Sign in to follow this  
Carlkb

Compact tarmac rally car

good stuff! looks like you got a great garage setup too!

Well done. Cant wait to see it in October.

Quick update,

All windows and doors are in, electric windows working, brakes are now feeling good (thanks Mal at Bygone Autos). Seat belts done, front mesh in bumper sorted, fog light block of plates done. Wheels, steering wheel, roll bar padding and a few other bits are on order.

The cooling fan must have had a bent fin and its touched the radiator shroud and bent so far in now catches and stops turning. It was brand new but what can you do... Ill have a look at the smaller sized one to see if that's an option.

Hope to have wheel spacers by the weekend then it off for a wheel alignment on sat morning.

Busy busy!

pull the fan off and see if it runs out of the car, one bolt being over torqued can slightly twist the frame and they run very tight clearances, this is why most fans dont come with solid brackets.

Thanks for the reply but Im still running the BMW viscus set up.

Ill change to an electric fan to get a few more HP after the Targa. In the mean time I have a new fan to put on and it looks straight as so better luck this time.

Just found out I need to make two drive shaft rings for the Cert process made up from 50mm*5mm strap! That would stop a bloody tank haha. Sucks about the extra weight but I suppose at least its in a good area.

off to the barn!

Hi Steve,

Just check on the sq mm needed to comply as I believe you can use 50x5 mm flat for the hoop as a min but need to have 3,000sq mm (50 x60mm) area for the retaining washer or such something odd like that. IF the drive shaft did let go having built the hoop like a tank could just be that saving factor a pain in the rear I know.

Hi Steve,

Just check on the sq mm needed to comply as I believe you can use 50x5 mm flat for the hoop as a min but need to have 3,000sq mm (50 x60mm) area for the retaining washer or such something odd like that. IF the drive shaft did let go having built the hoop like a tank could just be that saving factor a pain in the rear I know.

Thanks for the reply,

Are you saying all it needs is a flat bar across the tunnel? IE not a loop around the driveshaft?

Any idea on where the specs can be found? Its a standard BMW driveshaft... A bit of a silly rule in my opinion but what can we do.

Got my rear wheel spacers today and my new wheels. Not sure what colour ill do them in but that'ill be decided after Targa:

Posted Image

I have an oil pressure problem so have rigged up a secondary gauge to compare with my in car one. Will have to test it on sat but its already to go.

Posted Image

Update:

Ive decided to get a fabricator to make the drive shaft loops, I bought the steel and had a quick go but id need a gas set to bend it in our small vice and to be honest the fabricator will do it quicker and make a much better job a than I ever could. The car is going in for its Cert on Monday and time is an issue. Plans are to pick the car up tomorrow.

Lloyd from Hibiscus Coast Motorsport Club came and checked out the car over the weekend for the authority card so fingers crossed it turns up in the mail tomorrow. Really good guy and he should now be in the US watching the Americas cup. Very Jealous!!

I had a look at a workshop manual and the minimum oil pressure for this engine at idle (when warm) is only 7PSI! The minimum on mine is around 12PSI and that secondary gauge I had hooked up confirmed my in car gauge is correct. A bit of a worry but I am looking at putting in some heavier oil once its run in. I want to hook up bright as f*&k oil light to get my attention if it gets too low.

Getting a set of Federal tyres fitted to the new wheels tomorrow.

The new fan worked out sweet.

Currently working on finishing the front inner guards, then its a couple more bumper supports and hope to sort out an engine miss. Only revs to 5k before cutting out. Have installed a new fuel pump and filter so need to see if that's made any difference.

Cant wait to get it road legal so I can run the thing in!

Edited by Steve K-B

Hi, possibly the best move to get them made up if you don't have the gas set up. As for the hoop no you have to go round the drive shaft 360 degrees and have a minimum of 2 ten mm bolts a side(ten mm shaft dia) retaining it to the body ie ten mm bolt through a 50x 60x 5 mm or 3,000 sq mm area washer, car floor any spacers to make a solid contact ( if required) and the attaching point from the hoop then a shack proof washer or nylock nut. As were to find these should be in LVT spec I went and had a chat to the guy who does the cert's in our area and he went through their spec book with me and showed me what they go by.

I had a look at a workshop manual and the minimum oil pressure for this engine at idle (when warm) is only 7PSI! The minimum on mine is around 12PSI and that secondary gauge I had hooked up confirmed my in car gauge is correct. A bit of a worry but I am looking at putting in some heavier oil once its run in. I want to hook up bright as f*&k oil light to get my attention if it gets too low.

Firstly ... nice work on the car! .. stoked! Even got a little bit excited watching that video :D

Around Oil pressure.. seems to be a funny thing in the S/M50 engines.

My setup for the s50 is a e34 525i oil pickup with modified s50 pump. I have seen as low as 9PSI idling on mine. I tried out just topping the oil up a little bit more and put it down to the design of the e34 525 m50 pickup and sump. My stable pressure at idle is 25PSI and around 40-75PSI driving around.

Ive been mapping it with my new datalogger system and its really interesting seeing what is normal and what isnt.

I also found that when the oil level was below optimum I would even get a running pressure of 14PSI which would trigger alarms on my logger. Conditional: If RPM = or greater than 1500RPM & Oil Pressure is below 15PSI then alert.

I'm working on a safe engine cut if it drops below 7PSI.

EG driving down the motorway at 100kph @ 3kRPM. However driving around corners or putting my foot down would raise the pressure to 50PSI. I put this down to oil cavetation in the sump. My sump could probably benefit from baffling to help stop this.

Interestingly enough, racing around Hampton on slicks and the dreaded long turn 6 .. I was stable @ 50PSI on oil pressure all around and also the rest of the track. So no pickup issues under hard driving which is great.

i spent many hours modding the block/pump setup on my m42/50 the oil flow from the pump to the filter and back is very poor but being patient with a die grinder works well

Here is a diagram from BMW explaining the charateristics of what oil pressures you should expect from a 'normal' BMW engine and oil pump.

I ran this data over my curves in the s50 and I indeed see the same behalvior. Ignore lines 2 and 3 on datamap oil pressure control etc .. Item 1 (Yellow line) is the line youre interested in.

Also added a handy little conversion table to help read it. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for the graph dude, I will have to compare my readings to that as I have them written down some in my book so will have a look for sure. I love your work involved with the electronics. Im fasinated on what you get up to!

The miss seams have gone after clearing some fault codes.

Door cards complete but need to make an interior handle

Going to the dyno early next week

Plan to install some under drive pullys and a new intake over the weekend.

First "event" is the solid slide sessions at Mere mere drag strip on the 12th of October. Not really my thing but im treating it as a bit of a test. Also hope to attend the track day at hampton downs the folowing day.

Its back from the dyno and its now run in and road legal!!!

Taking it to work tomorrow in celebration haha

Its making 180 hp at the wheels and has a very flat touque curve from 2500 to around 6000 or 6500. Will get a photo up soon so its out in the open.

New wheels are on.

Taking it to Pukekohe for a track day on sat so unfortunatly ill have to give the solid slide sessions a miss. Pukes more suited to what I need to do. IE trash it.

Sump guard is the next thing.

Edit: Also with the change of oil to Motul 4100 15w 50 (i think?) the oil pressure has come up to around 1.1 bar when hot at idle. so thats around 14 or 15 psi. Still low in my mind but much better

Edited by Steve K-B

So as it was raining I thought the Solid slide sessions at Meremere was a better option. I have been told some pretty bad stories about the new Puke track in regards to standing water. Anyway, Meremere was great fun and a fantastic place to practice the handbrake. I did over 100km just stuffing about doing skids ^_^ and no problems with the car!

Im sure someone on here sugested they maybe able to take a few photos of the car once it was near completion but cant find there comment.... If any one knows how to work a camera id be keen to get some pictures before it gets stone chipped or worse!

Am happy to pay in beer

Let me know if any of you are keen, I live on the North shore, Auck.

cheers

Sweet, I think that was me, down with taking some photos... Can show ya that steering wheel/logger display of mine. I'm on the shore in forrest hill so easy as. PM on here or message me on facebook.

Mmm that logger system is totally worth a look, Josh was kind enough to give me a run down on it the other night, such a well implemented setup, it really opens a whole range of possibilities, perfect if you're tracking you're car and need to know what is going on in a clear concise way.

Sump guard is 90 percent done. Just have to get a couple of bends in the 4mm alloy plate and its done. Id like to revisit this current set up as the bottom of the radiator is still out in the open but im running out of time. Targa is less than a week away! I really need to make a couple of strong mounting points up front but with an e36 there is nothing structural below the two main chassis rails. Ill have to use a fair amount of steel but thats for another time...

Spare wheel and jack now mounted.

E:

Also have a sparco steering wheel. It feel really nice but I should have got a dished wheel to pull it closer in. The boss kit i measured was a lot longer than the one I ended up with. Will probably be making another trip to Abrasive Waterjet Services to get a large spacer made up.

Edited by Steve K-B

all seems to be going together well, are you going to enter the next slide sessions event? its the hamptondwns gymkhana 30th nov.

all seems to be going together well, are you going to enter the next slide sessions event? its the hamptondwns gymkhana 30th nov.

Sounds like fun but im unsure at the moment. I'm really looking forward to a break from cars haha.

Here are the dyno results

4070ffe6-c2f8-4ffa-ac92-a3f5578ae8fd_zps

I adjusted the height then weighed the car and was shocked how even it ended up!! This is race ready with spare tyre, about 10ltrs of fuel but no driver or codriver etc.

2013-10-27171147_zpsc26cd99e.jpg

This is what it looks like with my imported australian cousin in the co drivers seat and me in the drivers seat.

2013-10-27171839_zps0313b80d.jpg

Minimum weight for the car is 1350kgs so I have to find about 50kgs of weight to strap in. Will proabably put it under the spare tyre as its easy and im still having problems with too much rear brake bias/ lock up.

Bring on Targa!