Sign in to follow this  
Carlkb

Compact tarmac rally car

Hi

Car looks great. Just wondering who you had do your suede dash?

Looking good! Are they off the shelf Koni's or something you have made up out of modified stock stuff and put koni stickers on?

Dash was done by Tim the upholsterer. We use him at work but unsure about the companys name. Will find out tho.

Shocks are Koni and I got them from Stocks. They've been really good to deal with.

I had a bit of a clearance issue on the rears but I managed to heat up the wheel well and get it to move pretty easy.

Edited by Steve K-B

Looking good Steve. Just, umm, keep doing what ya doing!

Ready for Targa in October I reckon Steve, I hear your cuz Adrian from Oz is coming over to help out, he has the same sickness as I when it comes to cars.

Getting close!

Posted Image

When you see it you will freak.

Eminem's ghost is lurking.

Ready for Targa in October I reckon Steve, I hear your cuz Adrian from Oz is coming over to help out, he has the same sickness as I when it comes to cars.

When you see it you will freak.

Eminem's ghost is lurking.

Yeah Hes coming over to co drive for Mark and yes the same sickness hah!

Not to sure about the Eminem thing tho?! :blink:

Im bloody excited to see this happening! Its been a long time coming

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dude.. so bad ass. It funny how. When its painted it just looks all together all of a sudden.

The problem you run into is tyre availability and price, from a racers point of view a 17" wheel makes more sense.

A 18x9 would get you into a 235/40/18 Semislick, if you run Targa and want Federal's they do not offer them in that size in an optimum compound, I have run the "med" and its not suited on a car 1200 odd KG's, really struggling to get them up to heat.

I know Mike Lea was running a 235/40/17 in a soft compound and found it great, was much cheaper also.

Any narower than a 9" wheel and you will be on the limit of where you want to mount your average 235 without it being too wide, we have to run a 225 on our 18's and they are 8.25" wide.

Edited by apex

I like that second set. Im sticking to 17s as there cheaper tyres and I can steel the half used ones my old man and brother dont want. You should see our pile of tyes at home... Its ridiculous.

Good point above too.

Check out my new heater core, Its tiney! It fits in the palm of my hand haha... Im plumbing it up so it run through the windscreen vents for a demister. It has a supprising amount of air flow out of it but I hope its big enough to do the job.

Posted Image

Sweet ... stick with a none dished wheel in 17inch .. a nice flat face and it will look and perform awesome. Also wont weigh that much.

Im just thinking wheels that will fill the gaurds .. maybe a low offset 5 series wheel with some rings pressed in might be your cheapest bet. However if your using it for targa / rally you want more than just a road wheel. BBS are good (and strong) as far as road wheels go but your probably needing something a bit stronger if your doing rally and not just road racing in it.

Ill be buying a set of wheels. I like the bbs rim you commonly see on BMWs, kind of like what's on the car in the earlier photos. Carl likes a set of wheels from team dynamics called pro race 1.2.

I don't have a picture so you'll have to Google them unfortunately. As for filling in the guards, the arches are so big you really need 18s to fill them. 18s aren't an option for me.

Ill be buying a set of wheels. I like the bbs rim you commonly see on BMWs, kind of like what's on the car in the earlier photos. Carl likes a set of wheels from team dynamics called pro race 1.2.

I don't have a picture so you'll have to Google them unfortunately. As for filling in the guards, the arches are so big you really need 18s to fill them. 18s aren't an option for me.

You can buy the Team Dynamic wheels from Autoquip in Penrose, they are not to badly priced either.

With the right offset you should be able to fill the guards enough, how wide are you going?

I tried to pull together a group buy years ago for the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in a 17x9 et22, But got no love.

Old Thread

Still one of the nicer wheels around IMO

Edited by E30-323ti

Im running 17s by 8. I think the offset ive been using is et20? But ill have to double check that. I think dished wheels suit wide track cars but im unsure on this car. Think ill be sticking to a flat wheel face like you said Hybrid. Ill check out Autoquip too, thanks Apex.

Ive been spending all my spare time on the car since ive had it back and have achived a fair amount.

Wiring all in, just waiting on the engine,

Dash is in

Fan/windscreen demister fitted. I got Dan Slater to make up a Y fitting so and fan could blow on both sides of the screen. It turned out really good but I just hope its powerfull enough to work propperly.

kill switch mounted

Intercom in

Fuse box in,

trip meter mounted,

hydraulic hand brake in,

All brake pipes sorted. Now need to get the four rear brake hoses sorted in braided hoses before I can bleed them.

Also got my Diff all sorted. Big thanks to Kayne Barrie for this, It looks brand new and im looking forward to testing how far sideways it'll take me!

Next week:

Sort out M20 starter motor, attach G box then engine in,

Sort out wiring for the windows (I removed all the wiring as I thought I was going to convert it to manual wind up but the roll cage is right in the way of where the handle would go... an oversight!)

Braided brake lines then hopefully ill have a pedal by the weekend.

Brake light switch.

Photos:

This is looking through the fire wall behind the dash

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Steve K-B

Front swaybar is now attached to the struts, was orrigionaly attached to the bottom arm about mid point between the ball joints. If my theory is correct it should be double the strengh but will have to wait and see how it handles...

All the brake lines are now sorted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

new battery!

Posted Image

Diff. 3.9 medium case lsd

Posted Image

Rear end all ready to go back in. I welded some tabs over the OE bolt holes so I could use an eccentric bolts so camber and toe can be adjusted.

Posted Image

Engine is in, waiting for the following before I put the intake manifold on: water hoses for heater core, sorce a starter motor, clutch line brackets and a couple of water line block off caps.

Posted Image

and its finally back on its feet. Height needs adjusting

Posted Image