Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Jenny Craig

As I am spending today and tomorrow if I need it redoing al the wiring in the car, all of the interior of the car is out. What bits should I get rid off to shed weight? As ultimately this car will be a serious streeter and will see track days.

I want the cars interior to look stock, and I'll just pull the seats out when I need to, but I'm thinking about the tar like padding stuff between the metal and the carpet.. Can that be removed? Is it heavy enough to be worth the effort? All of the tar and linings in the boot will be ginned as will the spare tyre. Where else can I loose weight? I'm going to get rid of the window motors and the central locking mechanisms on the back doors, and im not going to be reinstalling my stereo, speakers or alarm (gps tracker will be retained though) and that's it for ideas. I want to keep the sunroof

Thanks lads any ideas will be appreciated and probably actioned

serious streeter.

Is tis a car that is no fun, just drives around all serious and sh*t?

Ha my rally car that actually races has a auto locking, stereo, cruise, air-con etc.. Would strip it if it was a track car but an extra 10kg is worth little on the road.

The heaviest part of my interior was the seats followed by the carpet, I have left the carpet out but fitted seats that were one quarter OEM weight.

E30 Carpet and foam is heavy, the sound deadening is not that heavy at all.

Haha well what would you call it? I don't know what to lol.

I don't need any of that stuff in it so I may as well do away with it. Aircon is long gone, but I'll remove the heater core thing that connects to it as that is still there

I know the carpets heavy, im going to try and devise a way to make it easy to uninstall at the trackside, falling that, shave the foam off the back of it and lay it like that. Who needs sound deadening??

The sound deadening in my e30 was quite heavy. I got approx 2.5 shopping bags worth of it once I had stripped it all. Tho for some reason mine did have two layers of it in the boot and it was quite thick.

Imo unless its a serious race car in a competitive series I wouldn't bother taking anything out. You will loose comfort an d gain such little power you would never notice it

Im prepared to do it lol

I laugh at all the race car drivers that have spent $$$$ lightening their car to the nth degree, then they themselves are ginormous. Go for a run and do some serious weight saving.

And I agree with Oli, if you want to drive it regularly, don't bother. Sound deadening may weigh 20 to 30kilos but the noise gained from removal, especially with a non factory exhaust is not fun.

If anything the main positive of removing the sound deadening is it leaves a place for rust to hide to be uncovered, which is good if you had holes in your floor like me - out of sight out of mind and all that.

As for the carpet, you can use carpet from a SA car which is two pieces separate, the carpet and foam underlay, remove the underlay and replace, works good, just needs a few cable ties in choice places to keep it tight otherwise it sits loose.

Thats all I can add for now, had plenty of experience with lightened road cars and regretted it later, aside from when on the track 10% of the total time I used the car, end of the day - in a predominantly road car, its all placebo effect.

Edited by Brams

I laugh at all the race car drivers that have spent $$$$ lightening their car to the nth degree, then they themselves are ginormous. Go for a run and do some serious weight saving.

And I agree with Oli, if you want to drive it regularly, don't bother. Sound deadening may weigh 20 to 30kilos but the noise gained from removal, especially with a non factory exhaust is not fun.

If anything the main positive of removing the sound deadening is it leaves a place for rust to hide to be uncovered, which is good if you had holes in your floor like me - out of sight out of mind and all that.

As for the carpet, you can use carpet from a SA car which is two pieces separate, the carpet and foam underlay, remove the underlay and replace, works good, just needs a few cable ties in choice places to keep it tight otherwise it sits loose.

Thats all I can add for now, had plenty of experience with lightened road cars and regretted it later, aside from when on the track 10% of the total time I used the car, end of the day - in a predominantly road car, its all placebo effect.

Lol I'm 6'3" and weight 70kg.... I'm already way underweight lol. I dont have a stereo so noise is a good thing lol. If I was going any great distance I would be using the wagon or the trailer so not really bothered about that, just looking for things do to while the interior is out. Might go all serious on it later who knows

Thanks for the tip on SA carpet, I'll look into that! I seem to remember that from my SA car I used to have now you mention it

Haha probably is yeah. I'm not bothered though lol. I don't drive the car much to know a difference anyway, but free mods are good mods lol

Thanks for the advice Nathan!

Imo unless its a serious race car in a competitive series I wouldn't bother taking anything out. You will loose comfort an d gain such little power you would never notice it

Haha I have that problem, I am 100kg.

I have room to loose 55kg from our check in weight to stay in my current race class, part of my plan to shed that weight is to loose 10kg myself, boy its hard nearing 30 after doing 15 years of heavy weight lifting. I have cut the gym out and am running over an hour a day, I am running the Auckland Marathon before main Targa event.

The rest will be an 5kg Race battery, a carbon bonnet and plastic windows in the back. Like Ice Cube I cant live with out my Radio. The Aircon is helpful when you are lined up weighting for a rally stage in the middle of summer or touring 100km between stages.

Its funny the E30 has that much sound deadening but they they are still loud on the road IMO, my reasonably modern car had a very small amount of traditional tar sound deadening, most of it was foam.

Edited by Apex

Fill your car with helium, that'll make it lighter. And will make you voice sound funny :P good times

Yep Nathan is correct re sound deadening - from memory I took 23kgs of it out of the race car - most in the boot

Also, you may think extra noise isnt too bad and you'll never take it long distance, but you'd be surprised at how much of a PITA some things are just on the trip to Manfeild. My seats for example, they kill my back just in that 1.5hrs. And I'm glad my exhaust is standard, cos I couldnt handle that too haha.

I cant recall my car been much louder (if at all) without the sound deadening. Tho with no sound deadening and no carpet it was pretty rowdy.

One suggestion though is to not remove the heat-shielding in the engine bay, as this makes the floors VERY hot when your pushing it haha. I regret doing that to the racecar...

After your advice at this stage i decided I'm leaving the sound deadening in the cabin where it is. It seems to be single layered there, and I'll take the foam off the back of the carpet. All the sound deadening in the boot is going to be removed though, I have removed some already, and it's actually quite easy to do.

Hmm, I did think that Paul, I have removed the rear section of the exhaust heat shielding, and modified the front piece so that I could get my exhaust mounted higher. I mighqt make a custom shield for it at some stage.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I removed the boot deadning... all two layers of it. apparently it's ballast for air conditioned cars? no idea.

but it's not that much louder... anyone know if Dynamat is lighter than stock sound deadning?

could be an idea for you since it's something you'd want to do right, once.

Just removed the top layer, I'm amazedat how heavy it is! Still have the second layer to go, but it's stuck down a lot firmer than the top. Do you have any tips michael? As far as a ballast goes, it's possible, though my uk spec 316i didnt have ac but had the tar shite

I estimate weight loss so far to be over the 100kg mark so far since last driving the car, With most of it over the rear end, so I'm unsure what benefits it will give me, seeing as e30s are notoriously light out back in the first place and I had traction issues if I wanted them as it was. Have removed the stereo system which included 2x subwoofers and 3x amplifiers, and removal of liners and sound deadners, and also the roof racks, not that they weighed much as they were aluminum. I'll borrow a set of scales to do a final weigh when I'm done, and maybe then take the car to a weighbridge nearby and measure the difference between stock, mine with interior, and mine with seats and carpet removed except drivers seat. Should be a good experiement

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I used a butane torch and a scraper. removed ALL the carpets, tire, as much as I could... dry ice would be 1000x safer.

What does dry ice do? I've heard people talk about it for all sorts of things but I don't even know what it is..? Sorry if this sounds noob

Dry ice freezes things. ON your sound deadening it frezes it solid so when hit with a hammer it shatters off instead of pealing of a goey mess

I let mine sit in the sun and heat up. It then peeled off in big chunks.

great thing with dry ice is there is no sticky crap to try and get off...

In addition to what's already been said, heater core and air box thing has been removed and I shaved some of the foam off the carpet. The latter is a bit of a waste of time to be honest, but regarding the former, it was cracked anyway and some of the sliders didn't work, so out with it. Unsure whether to replace it or not, but Jon from jksouthern suggested rainx or using the strips the back windows use, as apparently you need a front demister for for and scrutineering. I think I need to invest in some bathroom scales to get some numbers!!