still worth it for some brand of tyres however to import - eg. Michelin and Continental ... (savings used to be about 45% on these brands, now it's about 33% compared to the best local quotes I've had - and I know a lot of people in the tyre industry so the rates I get are pretty damn good).

Edited by M3_Power

I looked into it recently and like Tom said i found the only real savings were for mainly Michelin and Continental tyres.

Did this last year. Brought in a set of re11 bridgestones. The quote I got from Nz worked out cheaper but I couldn't get the rears. BS tried to get them in for me , but this was post earthquake and couldn't get them in time. Bs nz offered semi slicks instead at a great price , but neded tyres for mainly road use.

Shipping was via TIrerack was over 400 usd and gst was added to tyres and freight

Would have been around $1900 nz if they could be sourced locally. Was $2200 via tirerack but still happy with the purchase at that price

I've brought 5 sets of tyres in over the last 12 months. The first time I used tire rack, then it got too hard.

Since then I have used www.design911.co.uk

Great service and super quick. Order on a Thursday - delivery on the following Wednesday. Great guys.....

Since then I have used www.design911.co.uk

Great service and super quick. Order on a Thursday - delivery on the following Wednesday. Great guys.....

+1

Have brought a few sets from Tirerack, freight was $330-350. Factor is GST and fitting.

For me its works out I save around $250 a tyre fitted on Continentals and I can have the tyres within a week of ordering them. The local distributors don't have tyres for my car in stock and tell me it will be 8 weeks delivery, tirerack can deliver in less than a week.

Looking at another two sets this year for both my cars :)

Have personally never used www.design911.co.uk - how fresh are their tyres??

I know for a fact that the tyres you get from tirerack are usually about 6months old or less.

I've seen overseas seller sell cheap tyres that are two or three years old - so just be weary of this when you are buying abroad - make sure you ask what the manufacturing week and year is on the side wall

Thanks for all the information guys. Mainfreight look like they can do a much better freight deal than the usual offerings from FedEx etc. - I got an online estimate of NZ$250 for seafreight for 2-8 (admittedly rather small) tyres!

Still waiting for a freight estimate from Tirerack themselves, but I doubt they'll be able to beat $250. However GST and duty will kill any savings on a smaller order, and I don't really need 8 tyres...

Here is a section of a recent responce from TR re costs

Regarding customs, Duties, Taxes, and Brokerage fees, you would be responsible for these when you receive your merchandise and payment of these fees would be directly to your shipper. Now that you have your quote, you can check with your local Federal Express office to see what the charges would be.

Qty Item Number Description/Comment Price

2 63YR9PSSXL 265/30R19 MI PILT SUPER SPRT $308.00 Ea.

ShipTo Zip» X0139 NZ / Ship Whse.» SB

Mds Total $616.00

Ship Total $298.52 Via FedEx International Economy - 6 business days.

Total Due $914.52

A pair of those from that design911 place is 502.78 pounds - that under NZ$990. Tire Rack works out to about NZ$1145.

The design911 place even has a few tires that are real premium brands, that work out to be only a bit more than an "average" brand costs here!