Sign in to follow this  
Carlkb

Compact tarmac rally car

Congrats Steve, 2nd in Modern 2WD and 4th out right, awesome result for a new build car.

Pat on the back for Bimmersports fastest car, shows its who's behind the wheel not what power you have at the wheels!

I got to have a bit of a perv over your car at targa. Congrats on building something so tidy that performs so well. How did you find the federals?

Thanks guys!

The car was faultless. Its so easy to drive any one could have done well. Im over the moon that the only problems we had were a few loose bolts. So stoked to finish esp as my codriver made the effort to come all the way from Auz.

The results are unbelievable, A lot of fast guys in front either fell of the road or had mechanical problems. The thing im stoked with is that we won the second to last stage! Haha, Hard to believe really.

The tyres were good. I dont really have experiance with anything else all though i did run the "wet" tyres for the first two days and put the sticky tyres on for the last two days. Both were good.

Not sure if this video will work but here is a shot of a successful handbrake on stage one.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=731154486898201&set=vb.111653718848284&type=2&theater

Yep it works fine (video) as did the handbrake, noisy little bugger haha have fun and enjoy it after all the hard work.

I saw you parked outside mobil in taupo yesterday morning. really wanted to stop and say hi but was already very late to work.

though if i had been on time i wouldnt have seen you at all i guess.

We were having a well earnd brecky at the cafe next door, glad you saw it!

Just had a closer look at the car and the only damage is a few stone chips, a large patch of paint that came off with a sticker and a worn guard liner that must have been touching the wheel on full lock. Its all washed and parked up ready for the next event. Looks like I might be coming to the next slide sessinos event at hampton, going to take some mates for a ride as an apology for my anti socialness during the build haha.

Still stoked to have it in one piece!

So the Targa has almost rolled around and Ive made a few updates so though id share them.

The cars pretty much the same as last year but Ive managed to finish off a few things I didn't get time to do last year. These include:

-Longer sump guard with a front pick up point that will now help protect the radiator

- Co drivers foot brace with horn/trip computer reset buttons.

- Awesome new graphic design, powder coated wheels, tints etc

- E36 M3 headers (now making 173 HP.... down from 182HP at wheels haha but on a different dyno so hard to tell the true difference)

- Have done maintenance things like replaced bottom arms, all oils and fluids, rear wheel bearings etc

- a few other bits and pieces mainly aimed at stopping my uncanny ability to spin out.

Front sump guard pick up point, Can also be used as a jacking point

IMG_2054_zpsb90d8d86.jpg

IMG_2055_zps65ceecc1.jpg

Foot brace

IMG_2072_zpsb2c500c4.jpg

Got the wheels powder coated in "telecom green" but I Kind of want to keep the graphics to my self until the start of the event haha.

Should have masked the mating surface before they were painted. Probably took an hour to clean them up. Silly lol

IMG_2052_zps86e7da38.jpg

IMG_2053_zps43a3f22b.jpg

Think i saw it on the motorway on the shore yesterday heading south, looks good!

watch the new paint on the wheel nut face as it can quite often lead to nuts getting loose very easily.

Many seem to scratch the paint away on this surface with a scored nut head

I know I posted this in another section but Id like to keep these my car related stuff in this thread.

The new video, skids up Crown range during Targa

Edited by Steve K-B

Steve, any chance that you can post up the non edited version?

I'm keen to check out your style and pace side by side with my own (cough).

I did the same a few years ago with Greg Spark and its very interesting what you pick up on.

With greg I was faster throu the twisties but he held more speed on crests and high speed sweepers.

Edited by Beeker2
  • Like 1

So... The car is getting an upgrade this year!

I was getting a little underwhelmed by the power this car made so the old M52 is being replaced with the E46 M3 S54. I picked it up maybe 7 months a go.

I did a lot of the work last year but didn't have time to finish it before Targa Bambina so the M52 went back in three days before the event... then I threw it off the road and did some panel damage early on day one.... Yay for me...

Anyhow, the car is on the mend and the S54 is now well on the way.

Heres a photo as of last week:

IMG_0431_zpsg2xt7k80.jpg

• Like 3

Here I was thinking I would be the only one rocking a fast compact. What did you have to do in terms of drive shaft hoops to get a cert?

Yeah sorry James haha. What are you putting into yours?

I had to get two hoops made up as it was a two piece drive shaft, This was done when the car was first built tho.

S50B32 (310rwhp) and 6 speed. Drive shaft hoops are the only thing I have yet to sort out then I should be able to fly through the cert process as the car is using nearly all factory parts.

Sweet, that things going to fly! I'm a big believer of using OEM parts too. Easy to replace and they work well, What diff ratio are you running?

3.91, it was hitting the limit of 221km/h at Hampton in 5th when all the gear was in the e30, never used to be a problem until I rebuilt the motor and got a more flat power curve.

During the reshell the option was to either put a taller diff in or go 6 speed. I chose 6 speed in order to keep the gearing close, even did a fancy spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JomWx1T9e1GLv4BQrFc0F50lWsIzDf1PR95ZBQ0AXoc/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

I'm running the same 6 speed and diff setup but limiting the engine to 7500rpm for the time being. Have to finish 1000km of rallying during the upcoming Targa. the engine is second hand so Kayne Barrie has replace the vanos bolts and big end bearings as they are a common problem and were quite worn.

Am also trying to make it possible to be able to swap the old M52 back in if I have problems. Wiring is the next hurdle.

Edited by Steve K-B