Sign in to follow this  
simke

Telecom, Vodafone or 2degrees?

Would like to hear from people with smart phones, which network are you using and are you happy with it?

Reason I'm asking is that I find Vodafone to be total $h*t with my iPhone 4. Mobile internet over 3G is soooo slow that I just don't bother using it anymore, even tho I prepay 100mb broadband add on every month. And the reception signal is also mediocre at best, I live in ponsonby and all I get is one or two bars - even with my old phone. So would like to hear other people's experiences as I'm really thinking about switching to another network.

Watching with interest as im in exactly the same boat as you. I come off my 2 yr contract with Vodafone in about 2 months and seriously considering 2 degrees pay monthly. Only problem is they don't have a bestmate type add on which I use a lot. I would also like to know what their 3G network is like.

Same as you guys and iphone + Vodafone.

Have heard XT are good with iphones but havn't tried it yet!

Would like to hear from people with smart phones, which network are you using and are you happy with it?

Reason I'm asking is that I find Vodafone to be total $h*t with my iPhone 4. Mobile internet over 3G is soooo slow that I just don't bother using it anymore, even tho I prepay 100mb broadband add on every month. And the reception signal is also mediocre at best, I live in ponsonby and all I get is one or two bars - even with my old phone. So would like to hear other people's experiences as I'm really thinking about switching to another network.

XT is really really fast and solid. Started out crap last year - but the changes they have made really show. It is quick with heaps of reception. 2degrees is fast too - not too many users on 3G at the moment, so quick. Reception is sometime better and sometimes the same as Vodafone. Vodafone are sh*t and you should get off them as soon as possible. They are a joke. Slow, patchy reception and crap.

They tried to blame my iPhone for the reception issues I have. 2 bars in my home office. I thought they might have been right until I got a XT sim and I get 5 bars in the same place. They are full of it.

XT + iPhone 3 or 4 is insanely great!

Edited by E90 M3

Also have XT. With a Garmin Nuvifone. Often quicker than my telecom broadband at home haha. And awesome reception, and very clear voice quality for calling.

XT ... it is really far better cell technology.

im a little biased though ..

my partner just got a new smartphone on XT last weekend - it seems pretty good, gets full bard around town and suburbs. I heard it was s**t when it started up but they seem to have fixed the bugs. We are in welly.

Laurence

I have a iPhone 3GS on Telecom XT which I use sometimes as Mobile Broadband through tethering on Macbook

I also has Nokia E72 on Vodafone which is my work phone

Basically confirmed all the above

Voda is sh*t, patchy reception, mediocre voice quality, unable to make calls in CBD due to network overloading (couple of times last week)

XT is awesome, being laugh at for network shutdown last year but it's much much improved. Good reception everywhere, voice quality so good even just 1 bar will beat Voda on full bars. Internet is so quick to the point I though I am at home.

However....

if you are porting 021 number into XT, make sure your friends know you are on different network otherwise they will rack up a text bill for themselves

XT plans are slightly less flexible compare to Voda's YouChoose when it comes to the add-ons and you get slightly less for your money, but the difference price is worth the extra quality of service you are getting.

If you are using an existing device with XT, make sure it support HSDPA in 850 and 2100 frequency. Although all 3G devices Voda sell does 2100 but not many has 850. (iPhone 4 & 3G is ok)

Mobile internet over 3G is soooo slow that I just don't bother using it anymore, even tho I prepay 100mb broadband add on every month. And the reception signal is also mediocre at best, I live in ponsonby and all I get is one or two bars - even with my old phone.

My friend lives in Grey Lynn and same situation as you, I am in the progress of switching her over into Telecom. Since your mobile internet is pre-pay, I'd say ditch Voda now and buy a Telecom stick. Before you throw your laptop through the wall from frustrations.

Can't get better than XT network in terms of coverage and speed.

Here's some tests that went around work last year and we managed to convince them to put them on Youtube so we have a selling point we can prove to the public.

That video doesn't mean much. Vodafone is 100 times faster where I live than XT, hence why I'm now on Vodafone. I could show a speedtest with the opposite results. We have a reasonably large Telecom bill at work each month and I had them investigate the issue. It transpired that their network did not have the capacity to handle the volume of users after they moved everyone from CDMA. I have emails from Telecom stating this. In fact, data on CDMA was more than twice as fast as XT!

Since being on Vodafone I haven't had 1 dropped call. With XT it happened frequently.

I'm in Napier so I'm sure it's a different story in Auckland but I just wanted to say that it's not all roses on XT.

I had to use a telecom xt data usb data stick going from hamilton to tauranga. I thought I would have decent reception until I got to the kaimais where I expected it to drop signal, however signal was weak for most the trip with frequent signal drop outs, which made it a pain in the ass as I had to download multiple files on the way.

I had to use a telecom xt data usb data stick going from hamilton to tauranga. I thought I would have decent reception until I got to the kaimais where I expected it to drop signal, however signal was weak for most the trip with frequent signal drop outs, which made it a pain in the ass as I had to download multiple files on the way.

You know how cell technology and hand off between towers works aye ? 3g is not really designed for sustained downloads on the move. browsing is ok because its fragmented downloading.

Any cell technology is the same, vodafone or XT.

I've been with Vodafone for over 10 years and am happy with the service, but the reception on my Iphone 3 is rubbish.

Often even in the Wellington CBD I'll have no service when my partners shitty old Nokia has 3 or more bars.

That video doesn't mean much.

It's not like it's uploaded and backed by the actual company itself as blatent comparisions, so no. It must mean nothing at all.

It's different depending on where you are in the country of course. I advise friends and family to buy whatever is right for them at the time - what best suits their own needs. For some it's Voda, others its 2 degrees and others Telecom.

Overall I'll stick with Telecom. Extremely negative experience with Voda when I was sub 18 in terms of overage data charges I did not accumulate (Voda acknowledged someone had leeched through my account) and I still had to pay the fees and also to break the contract.

Honestly the way I see it divided in my personal opinion:

<21 - Voda prepaid/2 deg prepaid w/ Voda holding m.share

21 - 35 - Voda/Tcom postpaid w/ voda holding m.share

35+ - Tcom prepaid/postpaid/onebill - unsure

60+ Telecom prepaid/onebill

Business - Voda/Tcom w/ Tcom holding m.share

Mobile data - Voda/Tcom w/ - unsure

You know how cell technology and hand off between towers works aye ? 3g is not really designed for sustained downloads on the move. browsing is ok because its fragmented downloading.

Any cell technology is the same, vodafone or XT.

No I dont.

+1 for tcom .... most friends have vodafone ... and 99.9% of the time when they have no/low coverage i have better and faster.

I have 2degrees... on my WindowsPhone.

yeaaaaaahhh.

I'd probably barely use any data, as. my phone will seamlessly switch to wifi whenever it can.

Rarely had issues with coverage, my old Nokia had less coverage than my new HTC Trophy 7.

Edited by antil33t

Run a Milestone on XT (Personal) and a Blackberry on Voda (Work).

Never had any issues with either for the last year or so, but XT is definitely faster for me on the shore.

One thing i can offer though is recently went to Barcelona for WMC and the roaming experience with Voda was really crap compared to XT which really surprised me as I thought Voda would be better setup for that.

I bought a 2 degree sim yesterday and have been swapping my Vodafone with it randomly and have noticed 2 degree is much better, though i thought 2 degree shared the voda network, wrong?

I have a Samsung I9000 Galaxy on XT, Kicks ass for everything.

Would recomend XT A+++, Our company shifted over from Vodafone

I bought a 2 degree sim yesterday and have been swapping my Vodafone with it randomly and have noticed 2 degree is much better, though i thought 2 degree shared the voda network, wrong?

Where you live 2 degrees has there own towers so thats why

Honestly the way I see it divided in my personal opinion:

<21 - Voda prepaid/2 deg prepaid w/ Voda holding m.share

21 - 35 - Voda/Tcom postpaid w/ voda holding m.share

35+ - Tcom prepaid/postpaid/onebill - unsure

60+ Telecom prepaid/onebill

Business - Voda/Tcom w/ Tcom holding m.share

Mobile data - Voda/Tcom w/ - unsure

Just to add to this as i work with selling 2 degrees its more like

<21 - Telecom

21-35 Mix these people just run with what every they have had before.

35-80 - 2 degrees

Business is now all gone 2 degrees monthly [silly not to]

and mobile data is yea a mix but if you live in the mean cites you are crazy not to go with 2 degrees.

Thats just how it works out with people i help everyday.

they might buy a vodafone phone but they will buy a 2 degrees sim card.